Wish Virtual FX Loop between preamp & poweramp

Interestingly, of all the plugins and modellers I've had (and that's a sh#tload), Positive Grid's BiasAmp is the only one I came across that facilitates p.a. models isolation - too bad their stuff sucks to my ear.
Which is probably due to not over sampling enough times, or not writing the algorithms correctly.

IP protection has been mentioned for why Fractal won’t release a plug-in version of the modeler. You stick the code on thousands of computers and someone will disassemble it and find out how it works. I haven’t seen any comments about IP regarding being able to insert blocks between the two halves of the Amp block.

I haven’t seen any comments about IP regarding being able to insert blocks between the two halves of the Amp block.
well seems to be a solid belief I've seen expressed here, and elsewhere a few times (look at the OP of this thread: "I understand that we can't separate the preamp and power amp due to IP protection"...., or here or here or here or here ... (+ others I've seen)). I keep asking about it because I wonder what that belief is based on specifically - for me the wish is more related to wanting to isolate p.a. and have mix/matchable p.a. models, but, kinda the same thing since if one could isolate p.a., one could mimic an fx loop by having one amp block before fx with pre on/p.a. off and a 2nd one after with pre off/p.a. on (personally I'm not interested in this) but would like stand alone p.a. models.

Last edited:
Which is probably due to not over sampling enough times, or not writing the algorithms correctly.

IP protection has been mentioned for why Fractal won’t release a plug-in version of the modeler. You stick the code on thousands of computers and someone will disassemble it and find out how it works. I haven’t seen any comments about IP regarding being able to insert blocks between the two halves of the Amp block.
The Fractal is hardware, not software.
You can only access the hardware unit via
Axe Edit or fractal bot.....what is the problem?

The Fractal is hardware, not software.
You can only access the hardware unit via
Axe Edit or fractal bot.....what is the problem?
there's no problem with Axefx - just generally seems to be a thing in modelling - in fact Axefx lets one get closer than most via tube pre...

Last edited:
well seems to be a belief I've seen expressed here, and elsewhere a few times (look at the OP of this thread: "I understand that we can't separate the preamp and power amp due to IP protection"...., or here (I know there's others I've seen)). I keep asking about it because I wonder what that belief is based on - for me the wish is more related to wanting to isolate p.a. and have mix/matchable p.a. models, but, kinda the same thing since if one could isolate p.a., one could mimic an fx loop by having one amp block before fx with pre on/p.a. off and a 2nd one after with pre off/p.a. on (personally I'm not interested in this).
I can't find anything accurate or definitive referring to IP protection for the Amp block in the Wiki or the forums. Perhaps it was said somewhere else, or someone conflated a statement about an Amp-block-based plugin with the Amp block inside the modeler.

It'd be pretty hard to figure out anything about the architecture or code by dropping a block between the pre-amp and power-amp sections since that block would have to be inside the firmware already, and we can't do anything to peak inside unless Fractal gives us access to it. The sound is a stream of numbers at that point.

If there was an actual effects loop between the two sections to send/receive audio to an external effects loop, then there'd be access to the reconstituted audio signal coming from a DAC, but even that wouldn't expose what sort of code was written, only the effect of changing parameters in the code. Like listening to, or using an oscilloscope on a modern guitar amp and turning the knobs and flipping switches, without ever having had access to the schematic or foreknowledge of the circuit design or what components are inside, it'd be hard to understand what's happening internally; It'd be like black magic because there's a lot happening dynamically. Reverse engineering the internal code from how the waveform changes would be the same. When Cliff implemented Cygnus, it was a eureka moment when he noticed that the amp block's decay didn't sound exactly like a real amp. It was a tiny detail but he noticed the dynamic nature of the change and knew the code and what it was doing, and wanted to see if he could improve the code to model the real power-amp's behavior. IIRC, that led to changes in the pre-amp's code, and the aggregate difference is like the butterfly effect inside just that one block; a tiny input change can have a major effect on the output.

If someone wanted to know the algorithms, it seems like a much faster path would be to hook up an in-circuit emulator and capture the machine code then try to rebuild the source from that. And, by the time they'd get done, we'd be running on firmware that is much more advanced, again.

I think the reason for no effect-loop in the Cab block comes back down to oversampling and the impact on the CPU load. Whether it's a virtual loop or an external loop, the end result would be a hit on the CPU and the attending loss of quality, or added latency, and neither is acceptable because of Cliff's goals, and the continuous demands from the users for more available CPU and less latency.

It's all an interesting brain exercise but, as is, the system sounds like a pedal board into a great amp without an effects loop being recorded in a studio with post-effects, and anything else would be more icing on top of the existing icing on a cake. That's a pretty good thing already.

I can't find anything accurate or definitive referring to IP protection for the Amp block in the Wiki or the forums. Perhaps it was said somewhere else, or someone conflated a statement about an Amp-block-based plugin with the Amp block inside the modeler.
I've added more references to my post above - stopping at 5 now but several of those refer to something Fractal mentioned at some point which I could not find, but clearly from those 1/2 dozen mentions of it by a number of reputable members - there's something to it.

It'd be pretty hard to figure out anything about the architecture or code by dropping a block between the pre-amp and power-amp sections since that block would have to be inside the firmware already, and we can't do anything to peak inside unless Fractal gives us access to it.
don't know / don't care, other than it seems IP related concerns seem to limit a somewhat sought after feature in modelling generally, which I find curious.

I think the reason for no effect-loop in the Cab block comes back down to oversampling and the impact on the CPU load.
you're focusing on fx between pre and post - I get that that would come down to oversampling. I'm referring above mostly to just turning off the preamp portion of an ampsim leaving the p.a. portion on and therefore isolated. I don't see how the oversampling explanation holds in this case of simply being able to turn preamp off like we can with p.a.

Last edited:
[…] I'm referring above mostly to just turning off the preamp portion of an ampsim leaving the p.a. portion on and therefore isolated. I don't see how the oversampling explanation holds in this case of simply being able to turn preamp off.
You'll have to take that up with the man but I'll venture a guess that he has a very good reason.

So I guess Cliff should just give you what you want regardless of any risk he may take in doing so. It's not your property so I suppose that makes sense.

You'll have to take that up with the man but I'll venture a guess that he has a very good reason.
I agree there is likely a good reason as I said above: - just a question - that all.

So I guess Cliff should just give you what you want regardless of any risk he may take in doing so. It's not your property so I suppose that makes sense.
I never said that. I've included myself as one who's wished for stand alone power amps like others here - I know it's not happening with most if not all modellers but am just curious as to the reasoning.

Calm peeps - its just a question - I have no intention of raising a revived wish on this though I can see other still pursue it.

Last edited:
I don't understand all the negativity behind not having a separate preamp and power amp block. I mean, if you can make great sounding power amp sims then you could then make an SS power amp with this built-in power amp simulation which would open up a lot more sells.
"THE FRACTAL POWER AMP"
I don't know, about 10 years or so ago, a company (Two Notes) made an IR player with built in power amp simulation. Or was it really a simulation or just an IR of a power amp??

I don't understand all the negativity behind not having a separate preamp and power amp block. I mean, if you can make great sounding power amp sims then you could then make an SS power amp with this built-in power amp simulation which would open up a lot more sells.
"THE FRACTAL POWER AMP"
I don't know, about 10 years or so ago, a company (Two Notes) made an IR player with built in power amp simulation. Or was it really a simulation or just an IR of a power amp??
It's not negativity.

Cliff has said plainly in the past that it isn't going to happen. He referenced the potential to expose IP.

(I read these posts when they were written so I'm saying this from memory. I don't have a quote... I'm certain this was prior to the Axe Fx III)

People have repeated that information in this thread already.

So, it's great that people want to wish for this ability but since the man himself said it isn't going to happen it's just wasted words... IMHO.

As far as the FX Loop idea, I don't know if that would or would not potentially expose the same issues.

What other companies do is their own concern. Other companies also release plugins. Cliff has said he will also not do that due to rampant piracy and (again) the risk of stolen IP.

It's not negativity.

Cliff has said plainly in the past that it isn't going to happen. He referenced the potential to expose IP.

(I read these posts when they were written so I'm saying this from memory. I don't have a quote... I'm certain this was prior to the Axe Fx III)

People have repeated that information in this thread already.

