Volume Pedal in front of FM3?

EricGlass

Inspired
Hey all.

I have a situation where I am trying to run an Ernie Ball jr VIP volume Pedal (not expression) pedal in front of the FM3 and I am getting a volume control effect like one would with a guitar volume potentiometer, which does make sense as it has a potentiometer in it but I was looking for a volume sweep only, not a change in gain/tone etc. The "normal" tone of the patch is only reached when the volume pedal is wide open. I saw online somewhere a person said they've ran one in front of their Axe FXII for years with no problem, but maybe they don't mind that changing of tone, there was no mention of that.

My 2 EXP pedal in/outs are already committed to exp pedals doing other things. That is why I am trying the volume control in front of the FM3.

Has anybody had any experience with running a volume pedal into an FM3?

This is exactly how a volume pedal should act in front of the FM3. As you observed, it's acting like a volume pot on your guitar and is changing the gain & tone.

Since your two expression pedal ports are in use, you could put the volume pedal in the loop (OUT2>Volume pedal>IN2) and then place the loop in the chain where it does what you want. Ex, after the amp block.

This is exactly how a volume pedal should act in front of the FM3. As you observed, it's acting like a volume pot on your guitar and is changing the gain & tone.

Since your two expression pedal ports are in use, you could put the volume pedal in the loop (OUT2>Volume pedal>IN2) and then place the loop in the chain where it does what you want. Ex, after the amp block.
Thanks, I'm using the Out 2 for something else that is critical so I guess that's a no-go

I guess the only way would be to put the volume pedal between the FM3 and the PA if it were XLR which it isn't

Look into a midi controller. I have an airstep and love it. It has two expression pedal connections so you could run the two on the fm3 that are already committed and have another two off of the airstep. I have not used the two extra but they are there if needed. Just a thought. Probably many ways to skin this cat.

Look into a midi controller. I have an airstep and love it. It has two expression pedal connections so you could run the two on the fm3 that are already committed and have another two off of the airstep. I have not used the two extra but they are there if needed. Just a thought. Probably many ways to skin this cat.
Not sure I know how that device works in this regard however I am using both midi ports to run Fracpad so it may be a moot point.

Sorry, missed that. Anyway, even if you were able to put the EB pedal after the OUT XLRs you would cut the delay/reverb tails.
That's actually acceptable and I expected that, not running it through an exp pedal. I want this as an overall volume control to adjust live, not for switching between sounds.

Not sure how to do it, I assume get an xlr to 1/4" converter...I already have DI boxes to convert back to XLR. Just not sure if that will mess up the signal in anyway way..switching from low to high impedance to use the volume pedal and then back to low again through a DI box.

That's actually acceptable and I expected that, not running it through an exp pedal. I want this as an overall volume control to adjust live, not for switching between sounds.

Not sure how to do it, I assume get an xlr to 1/4" converter...I already have DI boxes to convert back to XLR. Just not sure if that will mess up the signal in anyway way..switching from low to high impedance to use the volume pedal and then back to low again through a DI box.

Impedance isn’t set by the connection type. A low impedance signal stays low on both XLR and 1/4” and viceversa. I think the only difference would be that XLR out is balanced, while a mono 1/4” jack is not. Tipically XLR to 1/4” converters have TRS (stereo) jacks.

Sorry, man; looks like you're going to have to choose. Is there no way you can re-purpose the In/Out 2 or either of the pedal slots? As @TD77 noted, a MIDI expression pedal is probably gonna be the way to go. You could throw a Behringer FCB1010 into your mix and have TWO additional expression pedals :yum:

I think the ideal place for a volume pedal is between the cab and delay/verb; that way, you get the full tone of the preset, but with the flexibility of volume swells prior to the time-based stuff; like how Petrucci uses his volume pedal.

Not sure I know how that device works in this regard however I am using both midi ports to run Fracpad so it may be a moot point.

Can you share what you are using the other 2 expression pedals for and maybe we re-route/reuse the features within the FM3 to accomplish the 2 EXP limit? Scene modifiers and/or other modifiers might solve for some of this so you can use a VOL block to do what you're going for.

Another potential solution could be to purchase a FC-6 as an addition to your lineup and plug one of your expression pedals into that as EXP3/4? If you're going for an all fractal solution, that seems like a reasonable/flexible route depending on what you're looking to achieve.

Sorry. That’s over my head. Lol. I’m a self
Admitted “mIdiot” but I was able to figure out setting up the controller and it’s all the setup functionality I need. Good luck.

Okay, what are you using both outputs for?

You basically just need the volume pedal to come after the FM3 in the chain. If you want to put it after output 1, you just need an XLR to TS cable.

Or just get an FC6. :)

My output 1 is my main out, and Out 2 goes to a different channel on the PA, usually an amp block-less super clean sound brought in at times to mix in with the Out 1 sound. It is a huge sound mixed with the Out 1 that I get complimented on a lot live so it's not going anywhere.

I've got a 30" pedal train board that everything fits nicely on and all my stuff fits in its case. I can get it in and out at a gig in a few minutes so adding something major like a FC6 while nice, isn't really option.

I've got a few XLR to TSRs coming by Amazon today so I'll route the FM3 out to the volume pedal and out to PA.

To those who suggested just assigning one of the Expression pedals to a volume block, I do have some patches like that, when the only other thing I am using exp pedals for is like a wah, or a single effect but I lot of time I am also bringing sounds through the Out 2/Pedal 2 and using the EXP pedal 1 for other things. I'm mainly in a rock/country/dance pop cover band that is 3 piece and vocals so guitar needs to take up a lot of mix. With this, I am running 2 exp pedals and 2 volume pedals (another volume pedal runs an EHX C9 organ machine off a split signal from an AB box).

Here it is, nvm all the cords and mess, it's usually all tied down, cables out of the way and neat but everything is undone while I reconfigure it.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions :)pedalboard.jpg

Last edited:
My output 1 is my main out, and Out 2 goes to a different channel on the PA, usually an amp block-less super clean sound brought in at times to mix in with the Out 1 sound. It is a huge sound mixed with the Out 1 that I get complimented on a lot live so it's not going anywhere.

I've got a 30" pedal train board that everything fits nicely on and all my stuff fits in its case. I can get it in and out at a gig in a few minutes so adding something major like a FC6 while nice, isn't really option.

I've got a few XLR to TSRs coming by Amazon today so I'll route the FM3 out to the volume pedal and out to PA.

To those who suggested just assigning one of the Expression pedals to a volume block, I do have some patches like that, when the only other thing I am using exp pedals for is like a wah, or a single effect but I lot of time I am also bringing sounds through the Out 2/Pedal 2 and using the EXP pedal 1 for other things. I'm mainly in a rock/country/dance pop cover band that is 3 piece and vocals so guitar needs to take up a lot of mix. With this, I am running 2 exp pedals and 2 volume pedals (another volume pedal runs an EHX C9 organ machine off a split signal from an AB box).

Here it is, nvm all the cords and mess, it's usually all tied down, cables out of the way and neat but everything is undone while I reconfigure it.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions :)View attachment 84197

Hm. I was a little afraid of this scenario. You are sending signals to two different places. You can put the volume pedal after output 1 which will cut that signal. Or you can put the volume pedal after output 2 to cut that signal. However, unless you use two volume pedals and do some tap dancing you won’t be cutting both signals at the same time.

How about getting a MIDI expression pedal. That would solve it. Or something like THIS. Edit: And because you’re already using the midi ports you might also need one of THESE. Lol. Getting a little complicated but you gotta do what you gotta do. :)

It may not matter now but hopefully the cables you got were XLR to TS. Not XLR to TRS. The XLR-TS cable would definitely have worked. The XLR-TRS may or may not work. Again it may be a moot point because of my first paragraph above.

Last edited:
View attachment 84197
Why not mix those two signals inside your FM3? Then you'll have only one feed going to FOH, and you won't have to rely on the sound guy for it.

Back
Top Bottom