VIDEO: HAAS Delay and how to use it

You're welcome guys!

@Coldsummer I'll see if I can get a vid together showing you some of the things I do around here. One of the guys was asking in another thread about post processing etc, so maybe I'll kill a few birds with one stone.

@REDD Hahaha! I'll get the Nuno one together with a little explanation. It's actually easy but a bit challenging because it's a feel thing. I'll explain when I get to it.

@elchampion As soon as I get a minute, I'll work on it.

In the meantime, here's a pretty close Cathedral patch which is tone matched. Depending on your ability to volume swell and how hard you swell will determine the amount of gain you use in this patch. If you find it distorting, back the gain down. If your swells are not coming out quite right, increase the gain and it should be fine. Cranking your volume wide open on this sound is not advisable as it sounds like a dong sandwich with extra veins invading your room! :p

Oh man, it won't let me upload the file for some reason? It says I'm able to upload .sys files, yet it's giving me an error?! Any suggestions?

Ha, saw old Nuno playin all his tricks last night IN Oakland; He literally said he didnt know what to play at Generation Axe so he copied a 'best of" licks and riffs someone made of him on youtuble. Quite. fun.

sounds really cool, Danny! Thanks for your explanation.

Thats the sound i always tried to reach with an Chorus or - what has been said - detune.

What Delay do you guys use on the detune with these EVH-Settings? I like on side 0ms, the other 10ms.

I have also tried a stereo EVH Setup with the pure ampsound on one side and an 100% pitchdetune on the other hard panned (Eddie did it live?) - but it wasn´t the right way, I thought?.

Do you use this dual Delay settings also with livesounds or just recording?

sounds really cool, Danny! Thanks for your explanation.

Thats the sound i always tried to reach with an Chorus or - what has been said - detune.

What Delay do you guys use on the detune with these EVH-Settings? I like on side 0ms, the other 10ms.

I have also tried a stereo EVH Setup with the pure ampsound on one side and an 100% pitchdetune on the other hard panned (Eddie did it live?) - but it wasn´t the right way, I thought?.

Do you use this dual Delay settings also with livesounds or just recording?

I'll have to check my 1984 patch. I believe the one I use is based off of a pitch block that guy Rocco created that I modified. I can't recall the settings, but I stopped it from panning to one side too.

As far as right or wrong, if it sounds good without any artifacts that degrade the sound, it is good in my opinion.

My live sound uses some HAAS stuff but only when I'm in stereo with a stereo live rig supplied by the soundman. I have ran my stereo rig just for my head, but the live sound through the board is usually not very good unless he mics both cabs and sums them so that he can work with both signals.

Thanks for the tips Danny. I tried to do ADT before, but ended up with a little mess of splits/pans/mixers (Dry L and Delayed R). I would've never thought to just do 1ms (not even a noticeable delay) on one side of the Dual DDL and set to 100% wet.

Need to check out M@tt's chorus method as well.

It's always awesome to see a fresh approach on something that gets the creative juices flowing. Thanks for that!

I've always implemented the Haas effect in my live patches with a volume block (serial) panned hard to one side and then a mono delay block (parallel) panned hard to the other... I believe this is how the original Petrucci factory preset was configured waaay back in the day. When using this method you aren't forced to delay the "original" by 1ms, and I don't notice a volume difference between the two sides like in your setup. The downside to this is it requires an additional block. I will have to try your method out on my patches and see if there is any audible difference. If not, 1 block solution wins :)

There's one thing I've always wondered about - does anyone ever use chorus in conjunction with a Haas style patch??? I sometimes will add an effect to just one side (synth, wah, etc.) but never could get a decent tone when chorus was applied either before the stereo split or after. Just curious.

There's one thing I've always wondered about - does anyone ever use chorus in conjunction with a Haas style patch??? I sometimes will add an effect to just one side (synth, wah, etc.) but never could get a decent tone when chorus was applied either before the stereo split or after. Just curious.

Yeah, I do it all the time and think it sounds great. I use it for leads a lot of the time, but done right, you can get a little extra snarl out of your tone. Just don't go too crazy with it.

Here's a little sample of what it will sound like if you go too extreme with it.

Dirty sound...chorus off for first passage...passage repeated with chorus off. A few little rhythm riffs and one lead passage so you can see what it does to certain aspects of your playing. I ran the chorus at 50% so you could hear the effects of "too much" in my opinion. I tend to use it from 25% to 36%.

Clean sound...starts with chorus off, same passage played again with chorus.

The effect softens your transient attack sort of jumbling your sound a bit because it's just too spread and effected. This is why smaller chorus levels are better. The cleaner stuff can handle more chorus as you'll hear...it's kinda cool like that. But the busier you play, the more the chorus will bite you in a negative way, in my opinion. :)

I didn't put any breaks of silence in the file as I felt you would blatantly hear the differences with chorus on and off. Hope this helps a bit.

It's always awesome to see a fresh approach on something that gets the creative juices flowing. Thanks for that!

I've always implemented the Haas effect in my live patches with a volume block (serial) panned hard to one side and then a mono delay block (parallel) panned hard to the other... I believe this is how the original Petrucci factory preset was configured waaay back in the day. When using this method you aren't forced to delay the "original" by 1ms, and I don't notice a volume difference between the two sides like in your setup. The downside to this is it requires an additional block. I will have to try your method out on my patches and see if there is any audible difference. If not, 1 block solution wins :)

Actually there's a one block solution without delay on the dry side but it could be not applicable to every patch: set balance of the previous block (say cab) at 100% on the dry side, then add your mono delay or chorus block in parallel to a shunt, pan it to the opposite side and increase level by 6dB and mix at 100%

Hint for developers: it would be great if we could separately set the dry and wet balance in delays and modulation blocks (add a dry balance parameter)

Last edited:
Yeah, I do it all the time and think it sounds great. I use it for leads a lot of the time, but done right, you can get a little extra snarl out of your tone. Just don't go too crazy with it.

I'm assuming in that example you are placing chorus block in serial before the delay/split happens. Correct?

I've mentioned this word in two of my videos and always wanted to explain it a bit more in case people wondered about it. Someone actually asked me a few minutes ago to explain it as this video was rendering, so it's perfect timing! Some of you guys know about this little effect trick, but some may not...so here you go. More Danny silliness! :)

Cool stuff! Thanks! Have you tried second/different amp on another path? Even same amp, slightly different EQ or IR, takes it up a notch. Since I have been messing with this I have gone off the deep end. Different amps and cabs on each side. Different delays and verbs. Different wahs, phasers, chorus etc. The secret sauce is different "guitar" on each side. JTV variax modeled les paul say left and magnetic p rails set to p90, right side. The different attacks of the pickups, the different delays, reverbs etc, just all take it to new level. Makes tweaking a royal PIA to get right. Still can't get a great rock sound but digging my reggae patches . . . . .

More Danny silliness! :)

Danny...

I've only been playing for 3-4 years and I've stumbled into the AxeFx world versus "traditional amps/cabs/effects". My excuse to the wife was that the AxeFx would let me own everything at once and experiment forever while I learned and discovered. The AxeFx is an amazing piece of gear but, frankly, its the support from FAS and this awesome community that never cease to amaze me.

This is a very cool video to be sure and I greatly appreciate it... more importantly, thanx for sharing! I read the forum at work when I get a few minutes and I always find myself wanting to rush home to spark up my rig!

Please keep being silly! :)

Is the HAAS effect similar to what my Boss CE-5 Chorus is doing? When it's used in stereo it gives a dramatic 3D effect. I've never been able to reproduce this effect in my G Major 2. I'm not even sure what it's doing, but it's way more than just a chorus.

Danny D, great video, I have a question for you that's a little of topic but I noticed that you have a tone match in your signal path coming strait off the comp block don't you need an amp block in front of it to make it work?.
Also maybe you could give a quick rundown of your amp and effect settings.
Thanks Tim.

Back
Top Bottom