Volume Block with expression pedal issues...

King Tone

Inspired
My question concerns using an expression pedal to control the volume block.

I have been using the axe fx for a long time with a cable from my guitar to a buffer on my pedalboard to a volume pedal and back to the axe input. I recently rewired my board so I could use the expression jack (boss fv500L) to control volume. I wanted to be able to reduce volume levels but have full gain(volume block after the amp model but before delays, etc.) Here is my issue, I don't think it works very well…maybe it is my settings or I need to calibrate again..? For example if I fade in the pedal really slow sometimes it does not even turn up the sound, stays silent. My other two expression pedals work perfectly bringing up delay levels, chorus levels, wah usage, etc, but the volume function does not seem right.

So, are there optimum settings in the volume block to make it work better? What about optimum settings on the menu where you set the expression pedal?

What are you controlling in the volume block? Can you show a video or audio of the problem?

If the pedal is good, and it's calibrated. Check to see if auto-engage is on?

Ok, I think I have it solved. I am controlling the knob called volume in the volume block. I can play around with the taper part after performing loud but the main thing (under edit modifier) is the auto engage must be on fast position for the pedal to act like a regular volume pedal hooked up to a regular amp.

Thanks for the replies!

I have the same issue. Volume pedal is erratic on the Volume Block. Volume doesn't quite turn off, position is arbitrary and there is a lag when positioning... (Auto Engage = Off)

Used a modified EBJR (25K) for a while but was never satisfied with the result.
I am now trying a FV500L. Using the Exp connector (seems to be a 10k pot), after calibration, looking at the volume graphic, the first 3k looks like its not doing anything. At full pedal position, its not topped out on the graphic (~85%). Tried calibration multiple times.

Any ideas?

Thanks and regards,

Last edited:
I have the same issue. Volume pedal is erratic on the Volume Block. Volume doesn't quite tuen off, position is arbitrary and there is a lag when positioning... (Auto Engage = Off)

Used a modified EBJR (25K) for a while but was never satisfied with the result.
I am now trying a FV500L. Using the Exp connector (seems to be a 10k pot), after calibration, looking at the volume graphic, the first 3k looks like its not doing anything. At full pedal position, its not topped out on the graphic (~85%). Tried calibration multiple times.

When pressing [Enter] and moving the pedal, Calibrating goes away. When I press [Enter] again, it restarts the cycle...

Any ideas?

Thanks and regards,
When calibrated correctly it is ok if it did not go all the way up during calibration. Make sure the min max knob is turned all the way.

Note that pedal has a dead spot in its travel. Best you could do is add some rubber stoppers in the heal down position so you basically eliminate the dead spot. Also if you are using the volume block check what taper you are using

Thanks for your input.

Min Max all the way down. Good idea for the rubber stopper although I do see movement on an ohm meter from all the heal down position and the 3k position (of 10K) is about 3/8" from Heal down so that would have to be a major stopper and loosing the top 15-20% really eliminates travel...

Which Volume Block tapper would you recommend?

Regards,

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom