V4.01 update caused blank screen and all lights on

tunetown

Just ran through the usual process of firmware updates and this time it didn't complete. Instead of rebooting itself after the sysex was sent it just went blank and all the lights came on. I have a bad feeling my unit has been corrupted. Anyone know what I should try??

Thanks

You could read the firmware txt included ;-)

Here is #7. After the flash has been reprogrammed the unit should automatically reboot. Occasionally the unit may not reboot automatically in which case turn the unit off, wait several seconds and turn back on.

I've done that. The unit still displays blank screen with all lights on. Is there any way to revert the unit to it's previous state or is the eprom dead?

You could read the firmware txt included ;-)

Here is #7. After the flash has been reprogrammed the unit should automatically reboot. Occasionally the unit may not reboot automatically in which case turn the unit off, wait several seconds and turn back on.

The firmwares from 4.01 onward will not reboot automatically. It will just state it is complete and to reboot.

The Aussie distributor is closed till the new year. Do I get an eprom from them or from FAS? Is it easy to replace?

I sent an email to the Aussie Distributor but I guess I'm out of action for weeks. This really sux. I have updated firmware sucessfully since v2 without issues. Why now? I have gigs, sessions booked for the silly season. Back to my amps for now. I'll be really paranoid in future updates. This is not a good start for me considering i've been on amps for some 25 years and this was my first attempt at emulations.

MVC-803S.JPGYeah, I had quite a scare when upgrading from 3.04 to 4.00. Everything went fine until the verification progress bar on the unit froze at what looked like 98%. So I just turned the unit off, waited a few seconds, the turned it back on. Then checked the Utility page and it said,"V4.00", so I'm OK now. About a half-hour later, I went to 4.01. At the end of the process, A screen showed up saying to turn unit off for 5 seconds and turn on. WHEW! What a relief!

I forgot to mention that on Axe-Edit, I had to hit the ABORT button after pwr-cycling the unit on both upgrades.

Last edited:
I sent an email to the Aussie Distributor but I guess I'm out of action for weeks. This really sux. I have updated firmware sucessfully since v2 without issues. Why now? I have gigs, sessions booked for the silly season. Back to my amps for now. I'll be really paranoid in future updates. This is not a good start for me considering i've been on amps for some 25 years and this was my first attempt at emulations.

Hi, this happened to me right before a gig. I tried an update with the USB, after a couple of previously successful updates, and ended up with the same problem.... It think it was my old Dell computer that corrupted the Eprom.. FAS sent me an Eprom Chip with instructions, it was an easy fix... Just be aware that you have to use a Midi Connection from your computer to the Axe FX 2... The Eprom Fix doesn't work with a USB connection...

Thanks guys. Yeh, pretty scary stuff. I've never had these issues before. I guess we live and learn. :) I'll take note not to update whilst in the midst of the work season. Lucky I still have my old trusty amps and pedals to fall back on. I'll wait for a response from the distributor and fix this as I'm sure this new technology is the future. Especially considering my bad back.

By the way, I do enjoy playing with this unit. I have found some very useable sounds.

Oh, and I didn't know the USB was less stable than the MIDI. I will hook it up via MIDI for future updates.

Oh, and I didn't know the USB was less stable than the MIDI. I will hook it up via MIDI for future updates.

I was using the USB and it was fine.. I think the problem was my old Dell computer it was to slow and somehow corrupted the Data while updating the Firmware... I use my Mac now with the USB and it's great...

I recieved a response from Independent music, the Aussie distributor, which is excellent considering they are closed. I will be returning the unit to them for repair. I offered to replace eprom myself but they would prefer to do it. Understandable I guess.

Hopefully wont take too long to get back up and running.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom