V10.02 hangs?

Earlier today I upgraded my Axe to V10.02 and put V2.16 on my MFC. Following the upgrades, I have had three occurrences where the Axe randomly hung/froze in an unresponsive state. Each hang occurred while I was playing (not touching Axe or MFC) and each required a power cycle of the Axe to correct. The first time I had a USB cable plugged into my MacBook, so I assumed that was the culprit. But the last two times it was just the Axe connected to MFC, guitar and XLR output. (No USB.) And after the second freeze I did a system parameter reset on the Axe. I was previously running V10.0 and V2.15. Oh... one more detail, I previously loaded V10 presets immediately following the upgrade to V10.00 firmware. At least one freeze occurred using preset #20 (Shiver Lead) with compressor, flanger and multi-tap delay active. I don't recall which other presets hung. Has anyone else experienced this? Any recommendations?

Last edited:
i had also multiple freezes with 10.02 while connected with USB. (i had them with FW 10.00 and FW 9.00 also). Axe just freezes up, no response.

Chris, thanks for responding. (I modified the original post to add detail.) The hangs were random and occurred while I was playing...not touching the Axe or MFC. I do not know what the CPU usage was at the time. I will try to recreate the hang to see if I can capture more information.

Please let us know whether you're using Axe-Edit, or whether you used it previously to create the presets which are freezing.

Also, whether you have user cabs in your Axe-Fx, and if so, what software you used to get them there.

Thanks,

Guys, this sounds related to another topic I mistakenly started outside the Bugs section. I suppose it should be moved/merged if appropriate....
http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/68457-intermittent-crash-when-usb-connected.html

Matt, short story is that my freezes have happened on a completely wiped system using a variety of stock presets. MFC not connected, no Axe-Edit involvement (other than using Axe-Manage for the initial v10 factory bank load when I first loaded v10.0), and no user cabs are currently in my Axe-Fx. I've only had crashes when USB was connected.

Should I try reloading the banks using Fractal Bot instead of Axe-Manage? Let me know if there's anything else I should try.

I had my first axe hang yesterday. Complele freeze. I was using one of fremen bank presets loaded from Axe-Edit.

Please let us know whether you're using Axe-Edit, or whether you used it previously to create the presets which are freezing.

Also, whether you have user cabs in your Axe-Fx, and if so, what software you used to get them there.

Thanks,
Thanks for following up. Here are the details as best as I can remember them:
- Using Fractal-Bot, I upgraded the Axe-Fx II to v10.0 shortly after it was released
- Using Axe-Edit Beta 1.9 I loaded all v10 presets, one bank at a time
- My MFC was already loaded with v2.15 at that time
... all was well.

Then over the weekend...
- Using Fractal-Bot, I upgraded the Axe to v10.02 and MFC to 2.16.
- Axe-Edit was not used to create or modify any presets
- I am using the stock Fractal cabs... there are no user defined or third party cabs loaded

The crashes...
- Crash #1 - USB was connected to play audio via the Axe-Fx II, but Axe-Edit was not running. I initially assumed the USB connection contributed to the crash.
- Crash #2 and #3 - no USB cable was connected to the Axe-Fx II.
- MFC running v2.16 was connected via ethernet at the time of all three crashes.

Let me know if I can provide more information. Thanks again!

@suhr_rodney - do you have an original or Mk2 Axe-II ? MK2 has Ethercon port on back.

I had my first axe hang yesterday. Complele freeze. I was using one of fremen bank presets loaded from Axe-Edit.

I had my first one too - I had just updated to 10.02 using Bot 1.1 - I had just the stock factory v10 banks loaded and was noodling happily using headphones for maybe 15 mins on an un-edited factory preset 'Rainy Nights' I think? Then leds froze just below the yellows - screen blank and 3 seconds later a dwindling fart noise (first from the Axe - then secondly from me!).

I did still have the USB connected to the laptop - but not with Axe-Edit loaded (have never even used AE 1.9 yet). Bot 1.1 was possibly still open - can't remember. No other devices connected.

I pulled the USB out and rebooted - no further problems after playing another 30 mins or so using the previous preset and a few others. I did a system reset just for good measure after 10 mins or so during that 30 mins.

I turned it on earlier this evening, changed to the #16 Euro Blue factory preset, and played for a few minutes. I might have turned the drive block on/off and tweaked the drive level on the amp. It didn't crash, so I left it on and went out to dinner. Just came back from dinner to a blank screen lockup. This is with it hooked up to USB.

Just a thought....Could the intermittent/unpredictable nature of these crashes be due to dirty AC or some noise getting into the USB line?

Add me to the list of crashes. :(

I just updated to 10.02 and 2.16. After playing for only 10 minutes on the stock "Recto Modern" preset #15, AxeFx2 suddenly froze with no sound. Totally unresponsive and needed a power cycle.
No Axe Edit, but AxeFx2 was connected to the PC via USB at the time.

I was previously running 10.00 and 2.15 and had never crashed.

Add me to the list with v10.02. It has happened twice since upgrade a few days ago- I am connected via USB. I will post more info when it happens again.

I just reproduced this- I was playing preset 37 (Das Metal). I edited the preset through front of unit and turned on the Multitap delay. I edited it, but did not save it. I was then playing along to "Amazing Slow Downer" and "Reaper" applications. After about 40 minutes, sound cut out and unit froze.

Yesterday I was using the new beta version of Axe-Edit and I think the CPU percentage was above 80 for this same patch and multitap delay turned on.

Question for the Fractal team... Has anyone at Fractal been able to reproduce these crashes, and therefore hopefully more able to pinpoint root cause? If not, is there anything else we can do to provide more useful info?

Just a thought... I think I live close to Adam Cook (assuming the location in his profile is current), so I could easily give him my AxeFx for several days if it might help them isolate the problem.

Back
Top Bottom