Utility of tone match?

Jr125

Hi, I'm interested in buying an AX8 however I'm not sure if tone match is something I would use or enjoy. It seems like the only feature in the Axe II that I might use that isn't in the AX8.

I'm curious for some insight from people who use tone match as to what they use it for and how it compares to the amp models. Do any of you use it almost exclusively or find it more useful than the amp models?

I'm sure it's a great feature, just not sure if it's something I personally need or want.

Thanks

I'm curious for some insight from people who use tone match as to what they use it for and how it compares to the amp models.
Tone Match uses the same amp models that your own presets use.

Tone Match uses the same amp models that your own presets use.

So it's essentially just dialling in the amp to best match what it is trying to match, or is there a bit more going on?

Does that mean you can get any tone match tone with enough effort by just taking enough time dialling in the models?

So it's essentially just dialling in the amp to best match what it is trying to match, or is there a bit more going on?

Does that mean you can get any tone match tone with enough effort by just taking enough time dialling in the models?
The Tone Match block is essentially a very detailed EQ that matches the voicing of a tone from another source. You still need to match the gain structure by hand, using an amp model.

Hi, I'm interested in buying an AX8 however I'm not sure if tone match is something I would use or enjoy. It seems like the only feature in the Axe II that I might use that isn't in the AX8.

I'm curious for some insight from people who use tone match as to what they use it for and how it compares to the amp models. Do any of you use it almost exclusively or find it more useful than the amp models?

I'm sure it's a great feature, just not sure if it's something I personally need or want.

Thanks

I have a II and an AXE8. I personally never use tone match. I might use it if there was some tone essential to a song and I couldn't figure out how to get close to. Usually that is pretty easy though. When reviewing shared presets, I also have never liked any of the ones that have a Tone Match block.

I play my II at home and the AX8 out. The AX8 is great and what I use live because the portability. It does have the following deficits to the II:
- slower preset switching (discernable lag)
- memory limits on how many effects you can put in a patch (especially reverb)
- a bit more difficult foot switching than a II with an MFC
- I think the II sounds a little better (but I am alone in that opinion)
- A few more glitches than I have seen with the II or my prior Ultra (things like the unit display shifting from a stompbox view to a preset list view midsong. This happens very rarely).

Unless you have roadies, very effect-heavy presets and Tone Match is important to you, I recommend the AX8. It sounds great, which I consistently get told at gigs.

Hi, I'm interested in buying an AX8 however I'm not sure if tone match is something I would use or enjoy.

About tone match:
1) I never really got it to work properly. The matched tone I end up with has almost always little to do with the reference sound (but hey, I may be doing it wrong), and
2) I never really have big problems getting close to a reference sound just by tweaking the amp/cab/drive blocks without using TM

So, in my opinion, no, tone match is not something you may sorely miss should you choose the AX8. There are things that you may miss way more, like multiple amp/cab blocks or CPU power for example.

But that is me. Your mileage may vary.

Back
Top Bottom