Video - 3.02 PB 2 - Amp block Tone page with Original Controls only

chris

Owner's Manual Reader
for those who don’t want to or can’t install the latest beta, i made a video showing the Tone page of all 264 current Amp types. there is no audio. each Type is shown for 2 seconds.

each Amp type now only shows the controls of the original amp modeled. other controls are not shown here, and instead available on the Advanced tab, where all controls will appear. this is a new feature in the latest beta firmware, and will be optional in the future (currently no option).

enjoy almost 9 minutes of "where did my amp controls go":

I really wish input drive could be labeled Gain. Thats what i identify with when talking about overdrive channels
Input drive has also. Been somewhat confusing compared to the real amp.
Channels

I really wish input drive could be labeled Gain. Thats what i identify with when talking about overdrive channels
Input drive has also. Been somewhat confusing compared to the real amp.
Channels
i think Drive is the correct term, regardless of whatever anyone is used to. a quick Google search yielded (yielt?) this:

Drive (or input) usually adjusts the signal level being introduced to an amplifier. More drive will push the signal closer to the overload region of the amp, introducig more (hopefully musical) distortion artefacts.

Gain is the actual gain of the amplifier, usually controlled by reducing the negative feedback around the amp. Lower negative feedback not only increases the gain, but also reduces the amp's linearity, introducing other forms of distortion. In many cases, it will also affect the frequency response too, softening the high end, particularly.

https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31711&p=286361

I can't believe it! I asked for it a few days ago and got so much heat for it! Hallelujah!
it's been asked for since the Axe-Fx Standard over 10 years ago.

we're all lucky that Cliff is adding many new things to the Axe-Fx III that wasn't possible on the older models.

So the PAB amps still have the BMT controls but are they non functional? Interesting conundrum.. as they are there on the real amps but just bypassed.

[QUOTE

each Amp type now only shows the controls of the original amp modeled. other controls are not shown here, and instead available on the Advanced tab, where all controls will appear. this is a new feature in the latest beta firmware, and will be optional in the future (currently no option).[/QUOTE]

Makes absolute sense to show the original amp controls on the tone screen/page ...and then move the rest to advanced tab/page. Cheers to this.

Haven't downloaded the FW yet (I need Axe-Edit to catch-up), but just to add - I think this is a brilliant idea.

When I'm looking at an amp I'm familiar with I try to ignore the 'other' controls by default, only going to them for final tweaks if need be - but for 'new' amps (to me) the number of times I'm referring to documentation to check out the usual controls and labelling - love that I don't have to do this anymore.

My feeling is, since I tend to start from the emulation standpoint, the non-standard controls do pull the amp away from what I'm aiming for

Hope we get Axe-Edit soon

They are functional.
So then I am completely misunderstanding the idea or how a PAB circuit works. My goodness, help a brother out please. This whole time here I was thinking that that the tone controls were being bypassed, (ouch). So what exactly is the difference between Normal operation & PAB operation?

*EDIT: okay, so Normal operation is Tonestack before Preamp & PAB is Tonestack after the Preamp..?
Am I understanding that correct finally?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom