Vai Academy 2018

So cool. How was the colleague talent? All amazing players I’m sure.

Last edited:
So cool. How was the collegue talent? All amazing players I’m sure.
It's actually quite varied, surprisingly... I found the same when I attended The G4 Experience a couple years ago.

Of course, there are a lot of "shredders" without an iota of musicality.

I got to jam with Vai and his band on the first night of the camp (everyone does) - it was both kind of scary but also quite fun once I was playing.

I'm hoping there was a video captured by someone, but who knows...

A couple pics from last night. Vai performed a couple songs and was then joined by Annie to play a St Vincent song.

Bonus points if you can guess which Vai song Steve was performing in the pic of him.

Attachments

• 1A375469-42AF-481A-A964-0E2100D1B888.jpeg
    1A375469-42AF-481A-A964-0E2100D1B888.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 76
  • F4B2B63B-FE85-4533-B211-0FB74D9B79DA.jpeg
    F4B2B63B-FE85-4533-B211-0FB74D9B79DA.jpeg
    152.8 KB · Views: 65
Gravity Storm. That's the guitar he uses for the low tuning for that song.
You got it! As soon as I saw Thomas Nordegg hand him the guitar, I was stoked. Gravity Storm is one of my favorite Vai tunes.

I also want to learn more about that guitar because it's not a standard model. The body is very Strat like (it looks like an older early 80's Roadstar) but it has an all access neck joint and an Edge tremolo. Plus it's got 3 single-coil sized pickups.

By the way, I got invited to preview some new Line6 gear (under NDA, so I can't talk about it) that was pretty cool. I'm guessing they will announce it at NAMM. Stay tuned... I think you'll all be interested.

I also want to learn more about that guitar because it's not a standard model. The body is very Strat like (it looks like an older early 80's Roadstar) but it has an all access neck joint and an Edge tremolo. Plus it's got 3 single-coil sized pickups.

I can't seem to find where I read it but my recollection is that he had that guitar made for the Jimi Hendrix Experience tour based on a similarly painted strat that Jimi had. It's tuned down a whole step and he ended up using it for Gravity Storm because the lower tuning made the strings bendier. The bridge and neck pickups are single coil sized humbuckers for his traditional HSH configuration.

So overall do you consider the academy worth the money? I've considered doing either the Vai or Petrucci one but the number of people they draw concerns me. Like if there were a cap of 10-20 students, it would be a no brainer for me but I'd hate to spend that much and then be stuck all the way back in a room full of a hundred people without a close up view of the headliner. Despite that, I haven't seen a single negative review from an attendee of one of these!

I can't seem to find where I read it but my recollection is that he had that guitar made for the Jimi Hendrix Experience tour based on a similarly painted strat that Jimi had. It's tuned down a whole step and he ended up using it for Gravity Storm because the lower tuning made the strings bendier. The bridge and neck pickups are single coil sized humbuckers for his traditional HSH configuration.

That would make sense. It's very visually appealing to me.

So overall do you consider the academy worth the money? I've considered doing either the Vai or Petrucci one but the number of people they draw concerns me. Like if there were a cap of 10-20 students, it would be a no brainer for me but I'd hate to spend that much and then be stuck all the way back in a room full of a hundred people without a close up view of the headliner. Despite that, I haven't seen a single negative review from an attendee of one of these!
I also attended The G4 Experience in 2015.

There were pros and cons for both events. There were 170 people in attendance at Vai Academy. The master class sessions were targeted for basically all to attend... At G4, there were multiple master classes at the same time, which kept the class sizes smaller and a bit more "intimate". Vai had a more full agenda, too.

For me, it was worth the money... Although I'm not sure I'll attend a 3rd one unless there is a lineup I just can't resist.

This session's focus from Vai was theory. I was hoping to get more from that, but due to catering to overall skill level of attendees I didn't get much out of that as I pretty much already knew what he taught.

However, the smaller workshops were cool. Larry, Stig Mathisen, Doug Doppler (my old teacher), Philip Bynoe (Vai's bassist), etc are all great guys with a lot of knowledge and great insights.

Yngwie was fairly uninterested and not enthused and brought a ridiculous stack of amps...

Steve Morse was great. Sad to hear he's got some medical issues with his picking hand and is having to completely change his picking technique.

Vai was Vai :) He imparted a lot of his "metaphysical" advice during his sessions, which was great.

Annie Clark (aka, St Vincent, whose music I'm only peripherally familiar with) was actually a stand-out as far as speaking. Her views on writing, playing, ideas, etc was great. Vai is a big fan of hers!

There were also short sessions with Sterling Ball (of Ernie Ball/Music Man) and famed manager and record company owner Miles Copeland. Talk about opinionated! These guys are great!

After listening to Sterling, I have a lot of respect for him and his companies.

One thing that G4 had was a 1 hour concert each night by one of the featured acts. At Vai, he would play 2-3 songs a night plus one with a guest... And then Steve and the band did jams with the campers.

Getting to spend 5-10 minutes jamming with Steve was cool, although I was super nervous up until I got onstage and started playing. After that it was magic! And they accommodated people of all skill levels.

So... Is it worth it? To me, it was. There were so many people there that probably paid more to fly there than the cost of the camp... I was really surprised! People from around the world.

I really respect guitarists, like Vai, and Larry, that have a natural bond with other guitarists, and want to share what they have learned. I really dislike ego maniacs that think they are the bomb. They generally bore me as they have no artistic depth. Sounds like your experience was very positive. Many thanks @unix-guy for the report, live from Vai Academy. Film at 11.

Back
Top Bottom