volume pots

REDD

Fractal Fanatic
I keep going through volume pots on my two main guitars. Anyone recommend a good type or brand? I use passive pickups.

What are you doing that kills them so fast?

Check out the Bourns Model 82 sealed guitar pots. I haven't tried them myself but I know they make high quality pots for other audio applications.

http://www.mojotone.com/guitar-parts/Potentiometers_x/Bourns-Model-82-500KA-Guitar-Potentiometer
http://www.bourns.com/data/global/pdfs/Bourns_SC1030 Model 82 Vintg and 95 Prem Gtr Pots Appnote.pdf
Thanks! I was just looking at the Seymour Duncan Malmsteen pots made by Bourns. I think that is what I might go with. I do a lot of volume swells and I also have a habit of turning my volume off every time I stop playing a chord. Its the way back in the day I stopped noise and feedback because I play loud with a lot of gain.

I'm a sucker for the EVH low friction pots, which I hear are OEMs of Bourne low friction pots.

This has become a problem for me since getting the Axe-Fx. With all of the previous amp modelers that I have owned, the volume knobs on my guitars were kinda useless. Now because of the Axe-Fx, I have worn them out on two guitars..........oh, and they both need fret jobs now too.:)

Thanks! I was just looking at the Seymour Duncan Malmsteen pots made by Bourns. I think that is what I might go with. I do a lot of volume swells and I also have a habit of turning my volume off every time I stop playing a chord. Its the way back in the day I stopped noise and feedback because I play loud with a lot of gain.

Just for the record, I went through that pot pretty fast, it didn't seem to last as long as I thought it would or should. I go through them so quick these days that I buy three packs now from Amazon. I just realized that I use my volume pot way more than most, really easy too, when you have a fractal product, my volume knob is what gives me variety of tone in a preset, you can play clean, dirty, whatever using your volume knob, of course you all know that. So every two or three months I put a new one in. It's actually about time to do it now.

Amazon product ASIN B008I5IRWM

My personal favorite are the PRS volume pots. I put them in everything I own. They are low friction and have damn near perfect taper (2=20%, 10=100%). They use to be close to $30 but now they run around the $10 mark. I've never found out who makes them for PRS but my guess would be Bourns.

My personal favorite are the PRS volume pots. I put them in everything I own. They are low friction and have damn near perfect taper (2=20%, 10=100%). They use to be close to $30 but now they run around the $10 mark. I've never found out who makes them for PRS but my guess would be Bourns.
Where do you get them? for me, I love trying out different pots. It's one of the things I feel gives me control of my tone, as I stated above.

+1 PRS pots are the s**t

It doesn't seem like they make a 250k. That's what I would need for my strat.
No they don't make 250K as far as I know, but I buy mine from PRS or John Mann's Guitar Vault. Never had one fail and I have used them for years. Hands down my favorite pots. I use the 500K PRS pots with DiMarzio single coils and never have a problem with them. If they sound too bright, roll back the tone control a bit because the volume pots have a treble bleed on them which I also prefer.

How long does it last? it is expensive, but if I never have to change it ever again, hmmm...

I just realized that store is in my state. They actually have a guitar show every year. I have been to it a few times.

https://www.tubesandmore.com/
I just read in the new Guitar World that Eddie Van Halen is testing a new volume pot on this tour that is absolutely noise free ,its the only pot he has found that he can play Cathedral without any noise or crackle or pop. It also says they have tested pot after pot and this one is the only silent and good for a million turns. They should have them available as an accessory soon from his EVH company.

I've been using the Yngwie version and love the feel. It hasn't been but a year or so, no issues yet

Back
Top Bottom