Volume Pedal in front of FM3?

Why not mix those two signals inside your FM3? Then you'll have only one feed going to FOH, and you won't have to rely on the sound guy for it.
Sounds completely different. It's a flat sound and I'm running out of the FM3 to a Line6 powercab and am using the cab ir and speaker in it
Hm. I was a little afraid of this scenario. You are sending signals to two different places. You can put the volume pedal after output 1 which will cut that signal. Or you can put the volume pedal after output 2 to cut that signal. However, unless you use two volume pedals and do some tap dancing you won’t be cutting both signals at the same time.

How about getting a MIDI expression pedal. That would solve it. Or something like THIS. Edit: And because you’re already using the midi ports you might also need one of THESE. Lol. Getting a little complicated but you gotta do what you gotta do. :)

It may not matter now but hopefully the cables you got were XLR to TS. Not XLR to TRS. The XLR-TS cable would definitely have worked. The XLR-TRS may or may not work. Again it may be a moot point because of my first paragraph above.
Yes 2 volume pedals are being used as seen in the pic.

Gonna try the volume control after Out1 tonight, already have the other volume pedal after Out2, that's been there a while.

As for doing it internally as someone mentioned and just going out Out 1 with both signals. I use Line 6 powercabs and use the speaker irs built into them. The Out2 signal is typically a very clean, no amp no cab sound going to the PA whereas through Out 1 it would hit that Speaker/cab ir which is usually like a V30. Won't get the same sound at all. And the soundman doesn't come into the pic, hence the other volume pedal

As for doing it internally as someone mentioned and just going out Out 1 with both signals. I use Line 6 powercabs and use the speaker irs built into them. The Out2 signal is typically a very clean, no amp no cab sound going to the PA whereas through Out 1 it would hit that Speaker/cab ir which is usually like a V30. Won't get the same sound at all. And the soundman doesn't come into the pic, hence the other volume pedal
Now I’m confused. Out1 goes to your Powercabs, and Out2 is an ampless, direct sound that goes to FOH?

Now I’m confused. Out1 goes to your Powercabs, and Out2 is an ampless, direct sound that goes to FOH?

I am equally as confused as to why you would want to run outputs this way:

Sounds completely different. It's a flat sound and I'm running out of the FM3 to a Line6 powercab and am using the cab ir and speaker in it

Is that a good thing? You want your presets to sound "flatter" or different/cab-less? Based on your signal chain logic, sounds like you only have the cab going to L6 powercab, and the amp to the FOH? Not criticizing, just really trying to understand why you would run things that way. Having a cab is simulating a mic'd cab to any system, so having it this way makes things tougher to dial in "that" tone. To each their own anyhow.

For the EXP original issue, looks like you are out of options for having a 3rd way to modify/control parameters specifically volume. Unless you run your guitar cable right into it as an "active volume pedal", but it can have an impact on how well your presets sound.

Any other ideas Fractalites, maybe @Rex ?

I am equally as confused as to why you would want to run outputs this way:

Is that a good thing? You want your presets to sound "flatter" or different/cab-less? Based on your signal chain logic, sounds like you only have the cab going to L6 powercab, and the amp to the FOH? Not criticizing, just really trying to understand why you would run things that way. Having a cab is simulating a mic'd cab to any system, so having it this way makes things tougher to dial in "that" tone. To each their own anyhow.

For the EXP original issue, looks like you are out of options for having a 3rd way to modify/control parameters specifically volume. Unless you run your guitar cable right into it as an "active volume pedal", but it can have an impact on how well your presets sound.

Any other ideas Fractalites, maybe @Rex ?
Yeah definitely not getting what I'm trying (apparently poorly) to explain. It is irrelevant though as I am using both outputs for other purposes and can not replicate what I'm doing with these outputs with anything suggested.

But I'll try once more. My output 1 goes to a powercab at which point it picks up the cab ir from the powercab and it also goes out the DI of the powercab to a channel on the PA. This is my main guitar sound.

The output 2 is a row in the patch that has no cab sim and is generally just like chorus, plex delay, reverb deal (any combo of those). One of my exp control the volume of that.

The problem with just programming the sound going out Out 2 and combining that with the Out 1 is that it will pick up the cab ir in the powercab which for me, sounds better than using the irs in the FM3 itself. I sometime even use a piezo with that Out 2 sound it';s super clean and a cab ir will take away from it (especially since I usually use V30s irs, not the cleanest speaker)

Hope that makes more sense. Got the XLR to TRS 1/4: gonna try volume control after the Out 1 thanks for all the help again.

'

yup, that's correct. And a key here is the ir I use for my main guitar tone is in the powercab (and yes I prefer using that to the irs in the FM3) so I can't combine signals to Out 1

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but a good reason to use an Expression pedal like the Fractal EV-1 or EV-2 to control volume is that using it this way keeps the signal nice and hot at the A/D converter and scales it afterwards.

Hope that makes more sense. Got the XLR to TRS 1/4: gonna try volume control after the Out 1 thanks for all the help again.
Again, be aware that XLR to TRS may not work with your volume pedal. So if you try it and are having issues it’s most likely the cable. Good luck!

Yeah definitely not getting what I'm trying (apparently poorly) to explain. It is irrelevant though as I am using both outputs for other purposes and can not replicate what I'm doing with these outputs with anything suggested.

But I'll try once more. My output 1 goes to a powercab at which point it picks up the cab ir from the powercab and it also goes out the DI of the powercab to a channel on the PA. This is my main guitar sound.

The output 2 is a row in the patch that has no cab sim and is generally just like chorus, plex delay, reverb deal (any combo of those). One of my exp control the volume of that.

The problem with just programming the sound going out Out 2 and combining that with the Out 1 is that it will pick up the cab ir in the powercab which for me, sounds better than using the irs in the FM3 itself. I sometime even use a piezo with that Out 2 sound it';s super clean and a cab ir will take away from it (especially since I usually use V30s irs, not the cleanest speaker)

'
Okay, now I get it. The missing piece was that your external IR is also feeding FOH. I was picturing you trying to balance your Powercab stage sound with the house PA. :)

So yeah, the issue is that you need one more expression pedal than your gear will accommodate. Your choices are either 1) get a MiDI expression pedal, or 2) get an FC, which will allow you to add four more expression pedals (and four external footswitches, if you want).

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned it, but a good reason to use an Expression pedal like the Fractal EV-1 or EV-2 to control volume is that using it this way keeps the signal nice and hot at the A/D converter and scales it afterwards.

Hm? You mean using an expression pedal to control a volume block, right? Or are you talking about using the volume in/out jacks on the EV?

It was mentioned. He said he didn’t want to add that much size to his rig.
I don't think it would actually take up any more room than he has already used width wise. He could even potentially stairstack the FM over the FC use two db E4's and shrink his foot print by quite a bit.

Just throwing out ideas here, but what about splitting the guitar signal before it goes into the FM3, with a volume pedal and DI that bypasses everything and goes straight to the mixer for the clean sound?

Just throwing out ideas here, but what about splitting the guitar signal before it goes into the FM3, with a volume pedal and DI that bypasses everything and goes straight to the mixer for the clean sound?
The DI sound to PA is using effects from the FM3.

Thanks all, none of these work for me, I don't want to extend my on-stage gear beyond my pedalboard which an FC-6 or 12 would definitely do. I'll have to get used to 2 expression pedals doing it all for now.

PS I tried the volume pedal after the FM3 Out and there is considerable volume lost I guess going from balanced to unbalanced.

Back
Top Bottom