Versatility--PRS 509, 513 or.....Gibson Nighthawk

Don't have one at that level, maybe never will, but I've definitely played some places where bringing a guitar like that would be dangerous. OTOH, so would bringing an Axe.

Here’s my Swampy 513. These came along for a short period after they had stopped the Brazilian necks versions. I was at a PRS factory Experience way back when the 513 was a year or so in production and Paul was not fan of the the 513 design. He didn’t really say exactly why. This was back when he was losing some control to the shareholders and I think it was just too busy for him. Thus the 509. Or maybe trying to be too Strat like. LOL. Things have come a long way and now they’re making straight up Strats. Anyway, I love this guitar. I was actually wanting a swamp ash PRS with single coil options. So when I was at the factory they had just been introduced and I grabbed this quick. All the pup positions are distinct and serve a purpose for me. I have two other Core PRS and this gets the most use.

Attachments

• B4394FDF-4E48-4824-9AF1-A6B66444468F.jpeg
    B4394FDF-4E48-4824-9AF1-A6B66444468F.jpeg
    874.2 KB · Views: 8
Here’s my Swampy 513. These came along for a short period after they had stopped the Brazilian necks versions. I was at a PRS factory Experience way back when the 513 was a year or so in production and Paul was not fan of the the 513 design. He didn’t really say exactly why. This was back when he was losing some control to the shareholders and I think it was just too busy for him. Thus the 509. Or maybe trying to be too Strat like. LOL. Things have come a long way and now they’re making straight up Strats. Anyway, I love this guitar. I was actually wanting a swamp ash PRS with single coil options. So when I was at the factory they had just been introduced and I grabbed this quick. All the pup positions are distinct and serve a purpose for me. I have two other Core PRS and this gets the most use.
I know flame tops are all the rage (and they are pretty), but I'm a big fan just regular wood grain. Nice one.

Any HSS guitar wired for flexibility is quite versatile enough in my opinion. If you need extra extra, add piezo saddles.
That doesn't give the option for a neck HB, which is essential for me. Just heard about the Vola which seems to be conceptually similar to the PRS 513.

1655520098526.png
This model, the OZ RV TNC is new and runs around $2K. They're made in Japan, but I'm not familiar with the brand.

I know flame tops are all the rage (and they are pretty), but I'm a big fan just regular wood grain. Nice one.
Yeah, people seem to ooh and aah at this as much as the 10 top flame maple I have. I forgot to mention that the swamp ash has a maple neck with rosewood board. The 513 body shape is just a bit more petite (sexy) than the CU’s and others. As far as a more non exotic wood guitar like a Strat this was always my choice of wood combos. Someday I need to get an all maple neck guitar. For whatever reason I just was drawn to non maple fretboard, but have played many and always liked the feel.

Yeah! Someone walked away with my’59 Les Paul and my ‘61 Fender Strat 20 years ago….
Only ever lost one guitar via "growing legs". My red '80s Ibanez strat-oid with a pair of Carvin humbuckers in it wandered iff at The Sail Inn the night Jimmy Eat World opened for us. Not sure if it got mixed up with their stuff or its growing of legs was crowdsourced. Thankfully it was a relatively small loss of my backup guitar....

Only ever lost one guitar via "growing legs". My red '80s Ibanez strat-oid with a pair of Carvin humbuckers in it wandered iff at The Sail Inn the night Jimmy Eat World opened for us. Not sure if it got mixed up with their stuff or its growing of legs was crowdsourced. Thankfully it was a relatively small loss of my backup guitar....
If you're reading this sitting in a room with a Nighthawk, '59 LP, '61 strat, and a red Ibanez strat-oid ...

Swiping a trademan's tools is lousy. Give that stuff back.

Back
Top Bottom