Van Halen for beginners?

Dpoirier

Fractal Fanatic
Ok, fair enough, I'm far from being a beginner, but I've never dared try to play any Van Halen before. And I don't have anywhere near the talent. Nor the speed. Nor the precision. I usually fudge my way (reasonably well) through everything I play. You know, my own playing but with all the necessary hooks and recognizable runs.

But in the vast repertoire that this genius has produced, is there by any chance an easier one, perhaps a cut where he did not play a brain-melting solo, but rather an easier one?

I'd love to use such a song to inspire me, and perhaps rid me of my VH-anxiety?

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Dance The Night Away

You can always skip the pyrotechnics and play other stuff. IMO, the toughest aspect of EVH is the groove and the swing, and you'll never totally get that, but it'll improve your playing to work on it.

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Dance The Night Away

You can always skip the pyrotechnics and play other stuff. IMO, the toughest aspect of EVH is the groove and the swing, and you'll never totally get that, but it'll improve your playing to work on it.
As I was reading I thought 316 Also.
Jammies crying
You really got me
Black & Blue

Pete Thorn is a huge Van Halen fan, and did a 4 or 5 part group of lessons on YouTube in 2008 on Eruption. I discovered them in 2012 or 2013, after I started following Pete’s channel and Facebook page. I have been playing it in bands for years now. I think, even if you are unable to get it down in full, you will learn some cool techniques that he uses, and it might lessen your apprehensiveness in trying to play his works.
I think I play about six Van Halen songs in my cover band now. All started with that!

I agree learn the one you love.

I’m not at all talented but I think (apart from Hot For Teacher intro) all are doable - just learn small sections and start slow.

As long as you’re not standing next to him or Wolfie - people won’t notice!

I started with "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love". All of the other tunes that have been mentioned are fairly simple as well.

I'll also throw out there "Feel Your Love Tonight".

believe it or not, with the right delay settings, Cathedral is pretty easy too. there's one part when he goes back down the neck that i needed to research a little but the pattern just repeats all the way up the neck.

I started with "Ain't Talkin' Bout Love". All of the other tunes that have been mentioned are fairly simple as well.

I'll also throw out there "Feel Your Love Tonight".
ive just started digging into this. i LOVE this song!

As a huge Van Halen fan, I'd suggest:

RWTD
You Really Got Me
Ain't Talkin Bout Love
Little Dreamer
Light Up the Sky
Everybody Wants Some
Hear About it Later
Unchained
Panama

Those are all decently simple

Back