Vertical vs Horizontal 2x12 with Axe FX? pro's/con's?

Georgy

Inspired
I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on here, but here's the question anyway..

I've got the Axe-ii with a Matrix GT1500. I'm mostly a bedroom player however when I do play in the bedroom, I've usually got my current Matrix NL212 sitting on the bed so that I get a more directional sound coming at me. Whilst I know this is not ideal for all the obvious reasons, what I'm curious to know is, is there any tonal compromise between a vertical 2x12 vs horizontal one? Is one typically 'beefier' than the other?

I do from time to time play with a band or have a jam with a mate, and naturally, I stand a few metres away from it all so that I can hear it all. I might also ad, not a big fan of open-back cabs, I prefer closed back.

I also understand that to really compare apples with apples, one should A/B two similar cabs, like a Mesa 2x12 horizontal with a Mesa 2x12 vertical, or ENGL with an ENGL - not an Orange with a Marshall.

A part of me is leaning towards a vertical 2x12 ATM because it will purely be for the Axe set-up. I do have the existing Matrix 2x12 for both the Axe, and for my tube head.

Any input is welcomed guys.. Any recommendations?

Cheers

George

Good evening Georgy. You have quite a few variables going on there but here's my two cents (if I understand your question correctly). The monitor on you bed is absorbing low reflections in addition to your proximity to the monitor. When you place it either horizontal or vertical on a solid surface (floor) it will change, and both will be different by nature. There are tonal differences if placed in either direction on a solid surface and even as it might be moved closer to a vertical wall or corner. You will likely find that in a vertical position that it sounds a bit thinner than in a horizontal (on solid ground). Some folks even place monitors on slightly risen carpeted platforms to keep the lower resonances down if required. There truly is no right or wrong here, only what is working for the situation at the time with the rest of the mix and the acoustical environment involved.

I hope this is of some help and that I didn't misunderstand your exact question.

Regards.

There's no hard and fast rules with cab placement really. If it sounds good and is usable then it doesn't really matter whether it's vertical, horizontal, tilted or sitting in a saucer of warm milk (although I don't recommend that last one). When the cab is on a solid surface, you'll get some ground coupling from the porting on the bottom of the cab. In some situations this is desirable but others it may not be (hollow boomy stages for instance) so putting the cab on its side would work. I'd say give it a go. You'll obviously be raising the height of one speaker in the cab so it may sound more "direct". Just add some more bottom end via the Global Eq to compensate a little. You may find that you don't need to and can hear the cab much better. Give it a go and experiment. If it works and there's no reason it shouldn't with a bit of tweaking then all's good.

Horizontally the two speakers will be equal distance from the floor, and both closer to the floor, so that should give you the least amount of comb filter cancellations and give sharper attack. In practice, it might sound good vertical for whatever reason...

A part of me is leaning towards a vertical 2x12 ATM because it will purely be for the Axe set-up. I do have the existing Matrix 2x12 for both the Axe, and for my tube head.
Although I haven't tried it with my Axe-Fx I have tried my favorite 2-12" cab both vertically & horizontally with several different tube & SS amps and hands down horizontal won out every time so now I don't even bother with vertical anymore.

Although I haven't tried it with my Axe-Fx I have tried my favorite 2-12" cab both vertically & horizontally with several different tube & SS amps and hands down horizontal won out every time so now I don't even bother with vertical anymore.

Great to know mate, thanks!

Horizontally the two speakers will be equal distance from the floor, and both closer to the floor, so that should give you the least amount of comb filter cancellations and give sharper attack. In practice, it might sound good vertical for whatever reason...

What you will find is a vertical 2x12" will produce a wider beam of sound in the horizontal plane ... and there should be less comb effects for people wandering across the audience area. Comb effects will still be heard, but only by people jumping up and down on pogo sticks or similar.

A horizontal pair will give you a narrower beam in the horizontal plane, and comb effects as you wander across the soundfield, the members of the audience on pogo-sticks (if any) will benefit from reduced comb filter effects in the vertical plane though :)

You do get better bass coupling with a horizontal pair close to the floor though, so in the end, a lot of it comes down to "personal preference". Technically, a vertical pair is going to give a more accurate reproduction across the audience, with more people hearing the sound as you want them to hear it. Try it both ways, get a *trusted* friend to check the sounds in a gig at the left and right edges of the audience area ... its all down to preferences at the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom