v6 made me get my guitar teched.

Inspired
Guys, you'll love this...Basically my guitars have needed some tech attention for a good while, even before I got the Axe. I was getting away with it n'all. With this new v6, the amps sound great but I noticed my guitar [JEM77BRMR] sounded ill. I reckoned something in general just sounds 'wrong' on the fretboard. I tried fixing it but I took it to the luthier in Glasgow today and a re-fret may be possibly in order.
So, v6 for me is so good I can hear not just the character, but every detail on the guitar and I couldn't possibly get away with it anymore. This certainly wasn't noticeable in those pesky VSTs and not even that bad in v5. Pretty amazing.

I am actually getting a new guitar in some months just out of the love for Version 6. Finally getting a Musicman JP12 7 string :D
Ah can't wait!!! Love the Axe FxII,can't imagine my life without it.

People wonder why their favorite axe just doesn't sound the same, after ten years of hard gigging.

Check your frets - move the strings aside and look for visible indentations in the frets where the strings cross. Anything more than a very shallow dip in the fret metal should have you thinking about having the frets dressed, or replaced.

@ BORNintoMUSIC and Razvan. Looks like we're all needing refrets done! Maybe Cliff will include 'auto-refretting' in v7! Unless there are too many requests for an 'auto-groupie' function.
@immortal_soloist. I don't know what type of genres you like [any death/black metal for instance], but the 7 string is a mighty instrument through the Axe!! I find the 7 string to be quite powerful and dark, I don't know whether this is because of the wider neck? But anyway, you should enjoy your 7 string, dude! I find though, the 7 string can have a great effect if a tune is something you can play on a normal guitar, but at some point [maybe in the middle] that low B makes it's appearance out of nowhere and it's quite dramatic and unexpected.
If you were writing heavy stuff with lyrics, that would be the bit where you say what you want to say, y'know ram it home!

Coincidentally enough I had to fix the high "E" slot in the nut on my Telecaster this week.

I thought I just replaced that nut, but it's been 1o years.

Time flies when you're having fun.

Axe sounds much better without the plinky "E"...

It wasn't a fret job my Strat needed, but new pickups. Through any amp, the Texas Specials I had in it sounded too bright and shrill. Through the Axe they really didn't cut it. I especially never liked the bridge pickup sound. When I got the Axe-Fx II, my disdain for the tone drove me to purchase a set of DiMarzio Area pickups. WOW! What a difference. Bridge sounds great through the Axe now, and the "in-between" pickup settings allow me to really nail some great Strat tones.

Hey this is funny! I'm taking my guitar to the Guitar Center tech today as well! All because of the v6 upgrade. Funny! :)

Is GC really going to be your first choice for a solid Guitar Tech??? You may want to check around and find a solid Luthier/tech who has enough confidence to not work at GC. IMHO. It's your guitar.

You might consider a PLEK / A+D Gitarrentechnologie GmbH - Welcome to plek process which is excellent as well. You can find a local qualified facility and go this route if perfection of your entire fretboard is desired.

EDIT - @ BORNintoMUSIC - In CO the closest certified mother PLEKer is in Bellvue, WA - http://www.mikelull.com/repairshop.htm
Killer workmanship..... Want it right? Like your AXE-FX II is? Think twice about handing your precious to some guy at GC. For my money, it is like this: Don't get Teched, get PLEK'ed... LOL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom