VAN HALEN BROWN SOUND... With Eddie's Musicman!!!... PANAMA, AT'BLove, YouRGotMe

Hey Fractal fans,

I've been asked a lot of questions recently about my tones, patches, and videos I've been making on the Axe-Fx...
So it's about time I put this baby up!
It's a mini Medley of the Van Halen Classics - Panama, Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, and You Really Got Me.

Please excuse the poor quality backing tracks, facials!, and my loose playing - lol
That Musicman has been thrashed over the years and can be a lil' unstable at times - hehe

Firstly I must say...
Even using Eddie's guitar, it's so difficult to sound like him in the digital world, but this is the closest I've got on any modeller to date.
I find any AC/DC style and heavier 80's EVH Rock type tones the hardest to nail and don't know why???
I used a modded Marshall/Plexi sim and tweaked for hours while jammin' to Panama and this is what I come up with ;)
This sound works really well for me in the mix playing live with a band as a generic 80's Rock tone and I usually give a little boost for leads which sounds real nice with effects to taste.

Enjoy

Please like my Facebook Fanpage and all the other Axe-Fx Videos here:
www.facebook.com/TheLennyDShow
Lenny DeRoma - YouTube
Lenny DeRoma - Lenny D Extras - YouTube
Lenny DeRoma (TheLennyDShow) on Twitter
TheLennyDShow's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Thanks guys for the comments.
Oh yes... most definitely - If I want the patch to sound like early Van Halen I - I'd need to load up on the reverb.
But... I use this sound as a general 80's rock tone, so I like to keep it pretty standard at subtle in the mix.

As for the comment on Panning...
It's just me playing live man!!!
All my sounds are set up in Mono so I can plug into any PA system without having to worry about Stereo Compatibility etc
Of course if I was in the studio, I'd be layering, panning, and making it sound epic

Dude,
I've only ever seen 1 other guy on this forum get close to a showcasing usable Van Halen tone on the Axe.
This is by far the best 1 or 2 I've heard.
You are THE MAN.

Thanks guys for the comments.
Oh yes... most definitely - If I want the patch to sound like early Van Halen I - I'd need to load up on the reverb.
But... I use this sound as a general 80's rock tone, so I like to keep it pretty standard at subtle in the mix.

As for the comment on Panning...
It's just me playing live man!!!
All my sounds are set up in Mono so I can plug into any PA system without having to worry about Stereo Compatibility etc
Of course if I was in the studio, I'd be layering, panning, and making it sound epic

Agreed, to many people chasing the RECORDED tones of EVH which are probably unusaeable live. This sounds like a great all around rock patch for live work, awesome!

That's seriously ROCKIN'

KILLER TONE MAN

AND EXACTLY - it's impossible to sound like a studio EVH and stupid to try to attempt to achieve stereo sounds and panned reverbs for live playing.
Most amps or PA you only plug into 1 input and have 1 output.

This is easily the best/closest/real I've heard so far on the forum - that Musicman Eddie helps too I think.

I don't have perfect pitch, but if you put that much effort into a sound and movie then tune up please! (Friendly suggestion)
Keep rocking!

Last edited:
Levi - If u read my comments...
Please do excuse the guitar - IT'S BEEN THRASHED over the years and totally UNSTABLE/IMPOSSIBLE to stay in tune!
BUT
Still sounds and looks so good.
The video is just to showcase the tone buddy.

Joel - yr hilarious...
Not sure if you're taking the piss or being serious half the time...
I'm Aussie - that's what we do so I can handle it ;)
Hope u like the sounds... I'm thinking of doing an acoustic one next.

maiden maniac - cheers bud - the longest thing on each video is always picking the wardrobe - lol
Each video takes less than hour to slap together - wardrobe about 1 full hour!!!
Hey - I think I wanted one of your rock tones a while back to compare things too...
Still waiting - HAHA

I'm more than happy to shoot off my patches when I can no probs.

Lenny: Didn't mean to be rude, but it is hard for me to listen to the tone while the guitar is out of tune! From my perspective the LOOK was more important than the TONE in this video. IMHO.

All good Levi...
Man - with me it all starts with Tone being the most important thing first ;)
The rest is just meh whatever - I get requested/contracted what to where/what colour guitar to use most major gigs.

But yeah - please check out this Video:
I'm actually using a very similar Patch - just with more delay/reverb!!!
Much more stable guitar... AND in Tune BUT the clear Jem isn't at the level for sound compared to the MusicMan.

Either way, I hope you like this one better ;)

I'm lovin' that 20th Anniversary JEM! I'd be afraid to play such an expensive instrument and would likely confine it to a display case. Nice playing! And thanks for sharing the EVH sounds! I'm also a huge fan of chasing down Eddie's original sound.

Back
Top Bottom