Verve 12MA issue

set theorist

Inspired
Bought a 12MA from someone on these boards. I'm generally happy with it as it is lightweight and sounds pretty awesome...most of the time. However, when I play my B and high E strings with a clean setting both open and fretted, there is a buzz or a distortion. My bass player thought it was a fret or the nut because it really sounds like fret buzz; but I tried another guitar and its the same deal. It also seems that the peak light on the Verve is going on.

Just for more info, i have both the in and out of the Ultra at no more than 50% and none of my presets have particularly high master vol settings. The EQ on the Verve is flat and the volume on the Verve is also around 50%.

Any ideas as to what may be going on?

Did I buy a damaged monitor?

I am sorry i can't help you. I am currently thinking of buying either this cab or their new Pro Maxx line. I'm interested to see what you come up with.

I had seen one guy mention the tweeter or something had blown on his Verve 12ma. I'm ready to get something as soon as i figure things out.

Good luck!

What do you have the input of the 12ma set to? I can easily believe that you are clipping the speaker with the AxeFx output set to 50%. You need to put in some ear plugs, set the input on the 12ma to 0, and the output on the AxeFx to max. Using your loudest preset and playing a loud as you ever want to play, increase the input on the 12ma until it starts to clip. Then back it down a bit and set the output of the AxeFx to give you the volume you want. Now the speaker won't clip no matter what.

I think I need to do more testing. I no longer believe the Verve was clipping. After taking a look at the manual, the light I was seeing flash on and off was green,, simply indicating that the Verve is recieving signal.

So now, it does not appear to be an issue of clipping. So, the question remains, is there some kind of way the Verve could be damaged that would only affect higher, clean tones, making them sound....buzzy or do I have two guitars both in need of a setup?

Thanks guys.

- Could be a problem with the tweeter. Test with music recordings you know well (i.e. not clipping or with funky hi freq. content)
- Still could be a string buzzing somewhere
- From my own experience: some amp sims at some settings seem to introduce or at least exaggerate a kind of buzzy, distorting (hi freq.) sound. Tweak the amp block to see if something's happening there.

I'm afraid it looks like an issue others (incl. myself) have experienced using the 12ma.
Starts off with a kind of "resonating" sound, as if something in the higher freqs is clipping. Then it gradually becomes worse untill (at louder volume) it sounds like the speaker is ripped. My FBT needed repair.

I'm afraid it looks like an issue others (incl. myself) have experienced using the 12ma.
Starts off with a kind of "resonating" sound, as if something in the higher freqs is clipping. Then it gradually becomes worse untill (at louder volume) it sounds like the speaker is ripped. My FBT needed repair.

So Yek, what did you do about it? how much was the repair?

I bought the 12ma from Thomann, a large online music store in Germany. I sent it back and it was repaired, no costs.
IIRC the high-freq. diaphragm was repaired/replaced. Have no idea what that is.

Glad to hear about the decent service.

Quick question if anybody knows the easy answer: I'm considering a pair of verve 12ma. Is it easy to switch between 220 voltage and 110 voltage on the amps? Swap to fuse, flip an internal switch or much more complicated.
** EDIT: here's what I found...
No, it is not switchable. So you have to buy a unit that is targeted for your market area. I'm in Canada, bought mine from the USA, and the power input label says 117V @ 60Hz (not switchable). A unit bought in Europe would have the required 240V @ 50Hz.
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/30557-FBT-12ma-Voltage?highlight=verve+voltage

At any rate, the report of the good fbt servise is comforting.

Last edited:
Starts off with a kind of "resonating" sound, as if something in the higher freqs is clipping. Then it gradually becomes worse untill (at louder volume) it sounds like the speaker is ripped... IIRC the high-freq. diaphragm was repaired/replaced.
The high-frequency diaphragm is the part of the tweeter that vibrates and produces sound. The fact that the problem started out small and gradually got worse suggest a physical failure of the diaphragm that started small, then progressively tore itself during use. The fact that others have experienced the same problem suggests a chronic design or manufacturing flaw. Unless they did something more than a direct replacement (e.g., replaced with a sturdier part), I'd be concerned about the problem recurring.

The high-frequency diaphragm is the part of the tweeter that vibrates and produces sound. The fact that the problem started out small and gradually got worse suggest a physical failure of the diaphragm that started small, then progressively tore itself during use. The fact that others have experienced the same problem suggests a chronic design or manufacturing flaw. Unless they did something more than a direct replacement (e.g., replaced with a sturdier part), I'd be concerned about the problem recurring.

Hmmm. Just days before I'm in for a pair, you've now got me wondering if this was possibly a bad batch/lot number or a more serious design flaw. I still may get them, but does make me wonder. Guess I may have to find out for myself if I get them.

Ugh. Was thinking the verve 12ma might be the holy grail. guess i'll stick with what i've got a while longer. can't blow that kind of $$ on something that is notorious for failure. been there, done that.

Notorious for failure?

Two people have had a problem and one person speculated that there may be a manufacturing problem or a design flaw based on two posts.

Let's not overreact here. Are we seeing lots of problems reported with the 12ma on other forums?

I have an 8ma and a 12ma. No problems with either one.

I agree....lets not rush to judgment. That being said, there have been way more than two posts or threads siting failures or problems with the Verve 12MA. In my case, I purchased one used and you get what you pay for.

At this point, I would say if you are in the US, you may want to give a listen to the QSC K12. Lots of users love them. However, if you are in Europe, where 12MAs and service sites are readily available, I would at least consider them.

While users siting difficulties are far more than two, the fact is, most with the Verve are very happy with it...and I've yet to read a single negative review disputing its dominance as the best sounding powered monitor for the Axe.

Made the call and the 12MA is in the mail. Should arrive in a day or two. I think it will perform well. Hope it sounds good :)

Back
Top Bottom