Voodoo Lab IRs from AxeFest West?

I have been using the Snoize Sysex Librarian to load my IR's. All I do is view the layout on the front panel, go to the cab block, scroll to the user IR slot I want to load, and then send the IR to the Axe and it saves it to that slot.

Yeah, but MaxTwang and I aren't having that kind of luck, unfortunately. There's a thread on the bug forum about it. Glad to hear it works for you! All I appear to be able to do is have one slot that lets me audition a cab via AxeOMatic, in User 1, but I can't either rename or save that to a different slot via the front panel. Only that one slot is available to me.

Greiswig did you see my response to your post on the AE bug thread where I described 2 work arounds?

Yeah, but MaxTwang and I aren't having that kind of luck, unfortunately. There's a thread on the bug forum about it. Glad to hear it works for you! All I appear to be able to do is have one slot that lets me audition a cab via AxeOMatic, in User 1, but I can't either rename or save that to a different slot via the front panel. Only that one slot is available to me.

Sorry Brother, Thats a bummer that you are having issues with this. I really havent been following the Axe edit failure threads, because I know it's busted, and what's the point of talking about the obvious.

I'm trying to overcome this issue with AE not dealing with user cab slots in AxeManage, so that I can get some new cabs loaded into those slots by using the "audition" mode of AxeOMatic, then moving the auditioned cab from User 1 to wherever. Otherwise I am stuck with no apparent way to edit User cabs until the new AE is released.

I just found the section of the front panel Utility UI for IR cap, where I can see very clearly the name (e.g. "Axe-O-Matic DSP Audition IR Mix" if I've scrolled to User 1 after auditioning an IR), and I can then select the "save to #" dialog to save that to another slot, apparently. I can even rename it if I want to. At that point, it seems intuitive to me that I should have two slots with the same IR, I think: User 1 should still have the "Axe-O-Matic DSP Audition IR Mix" in it, and the slot that I picked to save it to should have the same IR with whatever I named it, or the same name if I didn't do anything to change that.

But...

...when I actually go back to a preset and try moving between those two user slots, they sound totally different. I think the slot that I saved to still has the IR that was saved to it when AxeManage was still working right and could write to the User slots properly.

Am I just wrong as to what the real purpose of this IR Cap tab is in the Utility menu? I'm fearful that this tab is ONLY for doing the automatic IR capture, and that there really IS no way to move or edit User cabs from the front panel. Is that true?

(EDIT) Now I'm sure that last part is the case. Since I am using stereo cabs with one of Jay's FF cabs in the second slot and a User cab in the first, I was getting fooled: hitting "Save" on this tab merely overwrites the existing IR with the one that you captured...or in this case didn't capture. So that slot now has no IR. All I was hearing was Jay's FF on the second channel.

Last edited:
Anyone else having trouble downloading these? The zip didn't work for me so I tried individually on Axechange but quite a few showed error messages..

I'm trying to overcome this issue with AE not dealing with user cab slots in AxeManage, so that I can get some new cabs loaded into those slots by using the "audition" mode of AxeOMatic, then moving the auditioned cab from User 1 to wherever. Otherwise I am stuck with no apparent way to edit User cabs until the new AE is released.

What Axe firmware are you on? What operating system on your PC or Mac?

When using Axe Manage: After you coy or import an IR into an AE Manage user slot do you then highlight the user slot, right click, click on Send To Axe Fx, then click on Selected Cab or Changes Only? Just moving cabs in Axe Manage isn't enough, you have to send the new IRs and/or locations to the Axe.

The middle User Cab column in Axe Manage shows the cab in the Axe, the first column is what's loaded in Axe Manage and the third column is the IR file in the Axe Fx/cabs directory in Axe Edit's workspace - it can be confusing as each of the 3 User Cab columns could be pointing to a different IR when, intuitively, one would expect all 3 columns to reference what is in the Axe Fx.

If it doesn't work have you tried quitting then restarting Axe Edit, restarting Axe Edit seems to fix things (temporarily) when I Get a cab from the Axe to Axe Manage then Export but end up with an unusable file. Sometimes an existing file with the same name in workspace/Axe Fx/cabs has to be deleted before Get Cab From Axe Fx will successfully retrieve and locally save the IR.

With all the excitement over IRs, and all the money I've recently spent on mics and pres, it'll be great to have Axe Edit working smoothly.

What Axe firmware are you on? What operating system on your PC or Mac?

When using Axe Manage: After you coy or import an IR into an AE Manage user slot do you then highlight the user slot, right click, click on Send To Axe Fx, then click on Selected Cab or Changes Only? Just moving cabs in Axe Manage isn't enough, you have to send the new IRs and/or locations to the Axe.

The middle User Cab column in Axe Manage shows the cab in the Axe, the first column is what's loaded in Axe Manage and the third column is the IR file in the Axe Fx/cabs directory in Axe Edit's workspace - it can be confusing as each of the 3 User Cab columns could be pointing to a different IR when, intuitively, one would expect all 3 columns to reference what is in the Axe Fx.

If it doesn't work have you tried quitting then restarting Axe Edit, restarting Axe Edit seems to fix things (temporarily) when I Get a cab from the Axe to Axe Manage then Export but end up with an unusable file. Sometimes an existing file with the same name in workspace/Axe Fx/cabs has to be deleted before Get Cab From Axe Fx will successfully retrieve and locally save the IR.

With all the excitement over IRs, and all the money I've recently spent on mics and pres, it'll be great to have Axe Edit working smoothly.

MaxTwang, I did see that just now. Thank you for that! I edited my post above to reflect new learnings. The short of it is that your idea of using the "Audition" function in AxeManage seems to be working for me for now. Doesn't leave me with a lot of confidence, but it seems to work.

OK, so this IR set includes IRs for "Room Back Wall", "Room Facing", and "Room Wood Floor".

Can anyone enlighten me on how best to use these?

I think those are supposed to be mixed with other "regular" mic positions

OK, I'll be more specific. :)

If you are using the other IRs, do you use just one or do you mix them using software so that you have all of them mixed together? What percentages do you use?

Back
Top Bottom