So, it's great that people want to wish for this ability but since the man himself said it isn't going to happen it's just wasted words... IMHO.

As far as the FX Loop idea, I don't know if that would or would not potentially expose the same issues.

What other companies do is their own concern. Other companies also release plugins. Cliff has said he will also not do that due to rampant piracy and (again) the risk of stolen IP.
If it is "IP" that is the reason, again I'll say, " The Fractal is a hardware unit only accessible via Axe Edit or Fractal Bot".
How could there be an "IP" issue?
I could care less that Fractal would ever make a software version. In doing so, you would then have to deal with your own audio interface which would put you in the same boat as all the other software modelers which have that latency problem.

If it is "IP" that is the reason, again I'll say, " The Fractal is a hardware unit only accessible via Axe Edit or Fractal Bot".
That does not stop a nefarious company from taking the unit apart, trying to figure out how its PCB works, taking measurements from various points of its signal chain or sniffing out the USB traffic when communicating with Axe-Edit. With plugins it's just easier to do that as well as run the software through a disassembler to investigate it on code level. Fractal's main IP is their amp modeling. While they also do great effects etc those are pretty well known implementations while amp modeling is something each company does their own way with varying levels of success.

Again, fx loop inside an amp is a compromise. Ideally with real amps we would all be running a setup like Guitar -> pedals -> amp -> Fryette Power Station -> reverb/delay etc pedals -> PS poweramp -> guitar cab. But because this requires a loadbox and an additional poweramp, the only one box solution I know that does this is the Guytron GT-100. Everything else just puts a less than ideal fx loop between the preamp and poweramp. Or you can buy a Fryette PS, ignore your amps effects loop and enjoy time based effects that do not distort even with a cranked amp.

I can't remember anyone ever commenting how much they love using the fx loop and then having those fx distort as they crank their amp. The fx loop is a solution to avoid that issue, otherwise you could just plug your pedals in front of the amp. And thus I don't see a reason to replicate that part of the circuit in digital modeling when we don't have the practical limitation of placing effects after the amp speaker out.

imo this wish is better phrased "ability to turn off preamp" since isolating p.a. offers good utility while still facilitating Fx loop functionality via fx between 2 amp blocks for those very few (not including me) that might want it. "ability to turn off preamp" also does not seem, on the surface at least, to conflict with the manual's statement indicating how placing a loop function inside the existing amp block would require much more processing effort. But it's all moot since so many say disabling the pre can't be done due to IP concerns which I can't find specific detail on, but which I also believe to be true given the universality of this restriction across most/all modellers. My mistake wrt this subject has been trying to engage here to understand the mechanics of why - not because I want to insist on the change somehow (been obvious for some time its not happening which is fine), but just out of interest and curiosity since the same is true of every modeller I've ever seen (no access to isolated p.a.) despite wishes within most product user bases to have stand alone power amps. I get the strong sense that, for whatever reason, others here would appreciate me keeping my musings on this subject to myself - message received ✅ 🤐

Last edited:
I could care less that Fractal would ever make a software version. In doing so, you would then have to deal with your own audio interface which would put you in the same boat as all the other software modelers which have that latency problem.
I’m telling you what the creator of the product stated.

I trust he knows what he's talking about with regards to his own products.

Cliff has stated in the past that splitting the preamp modeling and power amp modeling would make it easier for competitors to reverse-engineer Fractal Audio's technology. Or something like that.

But that post dates back to 2012 or earlier, and I don't recall him repeating it since then. It's the forum members who keep repeating it. :)
So it's unsure if it's still valid.

A more recent statement regarding technical hurdles, has been by Greg already: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-firmware-release.110178/page-15#post-1321907

Why do real amp manufacturers add FX loops in an amp?
The answer is for the same reason we who would want this WISH to become a reality.
Actually, I think that is NOT the answer. The answer AFAIK is that in the 80s guitars were getting all these effects added to them in studio recordings AFTER not only the power amp but also the cabinet/mic/etc and the WISH was to emulate that studio sound on the road.
So, historically at least, guitar amp FX loops are a compromise and the request in the OP is like to emulate that compromise when the ideal studio like chain is readily available and simpler to use.

Back
Top Bottom