Not a Bug Volume Block Before vs After Amp

Corinthian

Inspired
I'm having a strange problem with the VOLUME/PAN block. When it is before the AMP block and I control it via a pedal there is an abrupt change between the lowest level and completely off. i.e. when fading in from silence, the sound comes in abruptly rather than smoothly.

There's nothing unusual about the taper, the pedal is calibrated, and besides the very bottom of the range it behaves as expected. What's also strange is that if I move the VOLUME block to after the AMP block, without changing any settings, then it the fade in is smooth. I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I'm missing some setting somewhere.

I've attached a preset where it's very evident. I've left a space so you can drag the VOLUME block after the AMP block.

Attachments

• Brothers In Arms.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 3
The compression of the amp block is changing the response. A volume pedal before the amp will first clean up the amp, then it will get quieter. If you want a smooth change in volume with no change in tone, put the volume block after the amp.
I know. I want it to clean up as it turns down. :)

I appreciate the compression from the amp will change the response of the volume pedal but the abruptness is more than would be expected. With a real amp a volume pedal (or a guitar volume) is able to transition smoothly from silence, even into a very heavily compressed amp, which this is not.

I know. I want it to clean up as it turns down. :)

I appreciate the compression from the amp will change the response of the volume pedal but the abruptness is more than would be expected. With a real amp a volume pedal (or a guitar volume) is able to transition smoothly from silence, even into a very heavily compressed amp, which this is not.

Try using a lower taper. A higher gain amp will come on very quickly and then just get dirtier if the pot taper is too quick. 5% is the slowest available....

You've got the amp block input dynamics at -10. Setting it around -2 yields the expected volume block behaviour, anything beyond there is getting expanded pretty heavily.
Bingo! That was it. Thank you.

I downloaded the preset from somewhere. Not sure what the intention was or if it got corrupted somewhere.

Out of curiosity and this is an objective question (I’m not being judgmental): Assuming a default of zero best models the actual amp, why adjust this up or down?

Out of curiosity and this is an objective question (I’m not being judgmental): Assuming a default of zero best models the actual amp, why adjust this up or down?
Best != Most accurate

I would agree that most accurate would be 0, but some may prefer the amp to have more or less dynamics at the input stage.

It would be a bit like having a compressor/expanded on the amp input, where you can either boost or compress the dynamic range. Compressed means that more of your notes come through at an even level instead of jumping up and down in volume/saturation. Turning turning dynamics up would let you "supercharge" your picking dynamics by making softer playing much softer, and louder playing much louder.

Lower dynamics might level our your playing for even saturation across playing intensity, and higher settings might let you create a franken amp where you can go from clean to full boar rectifier distortion with playing dynamics.

Best != Most accurate

I would agree that most accurate would be 0, but some may prefer the amp to have more or less dynamics at the input stage.
Oh for sure, there will always be preferences. There are so many things to tweak, so I get it. It just strikes me as ironic. I can rip out the internals of a 1966 Bassman and convert it internally to a Marshall Bluesbreaker from the same era, that I already own. But then I’ve lost my Fender Bassman.

Oh for sure, there will always be preferences. There are so many things to tweak, so I get it. It just strikes me as ironic. I can rip out the internals of a 1966 Bassman and convert it internally to a Marshall Bluesbreaker from the same era, that I already own. But then I’ve lost my Fender Bassman.
Or you could just mod a few little things about your Bassman that you personally like better. If you tire of your mods or want to sell it, you remove them and at no time have you "lost" your Bassman.

That's the beauty of digital. ;)

Could you not have two, one before and one after tied to the same control but with suitable tapers slopes or whatever it is called and get what you want?

Or you could just mod a few little things about your Bassman that you personally like better. If you tire of your mods or want to sell it, you remove them and at no time have you "lost" your Bassman.

That's the beauty of digital. ;)
Understand the benefits of digital. Was primarily asking an objection question. The Bassman thing was just an illustration. I love having the amps and effects, but don’t understand taking one and turning it into another, when I already have both (digitally).

How about this? Two women, with one Nordic and the other Calabrese. I see no reason to ask the Nordic to dye her hair black and be emotive, or ask the other to become blonde and lose the emotion. 😋

Understand the benefits of digital. Was primarily asking an objection question. The Bassman thing was just an illustration. I love having the amps and effects, but don’t understand taking one and turning it into another, when I already have both (digitally).

How about this? Two women, with one Nordic and the other Calabrese. I see no reason to ask the Nordic to dye her hair black and be emotive, or ask the other to become blonde and lose the emotion. 😋

But maybe you really like the blonde of the Nordic, but want the emotive aspect of the Calabrese. But adjusting you can change just that aspect without changing the others like a whole new amp would.

Back
Top Bottom