vh-axe-fx-ii-fw-10.11

Thunk simulates recording LOUD. Eddie had his amp cranked. I typically set Thunk to around noon.

I'm wondering why raising the master volume doesn't raise the "thunk" value. It might be difficult software-wise to implement it, but I'd think there would be parameters that shifted in value as the master volume is raised or lowered.

Or in the case of sag, it's more noticeable at higher master volume settings. Would it be possible to "link" other controls to the master volume in a similar way?

As always, the user could still dial in more or less of these values if wanted, but they'd be more like percentages, rather than decoupled values.

I'm wondering why raising the master volume doesn't raise the "thunk" value.
From the wiki: "This parameter allows adding “weight” to tones by simulating the very low-frequency interaction of a speaker cabinet with the guitar. Higher values simulate closer proximity of the guitar to the cabinet."

If you're playing loud and your guitar is "hearing" the cab you already have "thunk".
It's more of an environmental thing so it makes sense to have independent control of it.

From the wiki: "This parameter allows adding “weight” to tones by simulating the very low-frequency interaction of a speaker cabinet with the guitar. Higher values simulate closer proximity of the guitar to the cabinet."

If you're playing loud and your guitar is "hearing" the cab you already have "thunk".
It's more of an environmental thing so it makes sense to have independent control of it.

Exactly. I often play with a power amp and guitar cab, and wouldn't want "simulated thunk' added automatically.

From the wiki: "This parameter allows adding “weight” to tones by simulating the very low-frequency interaction of a speaker cab with the guitar. Higher values simulate closer proximity of the guitar to the cabinet."

1000+

Thunk is useful when your using headphones or playing at low volume but still desire some of the "interaction" between the guitar and the cab/speaker. Something you definetely don't want automatic!

I've sat with Levi while he dials things in going for one of those classic Van Halen tones (reverb, delay, etc. along with the guitar tone).. I learned a few things from him as a result. There's more going on than you might expect as far as advanced settings..

And... when he hands me the guitar, it doesn't quite get there. IMO, so much of the VH sound is technique and I never put the time and effort into that one..

Back
Top Bottom