V11 - Strange issue with filter block / volume pedal

LPSlinger

Inspired
I use the filter block approach for solo boost.

"Filter block at the end of the grid, set to NullFilter with Level at 4, 5 or 6 dB. CC assigned to the filter (I/O > Ctrl) to foot pedal. "

Last night for no apparent reason, all my go-to patches would automatically jump to boost volume; depressing the foot pedal to toe
position would automatically jump back to boost level; no matter what position the pedal was at!! I opened the level block to see this in action.

To troubleshoot:

hardware:
replaced patch cable with 2 different cables
moved cable to pedal 2 position
replaced "Dunlop" heavy duty pedal with spare Ibanez pedal (both in good working order)

Software:
changed filter to Expression pedal 2 (didn't help)
deleted filter1 and added it again (which worked!)

I'm truly concerned that this will start happening during a gig!! :( Anyone else experience this?

I don't know if its related or not. But, all the patches that I created pre v-11, are fine. gigged out 2x with that firmware, no issues, other than tweaking eq/tones as i expected to. last night, when i created some patches for a gig tomorrow, i noticed almost the opposite effect.

I also run the filter as a boost....for direct i've noted from sound guys whats too much and such and use a 3.0 db boost now for solos for going direct. It seemed when i added the filter to my chain, it didnt have much effect through my headphones...I'll check again tonight, but it may be something related to what your saying.

It seemed when i added the filter to my chain, it didnt have much effect through my headphones...I'll check again tonight, but it may be something related to what your saying.
with 3dB boost you will notice the increase through headphones! I've been actively gigging with my Axe since 2009; never experienced anything like this! I don't want this problem during a show!

Have same boost on many presets.... have rehearsed TWICE with v11 on my Ultra and not noticed this issue. But.... I use an IA on the MFC to turn the block on/off!

UPDATE: Used filter {boost} at rehearsal again last night on numerous presets. NO issues at all.

Last edited:
i have mine set to an exp pedal.....toe down = off, heel down = on with auto engage for the delay/filter/drive blocks.

in my pre 11 presets the change is quite apparent yet, but the ones i just did last night i didnt notice the change as much. I looked at the filter settings for quite a bit and looked for something i didnt set right, but it all looked correct.

i'm revisiting tonight again anyway.

Issue is back! I don't understand why this is happening! Filter solo boost method has worked flawlessly up to V11!!! As a safety net, IA13 is now set up as a global boost, CC11, values 116 - 127.
I want the flexibility of boosting depending on pedal position. Anyone experience this with V11?

Thanks for the update, Kid. Finally enabled the Global boost via IA switch mainly due to this issue with EXTRN 1. Changed the pedal (EXTRN 1) to sweep WAH frequencies, still defaults to highest range (toe position); forcibly changing it via multiple pedal movements eventually stabilizes (in this case disengaging the WAH at heel position). Again, I've grown to rely on this approach, unfortunately it's beginning to dawn on me that this can no longer be the case. :(

1. Are the blocks stored bypassed? (What's their state if you switch to the preset using the value wheel?)

2. Is the pedal beginning value set to "off" on the MFC, either globally or for that preset (if overriding the global setting)? A nonzero value (pedal position irrelevant) or "PDL" (when pedal's not at 0) would cause the filter to engage if the pedal was set to the filter's bypass CC. And for the wah, a different starting value than the current position could also auto-engage it.

If you can save & post them, a preset file plus whatever the MFC sends when the issue occurs (send either MFC out or Axe thru to interface) would make it easier to give a more definite answer about what's happening.

Thanks for the input Bakerman; my issue relates to volume boost via Null Filter / EXTRN1, starting at 50, 55 and 65% level increases automatically "jumping" to 65% (toe position).
Calibrated the pedal as a next step. Didn't have a chance for a full run through.. but seems promising. I'll post update tomorrow.

I didn't think to check the MFC values, great suggestion! The funny thing, my setup was working just fine before V11.

Last edited:
Is the pedal connected to the Axe-FX pedal 1 or 2 jack? I realized you didn't actually mention the MFC, so disregard question 2 above if no MFC. Along with a preset file, some other info would be helpful: how many items (and which ones) in the Axe I/O menu are set to the pedal? Just an external, or block bypass items (like filter & wah) too?

This issue is affecting all presets with filter block boost across the board, for this reason I'm thinking it may be a calibration issue. Pedal is connected to pedal 1 on MFC.
I just remembered something, I'm also using the pedal to activate a PEQ block (bypassed by default), toe position active. This is just for 1 preset.. but I wonder..

Back
Top Bottom