VH Best of Both Worlds Summer 24 Tour

I don’t listen to Howard Stern anymore but caught a YouTube clip yesterday. Seems Sammy and Mike are going on the road next summer on “The Best of Both Worlds Tour” to pay tribute to Eddie. Heavy focus on the van Hagar era songs as well as some early VH. Jason Bonham on drums and Joe Satriani on guitar. It was said that other guitarists will be invited as well as Alex Van Halen….if he decides to return Sammy’s calls.

Hats off to these guys for doing SOMETHING to honor Eddie.

Also, looked like Joe was using an FM9 on the show. Pretty cool
Hi I’m very happy too with that news. The tour is called Best of All worlds and I’m not shure but I think what Joe is using is a Fender Tone master pro

Me too. Can't wait

Agree, his tone was terrible. I have a feeling they just got together and needed something quick to dial in. Joes tone is usually pretty wet etc and this was just amp and cab dry.
Sammy proudly indicates in song Joe didn't rehearse after the solo, but no idea if true. They sounded a little rough honestly, but I'm for sure going to see them when they come my way.

I actually thought Joe's tone was decent (not great, but not terrible), but was also a bit surprised to see him using the TMP instead of an FM9, especially since he could just dial up his signature amp. I'd really be curious to have an insight into how that decision was made. I do agree that his tone (and probably reliability) would be much better with an FM9, but I'm obviously biased.

I actually thought Joe's tone was decent (not great, but not terrible), but was also a bit surprised to see him using the TMP instead of an FM9, especially since he could just dial up his signature amp. I'd really be curious to have an insight into how that decision was made. I do agree that his tone (and probably reliability) would be much better with an FM9, but I'm obviously biased.
Sammy has been on the show before. Bonham at least played an electronic kit…last time he played a drum pad. Lol. They are traveling light obviously. As for Joe and the fender unit…..I’d bet there was some money to be had using it. But who knows.

Surprised no one has mentioned Satch's playing on Stern... He is getting grilled on TGP

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/satch-playing-evhs-parts.2513058/
I guess I'm more interested in the gear choice on this forum. A FWIW my take is that Satch is still working material out and with something like this Mean Streets performance, brought it up as an example he is still working out and finds challenging. My guess is there are a few tunes that are gig-ready and dialed right now and this isn't one of them (but probably will be). I actually found it pretty ballsy of Joe to be willing to do this.

I noticed people on that thread posting videos of some kid playing on a YouTube clip and the post about "Is he the right choice". Sammy kind of brings both of those things up, but maybe not articulately.

On the the first one, there is a big difference between someone posting the 87th take of a performance after focusing on nothing but that piece vs someone just off-the-cuff trying to pull of a technically demanding piece as part of a impromptu discussion. It wasn't like Joe was like, "Oh I've got Eddie's parts dialed, check this out."

On the second thing about maybe not being the most authentic imitator of EVH, almost every touring musician will tell you that there is A LOT more to it than just pulling the parts off technically when on tour. Between going on a tour some technical phenom he has never worked with before and doesn't know personally vs someone he has already toured extensively with and admires, it seems like this would be a no-brainer for Sammy. Additionally, my guess is that Sammy may not want a perfect imitator of EVH and would like someone who might bring some of their own personality into it.

Surprised no one has mentioned Satch's playing on Stern... He is getting grilled on TGP

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/satch-playing-evhs-parts.2513058/
watching Joe actually made me feel good cuz it reminded me that all these years working on VH licks not to beat myself up for not being 'exact'. Joe is an alien and he's still not quite getting it mind you he's probably not been working on it that long as this is all fairly recent. Also, I highly doubt Joe is about getting it exact which leads to the next point. Secondly, You always sound like you. Joe sounds like Joe playing Eddie's riffs. If Sammy and co really wanted more replicated Eddie sound they could have brought on say Pete Thorn, Toshi Yanagi or Phil X all who can nail Eddie's playing but as Sammy said on Stern , they're not looking for a replica representation of Eddie's playing. I'm not saying these 3 players don't have their own signature cuz they definitely do but Joe's playing ...his sound dna is much as eddie's was in their own respects. Hope that's coming out the way I think about it.

also, props to Sammy who can still sing thank god. I dont' think he's the kind of cat to keep going when his voice finally craps out. Not like like the guy needs the money.

Last edited:
Anyone notice that in the H. Stern videos they're tuned a full step down from Standard? I'd never notice except I tried to play along.

The one and only video I watched from that was for Right Now, during which Sammy basically said, "hey, not bad on Joe's part since he hasn't had time to practice yet"... As well as saying that performance was the first time they played that song.
There's so many (really a handful...lol) that do Eddie well. I think Joe's gonna wing it and put his spin on things. It would AWESOME if Joe tried to learn note for note solos for Dave era songs. Bbut let's face it, they won't be doing many of those. I heard a radio interview today where Sammy said they'd be doing some of their Circle stuff mixed with the Van Halen stuff. My buddy bought tickets and I'll be going in August. I'm not real hyped for it, like I was for the last Van Halen tours though. Outdoors in August would usually be a hard no for me.

In that video, he's definitely playing 5150 tuned a step down. No shame in that. Sammy sounds great to my ears. Michael Anthony does too. I can't transcribe a full step down in my head to play along...lol. Joe can. Summer Nights is an example. I remember TRYING to play it when I was young and didn't know Eddie used a Steinberger.

I heard a radio interview today where Sammy said they'd be doing some of their Circle stuff mixed with the Van Halen stuff.
Which is what he normally would do on any tour. I have no problem with people buying tickets to see this tour but I see it as a cash grab.
Call it, 'Sammy Hagar and the Circle Tour of 2024' and he'd sell x number of tickets.
Promote and alter the tour's title to piggyback off of the EVH legacy and you sell number of tickets.

Last edited:
Pete Thorn would have been a great (and probably a more authentic reproduction of the Eddie-style/feel) but Pete Thorn wouldn't sell tickets like Satriani would.
I would be SO into seeing Pete Thorn do it. But how many Dave era songs will they do? RWD & ATL are the only two I think they'll do. I hope I'm wrong.

Pete Thorn would have been a great (and probably a more authentic reproduction of the Eddie-style/feel) but Pete Thorn wouldn't sell tickets like Satriani would.
That's a great point...i wonder how much of that plays into the equation. They do have the history with Joe in Chickenfoot so the chemistry has already been establised but even Sammy mentioned on the Howard Stern show how many fans will go just to see Joe

Back
Top Bottom