VIDEO/SC/PATCH: "Just What I Needed" - SoloAWeek 36

Cool1
Elliot Easton was a very under rated lead player.
IMO simple but very tasteful.
used to play this song in a cover band ages ago. LOL!

Cool1
Elliot Easton was a very under rated lead player.
IMO simple but very tasteful.

+1

He combines several styles to make his sound very unique, from country and blues to rock pentatonic stuff. One of my fav's is the solo to Shake It Up. Great short sweet solo that has everything needed!

great vid too as always!

nice job, I always liked that solo. Now if I could find a keyboard player. Or maybe the AXE II can do the synth part too?

Great tone match, always loved Easton's style... and watching him play was always a treat, lefty and all. This one and the solo in "Shake It Up" were always faves!

Nice job on the solo and great tone. It's funny...when you slow the track down to play the solo slower, the song transforms and sounds like it could be Weezer. =P

cool sounds great, that works. He plays it a bit different. We play that sound and I watched a couple of videos of him. He plays it down lower and actually the riff right before the ending walk up is slightly different with a bear of stretch on the pinky while you are bending another string. That riff I think sounds a bit cooler the way he plays it but a tad more challenging.

You can see it here (1:44):

Yeah - CC's fingering makes a little more sense to me, but EE plays it down lower. It's a good exercise to learn it a couple of different ways anyway.

Sounds great either way - Elliot is a killer artist in that he creates little complete rocking works for solos inside these straight up pop songs. Love it.

Nicely done CC!

javajunkie said:
sounded great.
BTW check the riff at 1:55. I love that little riff.

That riff rules.

Definitely an interesting position decision on his part. A lot of unnecessary work with sliding and reaching if you ask me,but cool either way.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

That riff rules.

Definitely an interesting position decision on his part. A lot of unnecessary work with sliding and reaching if you ask me,but cool either way.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

It seems to be born out of a pedal steel type of thinking. It gives a certain twanginess that you don't get in the other position. That being said, it goes by so fast it really doesn't matter. One of the great things about guitar is you can approach many lines different ways.

javajunkie said:
It seems to be born out of a pedal steel type of thinking. It gives a certain twanginess that you don't get in the other position. That being said, it goes by so fast it really doesn't matter. One of the great things about guitar is you can approach many lines different ways.

Definitely a very pedal steel kind of vibe going on that sounds very cool. If I have the occasion to play the solo again in the future, I'll probably do it that way. Having done it both ways now, I think the difference in tone is worth the position change on at least the last riff.

The lick is also slightly different from the notes/rhythm you played:

carsjwin.png

cool sounds great, that works. He plays it a bit different. We play that sound and I watched a couple of videos of him. He plays it down lower and actually the riff right before the ending walk up is slightly different with a bear of stretch on the pinky while you are bending another string. That riff I think sounds a bit cooler the way he plays it but a tad more challenging.

That's the way I play it. You're right, the last bendy bit is a pain.

Back
Top Bottom