Video Tutorial: Setting Up The Midi Mate With The Axe FX

twentytwenty said:
Can the midi mate scroll through banks and also have some buttons available for special commands such as boost delay on/of?
Yep you can use it in 'controller mode'. That way the bottom 5 buttons are for patch changes and the top 5 for controller changes (switching fx in/out within the patch). The banks automatically are cut down to 5 patches at a time and you can still scroll through the patch banks as before.

oddb0d said:
I was about to show how you can hookup expression pedals, Ernie Ball JR and Rocktron HEX to the Midi Mate, and then my Insert Y Cable blew up on me. Thankfully the service is awesome from the company I bought it from and I just e-mailed them and within 5 minutes I get a reply saying they will ship out a new one. Awesome. Anyway, Seems like we need a couple more instructional videos to help on a few issues. I was hoping to get a decent video camera, but I think it will be the same old Canon Digital Still Camera.
Hey oddbod, do you have the Ernie Ball jnr working ok with the midi mate.
I have one and it would save forking out for an expression pedal if it works ok. If so what kind of cable do I need?

sheguitarplayer said:
oddb0d said:
I was about to show how you can hookup expression pedals, Ernie Ball JR and Rocktron HEX to the Midi Mate, and then my Insert Y Cable blew up on me. Thankfully the service is awesome from the company I bought it from and I just e-mailed them and within 5 minutes I get a reply saying they will ship out a new one. Awesome. Anyway, Seems like we need a couple more instructional videos to help on a few issues. I was hoping to get a decent video camera, but I think it will be the same old Canon Digital Still Camera.
Hey oddbod, do you have the Ernie Ball jnr working ok with the midi mate.
I have one and it would save forking out for an expression pedal if it works ok. If so what kind of cable do I need?
Yeap the Ernie Ball Jr works. You just need an Insert Y cable. Mine is broken, I've been waiting on the replacement jack from Lava Cable for over a month now :-( Hopefully get it soon, then I can make a video for everyone.

Hey Oddbod,

I wanted to let you know, bassed on this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2477

I was able to get my Boss FV-500H to work with the Midi-mate. Thanks again for your help, and if you make a video it will probably help others. So go for it. But I am up and running now!

yippie!

sheguitarplayer said:
twentytwenty said:
Can the midi mate scroll through banks and also have some buttons available for special commands such as boost delay on/of?
Yep you can use it in 'controller mode'. That way the bottom 5 buttons are for patch changes and the top 5 for controller changes (switching fx in/out within the patch). The banks automatically are cut down to 5 patches at a time and you can still scroll through the patch banks as before.

Hi thanks for this video was very helpful and i got my midimate up and running. One question how come i cant get "0" to act as a patch change. like 0-4 for the patch changes and the top 5 for FX changes. 0 does nothing right now. Also say when i have a patch with a delay on say "east wes" i go to another patch and then come back the delay time is different. I have 9 setup as tap tempo like in the video. Anyway to always have it set at a certain tempo and then go from there if i want to taptempo? thanks

Bakerman said:
When you got to the step of assigning a pedal CC# ("PEDL __") on the Midimate, did you try moving the pedal? The display should change from the CC# to show the pedal value that's being sent out (on my MM version at least). If it doesn't do that there may be some incompatibility with the pedal.

Hi there, my pedal values move in the opposite direction( ie max out 127 on heel position but decreases towards toe position). Anyone can help please? Thanks!

And also, i've heard that the ernie ball 25K volume pedal is for active instruments and it gives a more even rate of increase vs the normal volume pedal. So qn is if we're using the pedal for CC change then shouldn't we go for the 25k instead of the normal volume pedals?

and one last qn, is there an expression pedal with a stereo out? Would save me the trouble of getting a stereo Y cable. Thanks!

Hey guys, I've got a bit of an odd issue with mine. Midimate and an Ernie Ball VPjr.

The wah works fine, no issues with that, but if I put the pedal in the heel down position it bypasses the wah, but in the toe down position it turns on the wah. I have the wah bypass set up for button 9, because I prefer to do things that way. I'm just rather confused at why the pedal is activating the bypass as well.

It's probably something silly I'm missing, and I'll watch the video again, but is there a common sort of thing I'm doing wrong here?

zepp88 said:
Hey guys, I've got a bit of an odd issue with mine. Midimate and an Ernie Ball VPjr.

The wah works fine, no issues with that, but if I put the pedal in the heel down position it bypasses the wah, but in the toe down position it turns on the wah. I have the wah bypass set up for button 9, because I prefer to do things that way. I'm just rather confused at why the pedal is activating the bypass as well.

It's probably something silly I'm missing, and I'll watch the video again, but is there a common sort of thing I'm doing wrong here?

Have you checked the "auto-engage" settings in the WAH block?

TimmyM

TimmyM said:
zepp88 said:

Have you checked the "auto-engage" settings in the WAH block?

TimmyM

No I haven't, but that's probably exactly what's wrong, thanks man I'll mess with it tomorrow (too lazy to unload my car right now), and I'll let you know how it goes.

oddb0d,
Just a quick thank you for your efforts. I sold my Vetta & floorboard, which I was using to control the AFx. Got a used MidiMate and a Hex, but couldn't get the pedal to do anything more than light up the MIDI light on the Axe. After watching your video, I realized I had the pedal channel set incorrectly. Problem solved, and now I'm auto-engaging like a rock star! I could have saved hours of head-scratching had I watched your video first. Thanks again!

Manolo said:
HailHalford, do you encounter this problem with your Hex : viewtopic.php?f=11&t=3220&st=0&sk=t&sd=a ?

Could you use the Hex to control the wha/whammy ?

Thanks.

No, that was not my problem. My problem was that the AxeFX and the MIDIMate were set on channel 1, but the pedal was sending its CC messages on channel 4. The Axe knew something was going on, but wasn't changing it's controlled parameter (Frequency Sweep in this case). The behavior I experienced was no change of the parameter.

The problem Ariel is experiencing is something else. His wah reacts to pedal input, but in more of an on/off fashion than in a sweep. If you are having this problem as well, it's probably one of a few things:

1. Use a stereo TRS cable. A regular guitar cable won't do for this application.
2. A Rocktron Hex pedal into a MIDIMate or All Access is OK. A Hex pedal into the Axe's Pedal inputs need to have the the tip and ring connections reversed at one end of the cable.
3. The slope settings (the ball on the graph) need to be adjusted in the control settings for more "dwell" time in the middle of the sweep. Ariel seems to have some success with this method.
4. If the pot in the pedal is very dirty, it might have a jumpy response. Get some pot cleaner in that thing and work it. Optical pots can suffer from the resistive film being offset, which can be manually corrected.

Here's a couple of relevant topics:

http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=968&p=9594&hilit=rocktron+hex#p9594

http://www.fractalaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=346&hilit=rocktron+hex

Hope this helps!

Yes it helped ! Thanks.

I'll buy a Midimate and will use the Hex in the Midimate, so it should work as expected.

Thanks for making this vid. I've got the Axe-FX and Midimate inbound and feel like I understand what needs to be done to set it up now. Thanks again.

Great video, thanks for taking the time to put that up.

Does anyone know if there's a way to have the Midi-Mate default to controller mode when it's powered up?

Thanks,
Dave

jazzgtrl4 said:
sheguitarplayer said:
twentytwenty said:

Hi thanks for this video was very helpful and i got my midimate up and running. One question how come i cant get "0" to act as a patch change. like 0-4 for the patch changes and the top 5 for FX changes. 0 does nothing right now. Also say when i have a patch with a delay on say "east wes" i go to another patch and then come back the delay time is different. I have 9 setup as tap tempo like in the video. Anyway to always have it set at a certain tempo and then go from there if i want to taptempo? thanks

I've been looking around for an answer to this "0" button question--any answers out there?

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom