Violin/Cello preset with 4 Awesome free IRs ( and a sloppy Rush cover)

Used Fractalbot and it wouldn't load, said it was not compatible with the FM3. Used the editor directly to load into an empty preset and it loaded. Excited to try this.

Just noticed this and it's really cool. You should add an expression pedal that control the attack time!
I will play with that! Do you have a range that you would suggest for that attack time?

Its currently using expression on the output level of Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 1.03.32 PM.png
To control the initial pick attack before the Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 1.06.17 PM.png

Want to thank WKSmith. Tried it on "I can still make Cheyenne" - George Strait, "Seminole Wind" - John Anderson, Godfather theme song, amazing tone!

I tried this on my FM3. Here are some notes:

1. It works best on the unwound strings. If you venture onto strings 4-6, it gets granular sounding. You can do okay on the D string, but it's really too much on the A and low E.

2. Go ahead and use Ultrares on the IR and increase the Reverb quality. You won't be in danger of maxing CPU and it helps.

3. Best performance is with Scene 1.

I'm wondering if the granularity isn't because of a difference in the Synth block. Do the FM9 and III have more capable Synth blocks?

Great work, I'm pretty sure this can be refined even more. There have been some other posts along these lines. I know Neosound did some really great stuff on the III and there was a post in the FM3 area with a Roby Rocks preset that sounded really great (which maybe drew from Neosound's work???).

Here's that thread:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-by-making-flippy-floppy.190783/#post-2369800

Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: Not sure if you ever saw NeoSound's work, but here's that thread. Since his is for the III, maybe the FM9 could make use of it?

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/violin-cello.145678/

Last edited:
I tried this on my FM3. Here are some notes:

1. It works best on the unwound strings. If you venture onto strings 4-6, it gets granular sounding. You can do okay on the D string, but it's really too much on the A and low E.

2. Go ahead and use Ultrares on the IR and increase the Reverb quality. You won't be in danger of maxing CPU and it helps.

3. Best performance is with Scene 1.

I'm wondering if the granularity isn't because of a difference in the Synth block. Do the FM9 and III have more capable Synth blocks?

Great work, I'm pretty sure this can be refined even more. There have been some other posts along these lines. I know Neosound did some really great stuff on the III and there was a post in the FM3 area with a Roby Rocks preset that sounded really great (which maybe drew from Neosound's work???).

Here's that thread:

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-by-making-flippy-floppy.190783/#post-2369800

Thanks for sharing!

EDIT: Not sure if you ever saw NeoSound's work, but here's that thread. Since his is for the III, maybe the FM9 could make use of it?

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/violin-cello.145678/
Glad to hear it works on the FM3. I am not sure about any differences? in the synth blocks.
I also like scene 1 better than the others, but the scenes are all identical ..except for the IRs. The mojo is really in the IRs.

This preset is pretty stripped down ..compared to the hard work put into the ensemble scenes and pitch shifting in the presets like the ones you posted.

Thanks for giving it a go and taking notes!

Great patch. I am a former violinist so this is very intriguing.
Fractal technology is all new to me. What I don't understand is after downloading and importing the patch, I don't get any audio (though I see input). I take note that the cab has no profile attached, so IR's are required for the Cabinet in a patch to work (or bypass the cab).
How are the suggested IR's (wav files) used as IR's? Cab Lab 3 is no longer available on the Fractal site... so I have to wait for Cab Lab 4!
I assume Cab Lab will convert the wav file to a cab syx file? In the meantime, I will borrow a cab profile from another patch.

Fractal technology is all new to me. What I don't understand is after downloading and importing the patch, I don't get any audio (though I see input). I take note that the cab has no profile attached, so IR's are required for the Cabinet in a patch to work (or bypass the cab).
How are the suggested IR's (wav files) used as IR's? Cab Lab 3 is no longer available on the Fractal site... so I have to wait for Cab Lab 4!
I assume Cab Lab will convert the wav file to a cab syx file? In the meantime, I will borrow a cab profile from another patch.
Go ahead and download those wave files and then just drag each file into Axe Edit Cab slots. Make sure you select an empty Cab slot first then drag wav file to Cab name slot.

Did you download load the IRs and assign each Channel to the appropriate User slot? The Meters page is a very handy tool. You can see if your signal both reaches and exits any given block. Lack of an assigned IR is a very common mistake so the signal will just stop at the Cab block.

This is the best thing since sliced bread...LOL Thanks a lot. Used the Viola setting live last week and everyone loved it. Just need to know whatt you plan to do with it and play before hand to get setting dialed in for your setup and as others have said playing very cleanly. I also found that certain timbres and notes which glitch out much easier than others and just avoided those..

Currently the link to the IRs shared in the initial post is showing up as an insecure site and is blocked in both Chrome and Firefox. Is there a dropbox link for the four IRs? -

Currently the link to the IRs shared in the initial post is showing up as an insecure site and is blocked in both Chrome and Firefox. Is there a dropbox link for the four IRs? -
The IRs were linked to the University of Parma Italy in the public domain.

Safari is showing it now blocked by a web application.

I do not have a drop box repository personally, perhaps someone has them archived though.

I found some free IRs in the public domain from The University of Parma in Italy
http://pcfarina.eng.unipr.it/Public/IMP-RESP/Violins/

This should work on the FM3 too since the CPU is only 35% on the FM9

Use version 2 if you don't have an expression pedal.

Version 1 maps the expression to Pedal 1

Y'all Have Fun!! ;)

Big thanks to @rhummellh !!
The IRs are now available in post# 37

Would be really cool if it could be set up with a faster response and delay to do the violin part in Whitesnake "Still of the night" song.

Back
Top Bottom