Vinnie Moore solos preset

I am trying to get a lead tone like vinnie Moore uses in many of the solos in his instrumental albums. Something very balanced across all the strings, with a ton of sustain. Leads hot enough to melt ones face.

What factory preset will get me close to this tone?

I started trying to change 122 mark days hbe and seem to be in the ballpark, but is there a more better suited factory preset for this that will get me even closer?

When I watched his instructional videos years ago he used a peavey solid state combo and still sounded like Vinnie

I just found them and started playing with them, I think I may be liking these engl better than Marshall. The JVM od and the 5150 and 6160 are also quickly becoming my faves

Vinnie also used a Laney VH100R. Seemed like he used quite a bit of reverb in his 80s tones as well, which will play a big part as you don't want that in your face tone.

Anyone knows what amp and cab he used to record "April Sky"?

I like that sweet mellow sound. It seems like he is using a parametric eq to scoop the mids.

Here talks about his gear, but the Time Oddisey was recorded several years before that:

Anyone knows what amp and cab he used to record "April Sky"?

Here talks about his gear, but the Time Oddisey was recorded several years before that:

Vinnie was endorsing Laney amps in 1988, the same year "Time Odyssey" was released:

Vinnie-Moore-Time-Odyssey-Poster1.jpg

I found this pic while I was searching Google Images for this old Laney ad I remember from the 80's. In the ad (I was unable to find it), Vinnie is seen standing on a real life set of his "Time Odyssey" cover, with a Laney amp behind him.

Whether or not he actually used a Laney on the album, I don't know. I did however find this quote from a thread on a Carvin forum, where someone inquired about Vinnie's TO gear:

"I think I read on his website that he was using the Laney Pro Tube lead 50watt heads."

In that same thread though, someone else claims that one of the amps used was an old Marshall JMP 100 Watt head.

Here's the link to that thread:

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2782&sid=d802ea4bca33c9a781ec68d1858c8db4

Hope that helps.:)

Remember that you don't necessarily need to use the same amps or try that hard to get close. Some sounds are obtainable with common amps such as the Plexis, the Mesa Boogies, etc. The amount of gain, and pickup style (Vinnie uses pickups in the PAF family) are very important as well as the Cab. The new Satriani amp and the JVM also are pretty close. Mess with the Eqs, dont overdo the gain to keep clarity and try either the internal amp boost or putting drive blocks in front for extra bite and tightness.

When I listen to them now, the tone on Vinnie Moore's first 2 albums sounds kind of "flaccid" to me. But the tone on the Meltdown album is incredible!

As far as pickups, I believe he always used hotter pickups in the bridge; Super Distortion, Double Whammy, Super II.
-
Austin

Last edited:
I am trying to get a lead tone like vinnie Moore uses in many of the solos in his instrumental albums. Something very balanced across all the strings, with a ton of sustain. Leads hot enough to melt ones face.

What factory preset will get me close to this tone?

I started trying to change 122 mark days hbe and seem to be in the ballpark, but is there a more better suited factory preset for this that will get me even closer?
Hi! Did you get the tone in the end?

Back
Top Bottom