Version 5.00 firmware preview

I know this is going to be possibly one of the biggest advances in modelling tech so far. All you 'need that amp in the room sound' guys will be shocked out of your minds! :lol
I'd be a little more cautious...
- I've seen no beta-testers claim this so far? (on the forum, I mean ;))
- Cliff has not specifically said he's very proud of it? :ugeek
- He only upped the firmware by 1 full point... :p

Last edited:
That's only to make room for others, if it was firmware gazillion.0 we would be closer to the end of the universe..

I expect a bunch of different iterations, but I was wondering with all these seemingly 'little' changes why it didn't go to 4.xx, and then I re-read the posts and it hit me like a ton of bricks. It IS a major set of changes, and that's why it's firmware 5.
I'm not a beta tester, and I'm sure the tech is still early in the game, but I have little doubt that it will be huge ;)

Edit - cliff didn't say he was proud of it, but he DID say he was having a lot of fun, and gave us not one, not two, but THREE tastes of what is to come.....and mentioned he loved how dynamic it is. You can hear it in the clips easily. I usually take in new firmware in stride, but this set of clips caught my ears, and re-reading what he said caught my inner nerd's attention! :lol:

Last edited:
So I understand that impedance changes with frequency (in an inductor), but what's the relationship with power about? Is it because of the movement of the "motor," and the more movement the less apparent impedance? I would assume this is frequency dependant too. That's more of a question than a statement. Just trying to get a grip on this.

It's a little more complex.
Try this site for some basic knowledge:
Lenard Audio Institute - Education - Professional Live Sound.

Yes, this is a big step in the right direction.
Now Cliff needs to concentrate on the internal reflections inside the cab to go to the next level.

:D

I agree with Jon. A truly interactively dynamic relationship between speaker and poweramp is huge. The audible effects may be subtle (but definitely discernable), but as Cliff and others have already testified, the feel is better. I can't wait to try it!

Me too! This is the first time I am ITCHING for a firmware update! I normally update every few months, but I'm putting this one in as soon as it pops out of the oven! :lol:

Differential calculus comes in handy... among SOOO many other things. Cliff, I am in awe, and quite envious :D Awe and fascination. Thank you for sticking to your guns.

IMO, this is what it was like to be around visionaries, such as Newton. One observes a behaviour, and attempts to quantify it. In doing so, one attempts to replicate. With a "virtual lab and workshop," missing the mark (so not failures) is not as... life threatening ;). Translating quantification so as to allow unified interaction (eg guitar into amp = guitar into Axe = same output) is.. problematic. This latest version is extremely intriguing. This is the first time I am saying this, and it might be premature, but, the examples provided have a "dimensional girth" that bring the Axe incredibly close. I mean no insult by that, quite the contrary, as the margin of difference is already immeasurable (IMO) but via critical listening. But, the most important thing for me is how it feels.. how it interacts. When the gear behaves more interactively within itself, this creates rhythm. When player and gear sync :D

That's a linear process and captured in the Impulse response if properly taken.

Care to elaborate? I'm no expert in IR capture, I'd like some insight like this from guys who know about it.

Edit - I know about the linear process, but how does it capture internal reflections, and how are THEY linear? I would think they would need something like a reverb (spatial) algorithim to work. Also, what about open back vs closed back designs?

Last edited:
For my money put the dynamic speaker modelling in the amp section.

That's a missing link between the real cab and the modelled amp, should improve things for those of us using guitar cabs and clean power amps as the modelled power amp will react like its hooked up to a cab.

If this is what it's like on here all the time I'm going to enjoy owning this thing.

Reactions: jon
That's funny. Like one time in highschool when our teacher was waiting for the class to calm down when entering the room, when the silence occured he went "lol"
and the class went crazy! People were falling apart with laughter :) Not that it's the same as Cliff doing a +1.

Reactions: jon
Care to elaborate? I'm no expert in IR capture, I'd like some insight like this from guys who know about it.

Edit - I know about the linear process, but how does it capture internal reflections, and how are THEY linear? I would think they would need something like a reverb (spatial) algorithim to work. Also, what about open back vs closed back designs?

I was talking about the damping factors reflections create.
This changes with amplitude.
IR's are OK if you are willing to ignore these minute effects and round things up.
The challenge is to go beyond the capabilities of IR's... Volterra Kernels looks promising.... on paper.... but so far
I haven't seen any convincing and usable examples.

;)

I was talking about the damping factors reflections create.
This changes with amplitude.
IR's are OK if you are willing to ignore these minute effects and round things up.
The challenge is to go beyond the capabilities of IR's... Volterra Kernels looks promising.... on paper.... but so far
I haven't seen any convincing and usable examples.

;)

You are making an assumption that it's non-linear process. Can you explain the process why you think it's amplitude dependant? Any links?

Last edited:
For my money put the dynamic speaker modelling in the amp section.

That's a missing link between the real cab and the modelled amp, should improve things for those of us using guitar cabs and clean power amps as the modelled power amp will react like its hooked up to a cab.

If this is what it's like on here all the time I'm going to enjoy owning this thing.

+3

(+1 for each paragraph)

Back
Top Bottom