Vocal + guitar into the fx8 - does it work?

Hhuent

Experienced
for my normal band rig I would use the 4cm.
But sometimes I only use a western guitar and a mike for the singer. For convenience, can I use

- pre1 (input) and pre2 (output) of the fx8 with - say - comp, Eq, reverb, boost for the acoustic guitar
- post1 (input) and post2 (output) eg with comp, par. EQ, delay, reverb for the mic.

In other words: can the pre and the post loop be used for different signals? And is there some sort of mixing function between pre and post?

From my understanding I could, but maybe I am wrong...

for my normal band rig I would use the 4cm.
But sometimes I only use a western guitar and a mike for the singer. For convenience, can I use

- pre1 (input) and pre2 (output) of the fx8 with - say - comp, Eq, reverb, boost for the acoustic guitar
- post1 (input) and post2 (output) eg with comp, par. EQ, delay, reverb for the mic.

In other words: can the pre and the post loop be used for different signals? And is there some sort of mixing function between pre and post?

From my understanding I could, but maybe I am wrong...

bump - noone who knows how to handle this or if it can be handled at all?

I tried to mimic this with two guitars - one plugged into the IN (PRE) with the OUT (PRE) going to an amp, the second guitar plugged into the IN (POST) with the OUT (POST) going to another amp. It works, but there is no really good way to control the mix between the two pre and post signal paths. Looking at the manual on page 64, there is some limited ability to pad the Input Pre and Output Pre (0, 6, and 12 dB), and the Post level can be set to +4dBu or -10dBu. Other than that, I do not see any way to effectively mix the two (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So, you can use the FX8 for two different signal paths/effects configurations but you would have to send the two signals to a mixer.

I tried to mimic this with two guitars - one plugged into the IN (PRE) with the OUT (PRE) going to an amp, the second guitar plugged into the IN (POST) with the OUT (POST) going to another amp. It works, but there is no really good way to control the mix between the two pre and post signal paths. Looking at the manual on page 64, there is some limited ability to pad the Input Pre and Output Pre (0, 6, and 12 dB), and the Post level can be set to +4dBu or -10dBu. Other than that, I do not see any way to effectively mix the two (someone correct me if I'm wrong). So, you can use the FX8 for two different signal paths/effects configurations but you would have to send the two signals to a mixer.

Thanks, ethomas. This should be something for the wish list. I'll put it there if no one knows another solution for this. Would make the fx8 more flexible and practical for my needs.

bump - noone who knows how to handle this or if it can be handled at all?
Patience, brother. It's a pretty big step to assume that "no one knows how to handle this" after waiting 17 minutes for a reply. :)

Yes, Pre/Post1 and Pre/Post2 can handle separate signals.

The FX8 doesn't have a mic preamp, so you'll need one.

There's no mix function between the two, because...they're separate. :) The FX8 is designed for use with a guitar amp, and you'd never mix your before-amp signal with the signal coming out of your amp. But you could assign an expression pedal to the Level parameter of the last effect in one of the signal chains. That would let you set that chain's level relative to the other chain. But if you only have one power amp, you'll need to mix the two signals with external gear.

Well, he did wait all day. His first post was 7:34 AM and the second was 7:51 PM.

You can assign an expression pedal to control the volume in 4 different places in the signal chain (In Pre, Out Pre, In Post, Out Post) without using a Volume block or assigning it to the Level Parameter in the last effect. Just another option to possibly control the volume of one of the signal chains with a little more flexibility than assigning it to the last effect.

Well, he did wait all day. His first post was 7:34 AM and the second was 7:51 PM.
You're right. I missed the 12-hour span. Still, it's good to wait at least a full day before thinking that you won't get an answer.

You can assign an expression pedal to control the volume in 4 different places in the signal chain (In Pre, Out Pre, In Post, Out Post) without using a Volume block or assigning it to the Level Parameter in the last effect. Just another option to possibly control the volume of one of the signal chains with a little more flexibility than assigning it to the last effect.

Thanks, that's a nice workaround, still would be a good feature for the pre/post mixer, no?... Dare I say within 24 h :)) - no offense, Rex, just trying being funny...

Reactions: Rex
There are two separate graphic EQ's in the Global menu for the OUT PRE and OUT POST signals and each of these has a gain control. So it appears that you could use those to set the output level for each signal path. You would still need a mic pre.

Back
Top Bottom