VIDEO: The power of a cab block

You're welcome guys, thank you all! New vid in the works that will cover some other sound issues you guys can mess with. Should have it in a day or so.

@vangrieg the sounds I shared in the videos are recording situations, but the same rules would apply if you were going through a real cab while using a fractal cab. I use real cabs and fractal cabs for my live sound and am totally happy with my live rig.

I'm not sure why compression live is dangerous. I see this only if the compressor is not being used correctly. You're either going to use it to compress to tighten up your tone, or you can use it as a slight gain boost for leads or that little extra something that pushes your tone that little extra.

The difference between the tones you hear from me for recording vs my live tone is a different cab and eq curve. I use a little more low end in my live tone due to my greenbacks being able to handle it a little better.

The compression I use is the same as the studio. Nothing dangerous on my end, so I'm not quite sure what you mean there?

The difference between the tones you hear from me for recording vs my live tone is a different cab and eq curve.

Yeah, it's the EQ curve I was interested in mostly. I understand that techniques are the same. Thanks for your reply.

For me, dialing in compression at home for live use is somewhat challenging as its easy to add too much. I guess I just don't have a good ear for this effect.

Yeah, it's the EQ curve I was interested in mostly. I understand that techniques are the same. Thanks for your reply.

For me, dialing in compression at home for live use is somewhat challenging as its easy to add too much. I guess I just don't have a good ear for this effect.

OK, with you now. The eq curve actually sounds a lot different if I were to play my live sound direct into my console like you've been hearing. Less highs, more meat and the sound choices were made based on how everything sounded through my cab. Also the low end is increased a bit at around 80hz.

As for the compression issue you may be having, let's fix that. Did you happen to watch my second video on compression? If so, have you tried any of those tips in your live sound?

Here's the deal there. The more low end whoomf you have going on, the faster the compressor will kick in, which could be the reason you may not be liking it or feel it's too much.

I'd love to hear your tone to further advise you if you don't mind sharing. You could even do it in private if need be. But seriously, if you haven't tried some of the stuff in the comp 2 vid, try it and let me know if anything changes. Use the compression part of the vid as your guide, not the gain part. :)

Wow, that's a very generous offer, I'd love some critique of my tone! In fact, I've recently updated firmware and now try to rebuild my patches, but we have a break in rehearsals, so I can't actually test them in real field conditions, so that would be of great help!

Did you happen to watch my second video on compression? If so, have you tried any of those tips in your live sound?

Do you mean the second part of your video on compression? I've seen it, and played a little with it, but haven't tried it in any of my "real" patches. Let me do that tomorrow, and I'll certainly share the result. It's getting off-topic here though...

Hey guys,

Talked about this in another thread. Nothing spectacular and I apologize in advance for the bad playing. Operating on very little sleep and loads of stuff going on here (all good stuff) but I wanted to get this out to you as promised.

This vid just feeds your head a bit on tweaking cab blocks. I took one that I'd never use and made it into something totally usable for quite a few mid gain/classic rock to blues type amps. Hope it helps you guys.

Thanks for the video. I appreciate the time you put into this. You confirmed my suspicions that it is possible to tweak an otherwise odd choice of IR into something very useable. It was helpful to see and hear how you did it!

Wow, that's a very generous offer, I'd love some critique of my tone! In fact, I've recently updated firmware and now try to rebuild my patches, but we have a break in rehearsals, so I can't actually test them in real field conditions, so that would be of great help!

Yeah, if you're having problems or whatever, I can always give a listen and give you my opinion. No worries man, I'm not a dick. I'll never say your tone sucks or anything like that. We're all in this world together, I say make the best of it. If I can give a listen and help you with something that may be bothering you, it won't hurt anything, ya know? :)

Do you mean the second part of your video on compression? I've seen it, and played a little with it, but haven't tried it in any of my "real" patches. Let me do that tomorrow, and I'll certainly share the result. It's getting off-topic here though...

Yeah, where you see me literally remove gain using the compressor. That's probably where you may need to be with your stuff. The cool thing about using a comp is, you can use a little more gain to actually give your tone some sizzle in a different way than EQ would do it, and then you just jump on the threshold a bit to tighten and remove some of the gain. It's almost like cooking a steak with and without fat on it. Leave a little on, it gives it more flavor...but you still trim it off. That's kinda how I'm using the comp in the second part of the vid. See how that works for you and get back to us when you can.

No worries man, I'm not a dick. I'll never say your tone sucks or anything like that.

I have no problem whatsoever if you tell me my tone sucks, especially if you follow up and explain why you think it does and the go through the process of making it better! That's the whole point, I rarely get a chance to have an outside view (or is it listen?) with qualified critique, so that would be truly appreciated. I have no insecurities about my tone, especially utilitarian tone for live use.

My guitar playing could be another matter, but I still think it could be useful to many people if you go through it in public. I got an idea about this, so please check your PM inbox in a few minutes!

And thanks again for the offer!

I have no problem whatsoever if you tell me my tone sucks, especially if you follow up and explain why you think it does and the go through the process of making it better! That's the whole point, I rarely get a chance to have an outside view (or is it listen?) with qualified critique, so that would be truly appreciated. I have no insecurities about my tone, especially utilitarian tone for live use.

My guitar playing could be another matter, but I still think it could be useful to many people if you go through it in public. I got an idea about this, so please check your PM inbox in a few minutes!

And thanks again for the offer!

I hear ya...but I'm from the school of never telling anyone that something "sucks". That doesn't mean I'm not honest and I sugar coat. I just think that there is a nice way to tell someone without obliterating them, that they may need to work on something. And then, it's as you said...you go through and show them how they may be able to at least try to better it. For others, it's easier to just comment harshly and walk away or show off with what they are capable of.

To me, there's no help that can come about showing someone tough love when they may be trying to grasp a concept. Cool story for you real fast that you'll get a kick out of.

I had a social studies teacher that would yell at me all the time for missing the point. He was an ex drill instructor. One day after class, he told me that he'd like to stick his foot in my ass. I calmly said "you're welcome to try, but I don't think that will make you a better teacher. See sir, that is the problem....it's not that I'm dumb, it's that your teaching delivery suffers from patience and sympathy towards others that may not be as knowledgeable or as intelligent as yourself. Do you think I asked to be in your class? Do you think I really give a crap about what happened in WW1? None of it will help me live in TODAY'S world, sir. I'm stuck with you and you are stuck with me. So here are our options..

You can take a shot at me, but please be warned that I have studied martial arts since 8 years old, so I will not sit here and allow it. Or, you can maybe try and change your approach and try to get through to me and the rest of the class without treating us like soldiers. Do you want to teach or do you want to fight? Why are you here, sir?"

He looked at me and smirked with what almost looked like a smile because he had no idea how to answer me....and just walked away. From that day on, his teaching was more human and less drill instructor/yelling. The last day of school he shook my hand and wanted to hug me....I said "you can hug me sir, I welcome it" and he says "don't push it Danzi" and smiled really big and patted me on the back.

So I learned something too. Insulting people if you want to help them, is never good. Tough love only works for a recurring problem where a person doesn't really want your help...they just feel the need to cry for attention. I tread softly but I tell it like it is. Who needs to be annihilated? It solves nothing and can deter a person away from progress as well as feeling ashamed. I'm not saying that's you, but I bet if we got a show of hands on the forum from those who feel they suck or have crappy tones, we'd be surprised.

For those that feel like that....we've all been there! You gotta be terrible and fall down 100 times before you stand and grow, right? The key is not to be afraid as you don't learn if you don't ask. Annihilation is the worst form of help on the planet. I can't tell you how many battles I've been in on forums because guys like to bash others and say things they would NEVER say to a man in person. You guys have seen it...it sucks!

So I'm just saying....none of that ever comes out of my mouth. No one sucks....we all have different interpretations of ourselves. Some tones are Godly...others need work. You don't improve unless you know what to listen for. If you are too afraid to ask or show your nakedness (like I do when I show you guys my tones and patches...trust me, I feel like a n00b!) you may never climb the ladder.

I can go on and on telling you stories about the stuff I've been through and how people dissed me or didn't help me when I asked or begged. I'll leave you with this....they are the reason I try to help others. One day I was so frustrated after one of my local guitar hero's made me feel horrible in front of a bunch of people, I made a deal with God and said...."if I'm ever in a position to help other people to where they actually listen to me and I know what I'm talking about, I'll do my best to help them." ;)

I had a social studies teacher that would yell at me all the time for missing the point.
;)

Wow. That's a powerful story. I am actually a social studies teacher and while I have been frustrated with students over the years, I am glad I
never reached the point your teacher did. I always try to be cognizant that I have a captive audience. Life is just too short to be crappy to each other. Thanks for the story and the great video!

Wow. That's a powerful story. I am actually a social studies teacher and while I have been frustrated with students over the years, I am glad I
never reached the point your teacher did. I always try to be cognizant that I have a captive audience. Life is just too short to be crappy to each other. Thanks for the story and the great video!

Yeah it's kinda sad. Glad you're not that type of teacher. I know it can be frustrating. It's not like they want to be there, so that makes it harder. I've been a teacher for many years. From martial arts to guitar, drums, voice and now recording. The good thing about my form of teaching is, my students want to be there learning things they want to learn. The other thing is, I really believe your delivery is important. If you've ever watched one of my videos, I don't think I make anyone feel intimidated. The history teacher I had, thrived on trying to scare us....and he did scare us.

I try not to play too much guitar and show off to where it takes away from what I'm teaching, I screw up, talk funny, say some funny things and make it a bit entertaining instead of being lifeless, monotone and just plain boring. When we make something fun, it keeps the attention span going on. I think if they updated the school curriculum, good teachers like yourself would probably see much better results. I mean ok, I was out of line to tell my teacher that WWI wasn't important. But man, it was so boring and part of it was his method of teaching. That was my freshman year. My sophomore year, it was WWII and I got an A in that class. The teacher was fantastic and made us enjoy the class. So the delivery as well as the personality of the teacher, is extremely important. And your right, life is too short for any animosity. Stay true! :)

Love the vids LOve the accent, still want to know its origins, Love your stories and really dig your playing;
I would seriously pay to have you literally jam tons or riffs and solos and give some short explanations/lessons; Ever thought of online lessons?

Love the vids LOve the accent, still want to know its origins, Love your stories and really dig your playing;
I would seriously pay to have you literally jam tons or riffs and solos and give some short explanations/lessons; Ever thought of online lessons?

Lol you're cracking me up over here, thank you so much for that. OK a few answers for you...

The accent is originally from Philadelphia, where I was raised in a very tough Italian "family". We moved to NJ where most of the people in southern NJ are from Philly, and if you're north NJ you're usually from NY and have the NY accent.

I talked way worse when I was a kid...like a little gangster. Went to speech therapy to fix it, but it's not totally fixed as you can hear.

I do give online lessons for recording as well as guitar, but only teach advanced students on guitar due to how I tune. I don't tune in a standard tuning, therefore if someone doesn't know their notes on the fretboard or doesn't know their chords, watching my hands will not help.

But whatever the case, I can cook something up for anyone whether it be guitar stuff, recording techniques or even mixing someone's song and letting them watch me do it track at a time. If you have anything in mind, shoot me a private message. Thanks symph!

I don't know how i've missed these posts/vids but to echo everyone else - great job and super informative. Very relatable and easy to understand! you'd only get a thumbs down on bizarro reverse day which would still just be thumbs up anyhow. Cheers

Thanks a ton, Danny. This video really opened my eyes and ears to some cool tricks to try with the cab blocks. I've been using the Axe-Fx for a bit more than a year, but I've done virtually no tweaking to the cab blocks I'm using. I run FRFR onstage and direct to FOH for live performances, so the cab blocks are an integral part of my tone. And I'm playing only covers, so this video has given me tons of ideas to try in my pursuit to try emulating the tones in the songs I'm covering. Well done, and thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom