Vai 2023 Setup

AXBX

Dear Forum,

These insights for a hybrid live rig are cool :

Now
How is the signal chain run in detail? Is it 4CM or Instrument input at the AXE III?
Main aspect is how to achieve a 0 Latency Setup with the synergys. Is that possible at all here?
I guess you need a 100% Wet Signal if using chorus or - even more tricky -a Compressor in advance for "Love of God" etc, which appears to me only being possible in series and thus adding the AXE´s digital roundtrip latency.

What´s your guess on 0 latency here? Is there more latency added in the AXE, IF you would use the amp sims and/or cab sims or is it a fixed value.

THX
AXEBX

Last edited:
It looks like the guitar tech stated that the guitar goes into the pedalboard, into the synergy preamps, then into the Af3. He claims that they are not using amp or cab modeling on the main guitar. It goes out of the Af3 to the power amps then to the live cabs, which are mic'ed up with beta 57s.

It looks like the guitar tech stated that the guitar goes into the pedalboard, into the synergy preamps, then into the Af3. He claims that they are not using amp or cab modeling on the main guitar. It goes out of the Af3 to the power amps then to the live cabs, which are mic'ed up with beta 57s.
thx for your reply: So is there a chance for a analogue 0 latency setup only using fx blocks (or at least lower latency values), when in series with the AXE? Does the AXE allow a 0 Latency slaving through of the synergy signal (Maybe in parallel, merely adding the FX)

Last edited:
thx for your reply: So is there a chance for a analogue 0 latency setup only using fx blocks (or at least lower latency values), when in series with the AXE? Does the AXE allow a 0 Latency slaving through of the snergy signal (Maybe in parallel, merely adding the FX)

If there is A/D/A conversion, there's latency.

If he is running the effects chain in parallel with an all analog signal, the analog signal will have no latency.

If he doesn't have his head glued to the speaker cone, there's latency.

I see. Now: What´s the reason for Steve using a mono analogue pre amp in a hybrid (latency inducing) digitalized stereo setup ?

Last edited:
I see. Now: What´s the reason for Steve using a mono analogue pre amp in a hybrid (latency inducing) digitalized stereo setup ?
You seem to be really focused on latency...

Is that your concern or are you reflecting comments Vai previously made about that?

Dear Forum,

Now
How is the signal chain run in detail? Is it 4CM or Instrument input at the AXE III?
Main aspect is how to achieve a 0 Latency Setup with the synergys. Is that possible at all here?
I guess you need a 100% Wet Signal if using chorus or - even more tricky -a Compressor in advance for "Love of God" etc, which appears to me only being possible in series and thus adding the AXE´s digital roundtrip latency.

What´s your guess on 0 latency here? Is there more latency added in the AXE, IF you would use the amp sims and/or cab sims or is it a fixed value.

THX
AXEBX

Dear Forum,

Now

THX
AXEBX

The tech is Steve’s mini me.
Dude sounds just like Steve when he was younger……

Endorsement, and some doses of mysticism.
This. If FAS paid Steve more than what BAM pays him for his endorsement and royalties of his signature module, you can bet your ass he’d likely change his tune.

The guy has to pay the bills somehow and we all know that record sales and touring alone won’t.

You seem to be really focused on latency...

Is that your concern or are you reflecting comments Vai previously made about that?
The thing is, if you would add latency somewhere(!) in the chain, it does not really matter if your pre amp is 0 ms for tone shaping and feel, I would assume. Key question is, how the Rig would achieve a 0ms signal through the signal path as some modulation FX traditionally are run in series.
BUT: you would have to add (digital and thus latency inducing) chorus, delay etc strictly in parallel (rather send / return on the analogue amp(?)), to keep certain amount of the pure pre amp signal alive feeding the MAINs, IMHO. Wondering if that is the case in the Rig...

THX, BTW, for your kind answers here!! - besides: Forgive me, but I like digging into this stuff.

Last edited:
This. If FAS paid Steve more than what BAM pays him for his endorsement and royalties of his signature module, you can bet your ass he’d likely change his tune.

The guy has to pay the bills somehow and we all know that record sales and touring alone won’t.

I really don’t think he’s motivated in that way. He’s had every gear company trying to get him to endorse their stuff since the 80’s and there’s nothing with his name on it he hasn’t played a part in designing, the closest that got was when he endorsed Horizon cables in the 90’s….or Boss pedals. He could be with an amp company selling $3000 heads, instead he’s got a $400 module.

He said during the pandemic that the JEM line alone has made him fairly comfortable, add in the fact he’s kept his publishing his entire career and is adamant about ensuring “Steve Vai gets paid more than anyone else for Steve Vai’s ideas” from a business sense, I don’t think he’s leaning on endorsements much these days for income.

Latency creeps up - using a loop or 2, out to a couple of digital pedals + maybe some dsp based monitoring or interface/mixer of some kind and boom, suddenly your at a latency level you can feel when added to latency related to physical distance. So given that, some prefer to just steer as clear as possible away from anything with latency in it however small, just to avoid surprises that can result from accumulated latency.

Back
Top Bottom