V10 - don't know what to think yet

... all the mid and higher gain amps that I used to like a lot seem to have lost their clarity now and became quite muddy and boomy on the low end. I've tried dialing it out with the Global EQ ...

Global EQ and other post amp bass cut methods will do just that - cut bass, make it thinner, etc.
Cutting some bass before the amp means that there's less total gain in the bass freqs... i.e. tighter, clearer.
High gain amps compress the holy shitballs out of the signal and that compression will give you back the output level (fullness) of the bass frequencies even if you cut some going in.

Also - like others said: depth control.

In my experience, whenever an amp seems to have too much low end (or bass just isn't tight enough), I simply just increase the lo cut in the amp block. Anywhere from 120hz to 400hz depending on what amp and cab I'm using.

I rarely have to mess with drive blocks, PEQs, or filters. Increase lo cut in amp block...then boom, instant satisfaction and a more organic tone than if were to use something else to achieve the same effect.

In my experience, whenever an amp seems to have too much low end (or bass just isn't tight enough), I simply just increase the lo cut in the amp block. Anywhere from 120hz to 400hz depending on what amp and cab I'm using.

I rarely have to mess with drive blocks, PEQs, or filters. Increase lo cut in amp block...then boom, instant satisfaction and a more organic tone than if were to use something else to achieve the same effect.

Thanks for this tip about the low cut in the amp block. I've been using an EQ later in the FX chain to cut the low end. I'll try this out later.

I am still on the fence with v10, but I expected that since I am starting from scratch and have to find my way back to the ideal sound. I did notice improvement by resetting the amp and tweaking from there. The entire chain will be revisited for optimum performance and it will take some time. You are lucky if your journey is short but armed with the knowledge of how parameters affect the sound I am hoping it will not be long.

Thank you for chiming in guys, and especially thanks to Cliff for correcting my sloppy writing - my English is not that good yet, sorry.
What I wanted to say, and said in my similar topic in the Bugs section is that V10 seems much harder to dial in and not as much out of the box as the previous firmwares were. This is the case for me, and maybe Cliff is right and I'm doing something wrong.
Everything is set up as it should be (guitars, speakers, etc.), so it could be that I simply became too lazy with tweaking and is still too used to V9.
dkijc also hit the nail on it's head - I didn't even think about this before. I moved away from tube amps quite some time ago and maybe forgot how muddy my LP is - this is actually proving how accurate MIMIC is.
I didn't want to offend anyone, especially Cliff. I didn't want to make a consensus neither. I just wanted to express what I feel right now, and also wanted to get some opinions and ideas - now I have a few, so really thank you guys :)

You know, with my Les Paul I pulled some of the screws on the pickups (that is, I pulled them out completely) and flipped my neck pickup around and I get much more useable tones with it now. While I had pulled all screws (sounded like a beefy Tele), I have since put all but the last two on the bass side/neck pickup back in and now just adjust input gain and impedance when I want to reduce mud. Having the two screws out of the bass side of the neck pickup allows me to get a nice woody tone without all the mud. I use stock pickups, though, so maybe you have something different.

For those who are "on the fence", there are many paths to take, but the two obvious are:

1. Install v10 with the new v10 presets. This will establish the correct foundation. You can write down the essential ingredients from your earlier presets and adjust them in v10.

2. Stay on your current version and presets. If "you" feel you like it better, so be it.

Last edited:
Thank you for all your advices guys.
I had more time to spend with my Axe II today and my jaw has finally officially dropped so low that I can't pick it up.
I found out a few things about V10 that might be worth to notice for people who are struggling with it:
1. The "mud" can be super easily dialed out with the Air and Room parameters in the Cab block, and now everything I thought was muddy sounds super uber mega holy shitballs cool!
2. For some reason I didn't notice that my output levels were quite a lot lower than what I was used to in V9, I turned it up and it immediately got a whole lot better.
3. I've found my BEST lead tone ever with the Legacy today, sustaining as long as I hold it, frequency nirvana, gain nirvana, tonal armageddon. My conclusion of discovering this is that the factory patches should never even be considered if you are really after a serious tone, because they can be very far from what you can achieve with tweaking.
4. V10 definitely needs more tweaking if you are used to V9 because everything that needed little adjustments needs quite radical changes now.
5. The new cabs are great but we shouldn't forget about the old cabs neither because they still sound fabulous and I think that many people who are struggling should change back to the old cabs from the new ones - the new cabs require absolutely different dialing in on the amp side of things, too, and could be hard to dial in correctly for the first time.

So yeah, as always, Cliff was right, I was doing things wrong, and now I'm absolutely stunned and satisfied with V10! :)

As allways: tweak with your ears, not your eyes. Some amps require zero bass and depth, as Thomas kind of said ^

Yes, the plexis act like plexis which can be some extreme eq settings. I have the 1987x set jst like my real 1987.

On the speaker tab of amp block the high frequency seems lower on some amp models.

By resetting that freq to my V9 setting and adding dyn pres and reducing dyn depth, I have my V9 tones with V10 benefits.

Back
Top Bottom