Vaping in front of your axe fx

KyleS

Literally can't find an answer to this on this forum. My guess is that it would be best not to vape in the same room I keep my axe in. it's been a habit before with other gear but now I'm subconscious about this. any opinions?

Any electrical device that uses forced air cooling (I.e. a fan) will tend to drag in any contaminants and particles from the environment... But I suspect that the amount of vape residue will be very minimal as compared to everything else.
If you were smoking tobacco products then it might be a different story, the amount of PCs I have seen with brown sticky gunk covering the components and boards is shocking.
So in summary I don't think there will be a problem and either way it's always a good idea to have a cleaning schedule in place - both for your room and also for your equipment.

Probably not harmful but don't listen to me. My axe makes a fine ashtray holder and I've smoked hundreds of Camels in close proximity to the unit, I find it gives the tubes a vintage yellow and smoky vibe ha. I'd hate to see what the insides look like eee yuck . Still sounds great and works flawlessly though.

I've often wondered this too, my room is like a sisters of mercy gig :) Im sure it will leave a thin film just like it does on the windows and especially if your juice is high VG but no idea if this can harm the unit

Thinking some more about it, it's surely gonna be the same as a very high humidity room. Maybe Cliff could give us his thoughts?

Any electrical device that uses forced air cooling (I.e. a fan) will tend to drag in any contaminants and particles from the environment... But I suspect that the amount of vape residue will be very minimal as compared to everything else.
If you were smoking tobacco products then it might be a different story, the amount of PCs I have seen with brown sticky gunk covering the components and boards is shocking.
So in summary I don't think there will be a problem and either way it's always a good idea to have a cleaning schedule in place - both for your room and also for your equipment.

Yea I would say for most that keep it inside a rack or without the fan being exposed it wouldn't be a problem but I worry if the amount of smoke leaving a film inside the fan if exposed could loosen up the soldering? Might not even make sense what I just said lol. I've never seen the internal hardware of the axe fx

I'd be infinitely more worried about dust than vapor. Vapor shouldn't cause any harm at all assuming you're not blowing it directly on the electronics inside the case. Dust, however, can cause electronics to overheat if there's enough build-up, as it acts as an insulator.

wwwww
I worry if the amount of smoke leaving a film inside the fan if exposed could ...
It's worth mentioning that vapor and smoke are two different things. That said, I know that the VG in juices can leave a residue on windshields in your car if you vape in it frequently enough, however you're typically blowing the vapor directly at the windshield. I tend to think the electronics in the Axe are fairly well protected since the only access to them is through the small ventilation holes on the sides of the unit.

As an aside, I've heard that ventilation isn't really necessary as the hardware doesn't get hot enough to need it but that Cliff incorporated it due to user demand. Whether that's actually true, I don't know.

any deposits on conductive surfaces can effect connection more or less
p.s. I vape, and am a electronics tech, try to minimize exposure to Axefx

Last edited:
Man I need to give it up.
I take no pride in being a vapist.
Costing me a fortune too but it seems to help me think...

I never understood the problem with this.
If smoke actually did something, I guess the old amps that played 5 clubs a week would would have imploded years ago.
It is really hystrarical to think smoke or vapor would do anything to any product.
Only hurts your lungs.

It's non smoker propaganda! ;)
Non smokers don't want gear that smells like cigarettes, The nicotine gunk can end up getting kinda baked on when it's in something like an amp that tends to run very hot. and then it kind of becomes a permanent fixture of the amp. I am sure there is damage that can be done, but I have been a smoker since I was more than 20 years, and have always smoked around my gear. Never had an issue from it other than it smelling like cigarettes.

It's non smoker propaganda! ;)
Non smokers don't want gear that smells like cigarettes, The nicotine gunk can end up getting kinda baked on when it's in something like an amp that tends to run very hot. and then it kind of becomes a permanent fixture of the amp..
This is almost certainly where a lot of vintage amps get their mojo from, we can only hope that FAS develops a method for simulation of smoke induced component aging; otherwise we're all gonna die chasing these tones.

Back
Top Bottom