Wish VHT/Fryette d60 mk1 model alongside mk2

interesting, I'll give it a go as well with more extreme boosting, but i have a feeling the voicing will still have the same characteristics at higher gain

I'm pretty set on the quick rod atm in the meantime, the updated d60 model as it is no longer hits the mark
I think you are correct. After more testing, I still think the D60 more has this weird glitching on high notes (maybe more realistic, I don't know). The D60 lacks that even with neutral boost to match the gain levels but the voicing is still fairly similar.

I think the splawn is currently the best choice for .. Fryette MKI tone.

Last edited:
Here is how the MKII D60 more sim "glitches" for me during high notes. Does not happen with the D60 less MKII even when gain seems matched close enough.

Here is how the MKII D60 more sim "glitches" for me during high notes. Does not happen with the D60 less MKII even when gain seems matched close enough.

Are you referring to what sounds like a bird chirping? If so, that's probably the sound of the pick hitting the string. With the right pick material and attack, I can get that sound on any amp with a lot of gain.

If that's not the sound you are referring to, I am not sure what you mean by glitching.

Are you referring to what sounds like a bird chirping? If so, that's probably the sound of the pick hitting the string. With the right pick material and attack, I can get that sound on any amp with a lot of gain.

If that's not the sound you are referring to, I am not sure what you mean by glitching.
It's hard to describe.. but there's the sound of the pick, and then the amp "farts out" for a small amount of time. May not come off in the recording as much but it's easy to feel, over here. Switching to D60 less with more or less the same amount or gain (or even more) and it goes away.

What I'm noticing doesn't happen with any other high gain amp I typically use on the fractal (edit: at least with any settings I've used).

I don't know the technical side of this, but before I've noticed this on some more vintage sims when pushed super hard. It's like "the amp cannot keep up", in a way.

For example, if I play some malmsteen style pedal licks up high with the D60 more it's as if the amp is "struggling to catch up". It may well be something that happens with the real D60 MKII amp mode too; I wouldn't know.

I remember noticing something somewhat similar with the JCM800 sim years ago and "correcting" that by changing the supply mode to DC. This time, it doesn't seem to have an impact.

Last edited:
This is something, for example, that I know Kemper would leave out when I profiled some more vintage amps driven to heck. Or I believe it's a similar effect. But whatever "it" actually is, I was surprised to see it as much in the "more" mode of the Fryette sim.

But gone in the "less" sim.

It's hard to describe.. but there's the sound of the pick, and then the amp "farts out" for a small amount of time. May not come off in the recording as much but it's easy to feel, over here. Switching to D60 less with more or less the same amount or gain (or even more) and it goes away.

What I'm noticing doesn't happen with any other high gain amp I typically use on the fractal (edit: at least with any settings I've used).

I don't know the technical side of this, but before I've noticed this on some more vintage sims when pushed super hard. It's like "the amp cannot keep up", in a way.

For example, if I play some malmsteen style pedal licks up high with the D60 more it's as if the amp is "struggling to catch up". It may well be something that happens with the real D60 MKII amp mode too; I wouldn't know.

I remember noticing something somewhat similar with the JCM800 sim years ago and "correcting" that by changing the supply mode to DC. This time, it doesn't seem to have an impact.
That's not uncommon when you're using a lot of gain. The initial transient of the pick attack demands a lot of power from the virtual power amp and the virtual power supply, and it takes a fraction of a second for the system to recover and be back at full power. It happens with "real" amps, too, depending on the amp and how hard you're hitting it.

That's not uncommon when you're using a lot of gain. The initial transient of the pick attack demands a lot of power from the virtual power amp and the virtual power supply, and it takes a fraction of a second for the system to recover and be back at full power. It happens with "real" amps, too, depending on the amp and how hard you're hitting it.
Interesting explanation. I just tested the D60 more MK II sim. Run the Gain and Overdrive at about halfway and boosted with a TS pedal. Not very much gain, but this effect still occurs quite a bit. By comparison, I do not perceive this at all with RV50 and Dizzy Silver 4 sims with gain maxed out.

Or take the D60 more and D60 less models. Very similar voicing.. yet even matching gain levels, very different feel when playing in high registers, because of this effect. (I believe not something I experienced at all with MKI sims we had).

I am now quite curious about what changes Fryette made with the MKII amps, but also the MKII "more" mode or channel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom