Video - Trying the JMP-1 models for the first time

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
In my Twitch.tv livestream, I tried out the new Marshall JMP-1 models from Firmware 20.00 Public Beta. I really, really like these models!

I made an excerpt of this, and the video shows how I approach a completely new amp, and what parameters I focus on to learn the amp. Note that I didn't use ANY Advanced Parameters at all!

Please view this video on my website, as viewing it there directly supports me.

Link here: Trying the new JMP-1 Models - Axe-Fx II | AxeFxTutorials.com

Great job, Chris! I appreciate that you made this video of your noodling! I am not at a place where I can do it myself right now, so it was nice to watch and listen to your experience until I can get back to it myself.

Cool video , the original Brite-Pre has been one of my go-to models for a long time , these new ones sound much darker to me but "fuller"
what Cab IR are you using here? It's a great match for marshall based models

I was a jmp1 user for years...still have it.
Brit pre was good not great.
The new jmp models are awesome. I am going back to this as my primary tone. I can get a similar tone from many of the models in the axe...but I just like the nostalgic feeling of being back with my jmp1.

the IR used was an Ownhammer Diezel OH 412 DZL-RL V30-EN-OG MIX. the JMP sounded great with Factory Cab #059 (TV by ML) as well.

The tone controls in the JMP1 are active.....that's why the changes were so drastic..... ;) The JMP1 has dual tone stacks, a presetted internal stack for each tone characteristic , non accessible for anybody and the master
tonestack, which is controlled by VCAs, accessible with the controls (buttons, dial wheel) in the front...

The brit pre sounds there were none such things as internal pre filter networks.....or presetted tonestacks.... ;)

Last edited:
I see that you are running the JMP-1 direct into a CAB. Shouldn’t it go through a power amp before the CAB?

I don’t know if this is a naive question or if it has already been clarified: I am wondering why the JMP-1 and other rack preamps like CA3+, Triaxis or Bogner Fish are AMP blocks and not override blocks or an specific block for Pre-Amps. Does it mean that the parameters at the PWR or SPKR pages are disabled? What kind of power amp is inside the JMP-1 block? Is it a flat range transparent amplifier? What if we want to have glowing tubes there?

I have started experimenting with a JMP-1 block in front of a Comet 60 set with low drive, and I love the result. More yummy than going direct into the CAB

I see that you are running the JMP-1 direct into a CAB. Shouldn’t it go through a power amp before the CAB?

I don’t know if this is a naive question or if it has already been clarified: I am wondering why the JMP-1 and other rack preamps like CA3+, Triaxis or Bogner Fish are AMP blocks and not override blocks or an specific block for Pre-Amps. Does it mean that the parameters at the PWR or SPKR pages are disabled? What kind of power amp is inside the JMP-1 block? Is it a flat range transparent amplifier? What if we want to have glowing tubes there?

I have started experimenting with a JMP-1 block in front of a Comet 60 set with low drive, and I love the result. More yummy than going direct into the CAB

There is no such thing as a "preamp block" in the Axe Fx. The models you listed all include an appropriate (as decided by Cliff) power amp in the amp block.

You can use an amp block as a drive block of sorts by disabling the power amp (sort of). I think this is done by setting Power Amp Sag to zero... Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

But doing that and sticking it in front of another amp block is not the same as a preamp into a power amp, it is like a preamp into an amp (pre + power), so you will get the effect of a preamp into another preamp...

Great Video!
where can one acquire the OH Diezel cab you are using? I don't see it listed on their site or the fractal site?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom