Van Halen "BEAT IT" solo

I had read that Eddy tracked that solo direct through a boss ds-1 into the mixing console. It doesn't sound anything like his normal miked brown sound of that era. I'd try not using an amp block.

Personally, I think that solo is all in the fingers. I say that because I have a number of recordings of my band doing it over the last couple of years and it somehow always sounds exactly the same even though I've used a number of different amps and, more recently, the AxeFx to do it.

Tubescorcher said:
I had read that Eddy tracked that solo direct through a boss ds-1 into the mixing console. It doesn't sound anything like his normal miked brown sound of that era. I'd try not using an amp block.

I've never heard that ?!?

Where did you read it ... ?

Boss used to distribute a little booklet with every pedal (maybe they still do?). In it there was an example setup diagram for each pedal demonstrating how a particular artist used that pedal to record a particular solo or song. For the HM2 - Heavy Metal pedal, the solo was Eddie's Beat It solo and iirc the diagram showed only three things. Guitar, HM2 and a mixing desk! I have no idea how true to life that is, but I think the HM2 is the pedal he used.

tgunn said:
Boss used to distribute a little booklet with every pedal (maybe they still do?). In it there was an example setup diagram for each pedal demonstrating how a particular artist used that pedal to record a particular solo or song. For the HM2 - Heavy Metal pedal, the solo was Eddie's Beat It solo and iirc the diagram showed only three things. Guitar, HM2 and a mixing desk! I have no idea how true to life that is, but I think the HM2 is the pedal he used.

I see that type of stuff all the time, doesn't mean that's what he used to record it with ....

There's a whole epsitle thread over at the Metroamp forum that says he used a solid-state Hartley-Thompson amp that he borrowed from Allan Holdsworth.

There's a couple of guys that claim their fathers knew each other, etc; One guy even traced the timeline of when Alan was in LA recording one of his albums that Eddie produced .... Evidently it all matches up ?

It could be true, it could all be snake-oil .... Regardless, whatever he used, it's definitely an argument for "the tone is in the fingers" ....

R.D. said:
tgunn said:

I see that type of stuff all the time, doesn't mean that's what he used to record it with ....

There's a whole epsitle thread over at the Metroamp forum that says he used a solid-state Hartley-Thompson amp that he borrowed from Allan Holdsworth.

There's a couple of guys that claim their fathers knew each other, etc; One guy even traced the timeline of when Alan was in LA recording one of his albums that Eddie produced .... Evidently it all matches up ?
Wow, people really put in the hours on this one. FWIW, Guitar Player magazine had a cartoon about this particular session several years ago.
My memory might be playing tricks on me but the way I remember it, Eddie did show up with a single pedal (HM2) and played a couple of takes while MJ was there co-producing (with a mask and a monkey on his back in the cartoon). In the end Eddie's pay for the gig was $0. I have no idea how factual that is, but those are two sources I can remember - the Boss booklet being the other.

I'm not betting my life on this though. I don't think it's the pedal that gets the tone anyway...
R.D. said:
Regardless, whatever he used, it's definitely an argument for "the tone is in the fingers" ....
That's exactly it. Or maybe it was his rental car ;)

tgunn said:
FWIW, Guitar Player magazine had a cartoon about this particular session several years ago.

I remember that cartoon as well ..., but I don't remember the reference to the BOSS pedal .... And given the whole thing was kind-of a spoof on the situation, I wouldn't take it too seriously ....

I've got one of those old Boss Heavy Metal pedals. It's got more fuzz than the sound of that solo to my ears.

I went back and re-listened, he might have been overdriving an 1176 compressor into distortion + whatever he was using for amp / pedals.

But the HM pedal can do a mean Neil Young Live Rust'ish tone when it's in front of a Fender Twin or Bassman.

Richard

It was done using the Hartley Thompson solid state amp. Pete Hartley lives in my hometown in Sheffield and is a bit of a legend. Allan Holdsworth used to use one and Eddie either borrowed that or sourced another one. All around the time EVH was trying to get Holdsworth signed to Warner Bros etc

Back
Top Bottom