VIDEO: Clark Kent Axe-Fx 9.02 Recto Experiment

This tone reminds me of Marco Sfogli's rhythm tone on Elements of Persuasion. He's on this board, maybe he has a couple patches up to compare.

wezx said:
Cool..reminds me of Killswitch Engage...

That's one of my biggest influences!

soggybomb said:
This tone reminds me of Marco Sfogli's rhythm tone on Elements of Persuasion. He's on this board, maybe he has a couple patches up to compare.

I like Sfogli's lead tone and IMHO he's one of the best lead guitarists out there. Amazing feel and technique... I'd rank him over Guthrie. My lead tone is quite similar to some of his lead tones but I can't play nearly as good as he does.

I'm not familiar with a lot of Killswitch stuff...but I had heard the song they had at the end of that Resident Evil movie and really liked it...really enjoyed your video as well.

I also really like Sfogli... So smooth and tasteful...reminds me a lot of Dan Huff in his melodic stylings.

wezx said:
I'm not familiar with a lot of Killswitch stuff...but I had heard the song they had at the end of that Resident Evil movie and really liked it...really enjoyed your video as well.

They've got a nice overall tone and one of the best metal vocalists. "The End of Heartache" is one of my favorite albums... check it out if you can!

wezx said:
I also really like Sfogli... So smooth and tasteful...reminds me a lot of Dan Huff in his melodic stylings.

He's considered a big JP fanboy but I think his technique and musical taste is better than JP's ATM.

Clark Kent said:
5t3f said:
Really great sound!! Sounds really fat! What did you use for drums? I really dig the snare :mrgreen:

Thanks man! It's mainly just the JP Tokyo settings. All the fatness comes from the PRS and ofcourse me. If you want my tone start eating carbs like hell! :lol:

I'm using the Superior Drummer 2.0 for drums. That's the Avatar kit and the snare is the "NIR Z" snare... it's a lot better than any snare in the Metal Foundry. Actually the kick drums suck in the Metal Foundry so don't buy that. These are just the basic sounds in the SD2... amazing stuff!

Axisman5150 said:
I use the Redwire Mesa SM57-.5" capedge in one cab the other cab the Cali (blend to taste). Sometimes I'll use a mix of that 57 and the 421 same cab/distance but mixed back from the 57 like a 60/40 ratio using the IR Mixer.

BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\MesaRectifierV30s\Sennheiser MD421N\MesaRectifierV30s-421-CapEdge-0.5in.wav,0.40
BIGBox\48 KHz-24bit\MesaRectifierV30s\Shure SM57\MesaRectifierV30s-SM57-CapEdge-0.5in.wav,0.60

Like you, I like the Cali cab on it's own but give it a try.

Ok, I'm pretty satisfied with the tone I'm getting with just the Cali but I'll try different options.

The Metal Foundry kicks don't suck, and the snare drums aren't worse or "better" than anything in the TT collection. It's personal preference, dependent on how you record, mix, etc...and of course...your personal taste and style. They may not be what you prefer for this recording, or any other, but sound is subjective for the most part.

Good vid!

diggi said:
The Metal Foundry kicks don't suck, and the snare drums aren't worse or "better" than anything in the TT collection. It's personal preference, dependent on how you record, mix, etc...and of course...your personal taste and style. They may not be what you prefer for this recording, or any other, but sound is subjective for the most part.

Good vid!

You're right! I didn't mean that they suck, in the end these are all taste issues. I think the Metal Foundry kicks have that same irritating low clap type of high end that the DFH had. No real drums have that kind of a sound. Like a bottle type of sound, it's really hard to explain it. :) IMHO a good snare has a huge tight bottom (that sounds perverted) and I couldn't find any of those in the Metal Foundry kit since they were all high pitched and I didn't want to tune them to sound different. A nice kick would be f.ex. Deftones-esque where the high end is like a really high pitched clap. Anyways I wasn't going for drum tones in this video and that's why I used factory settings. When it comes to programming drums I want to get a realistic tone.

I really love the drum tones I mixed for my band Koalia's latest three song release: http://www.myspace.com/koaliaband <--- I know it's not metal but that kick is exactly what I'm going for no matter what the genre is. These are real drums though. I used two mics: A t.bone's shure ripoff and a condenser vocal microphone.

Ah, I see where your avatar comes from...really like the band members photos/logo you have...real clean and sharp. Especially yours with the guitar and amp...very slick. Nice production on your tunes. :)

Have you ever tried Fxpansion's BFD2 for drums?

wezx said:
Ah, I see where your avatar comes from...really like the band members photos/logo you have...real clean and sharp. Especially yours with the guitar and amp...very slick. Nice production on your tunes. :)

Have you ever tried Fxpansion's BFD2 for drums?

Thanks! :) I love that Orange amp... it's just a Crush 30w amp but it's loud as hell and it can do the Orange mid-gain tone. The guitars on the newer tracks were recorded with my ex-Mark IV though.

I haven't heard from that BFD2 before but it sounds really cool. I guess it's a bit more jazz oriented.

Marco Sfogli said:
Sounds very close to the EOP tone indeed! Great job :)

Marco

Wow, thanks Marco! It really means a lot coming from you since I'm a big fan of yours'. I honestly think you've got the best technique/taste ratio among all modern guitar players. I didn't try to sound like EOP but I compared these two and it's pretty close.

Back
Top Bottom