Using the OM9 is there a way when you hit presets and then select a preset that after the selection in turns into scene mode?

johnnyspys

Inspired
Using the OM9 is there a way when you hit presets and then select a preset that after the selection it turns into scene mode? Right now I have to hit Presets, then select the song(preset), then go back and hit the scenes button and then hit the scene from the preset that I want. I would love it if I could hit the presets button, find the preset I want, select the preset, and then it immediately goes to the scene selection mode of that preset. I am sure this can be done but I haven't found out how to modify OM9.

I have the FM3, FC-6, latest version of the editing software and firmware for the FM3
Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited:
Ok remember I am a noob. I will need a little more info. I will look it up in the manual but on more than one occasion I thought I had the hang of something and got it just so slightly wrong. :)
Cool. Look it up in the manual, and post here if you have questions about what you read.

Cool. Look it up in the manual, and post here if you have questions about what you read.
One thing you could help answer while I look it up is before I loaded the OM9 I made some of my own setups and they worked great but as soon as I unplugged the FM3 from the computer, shut it down, and packed it for practice, what I had created didn't save and didn't look the same until I plugged the unit again into the editing software and recalled the controller setup I saved. The manual is really fuzzy to me on this point, mostly because there is so much flexibility that I know I am missing something. I just wish you could save more than 9 layouts...and if you can I wish I knew how to do that. :). Back to the manual.

One thing you could help answer while I look it up...
I'll try to answer, but first I need to understand the question. :)

...before I loaded the OM9 I made some of my own setups...
What's a setup?

...as soon as I unplugged the FM3 from the computer, shut it down, and packed it for practice, what I had created didn't save and didn't look the same until I plugged the unit again into the editing software and recalled the controller setup I saved.
How do you recall a controller setup? Sorry, I don't know what you mean.

I just wish you could save more than 9 layouts...and if you can I wish I knew how to do that. :).
There are nine layouts. That's it.

I have all of this working and only need 4 layouts:

0718212309a_HDR.jpg

You can do a lot with a little if you dig into that manual a bit. Read the bit on Layout Links for your immediate problem. They let you define a change of layout that fires as soon as the primary switch action completes. I use them for exactly what you want - to select my Scenes layout when choosing a Preset....

Last edited:
Using the OM9 is there a way when you hit presets and then select a preset that after the selection it turns into scene mode? Right now I have to hit Presets, then select the song(preset), then go back and hit the scenes button and then hit the scene from the preset that I want. I would love it if I could hit the presets button, find the preset I want, select the preset, and then it immediately goes to the scene selection mode of that preset. I am sure this can be done but I haven't found out how to modify OM9.

I have the FM3, FC-6, latest version of the editing software and firmware for the FM3
Thanks ahead of time.
How did you make out? Still need help or under control?

I have all of this working and only need 4 layouts:

0718212309a_HDR.jpg

You can do a lot with a little if you dig into that manual a bit. Read the bit on Layout Links for your immediate problem. They let you define a change of layout that fires as soon as the primary switch action completes. I use them for exactly what you want - to select my Scenes layout when choosing a Preset....
Ditto.

Ok I read the manual and sort of figured it out. However, I would say the manual wasn't really that helpful....I more used logic and looked at a few other examples and copied the fundamental ideas and made it work. The manual mentions layout links but I think it is impractical to provide every variation possible so I would say the manual is a starting point. However, it would be great if someone created several how to examples when it comes to using the controllers because they are super powerful and tweak-able but I am worried once I figure something out, when the next update comes out I will have forgotten how to do it. :)

So for noobs like me in the future that look at this thread and I provide an answer that I will update once everything is 100%. Ok so how did I do this switch so that when I am on the presets screen and on my FC-6 I see the names of the songs (presets), I select one and then it immediately switches to scene mode? I opened FM3 edit, selected controllers and then selected the first scene. I then hit layout links and changed FC#1to Layout 2 and that seemed to do the trick for at least one preset. I then rebooted and everything seemed to work. However when I switched presets that function is gone so I need to further investigate how to make the adjustments permanent.

So here are a few questions followed by how I did it to see A) if there is a better way;
First question. (I hope I am wrong in the following question). Why is there not a screen on FM3 edit that allows a user to see and select what layout starts up when you boot the FM3? There seems to be certain functionality things like "update presets to new version" that are only available on the hardware side and not software. I am sure there are things that just can't be done via edit but this system is so tweak able that I think that is both a strength and a weakness (I see it as a strength most of the time).

Second question: Is there a way we could create preset folders so that within the self selected presets (folders maybe the wrong term so perhaps highlighting using various colors) I could over ride all my presets in terms of say the Friedman Volumes or Clean Shiva volumes? I have found in certain situations the crunch guitar is too loud and in other it is too quiet compared to the clean channel. Instead of having to go through all the presets and manual change the volumes and then save, it seems it would be very useful for my setlist bank if I could like on a pedal board, turn all the similar amp settings universally in a designated setlist (hence why I used the term folder) to turn up or down certain parameters universally from the FM3 for live situations. Again, I suspect there is a trick to this but I don't know it yet.

Third Question: Is there a way to have a global performance control parameter for delays mix for example where it over rides scene controller settings universally such that if one preset is at 50 and another is at 25% if I think I need everything to be 10% more or less wet (mix) I can dial the controller up or down by a percentage and all my presets are compensated.....without having to do this manually when I switch the preset?

First question. (I hope I am wrong in the following question). Why is there not a screen on FM3 edit that allows a user to see and select what layout starts up when you boot the FM3?
It's there. You just haven't found it yet. Setup > FC Controllers > Devices > Startup Layout.

Second question: Is there a way we could create preset folders so that within the self selected presets (folders maybe the wrong term so perhaps highlighting using various colors) I could over ride all my presets in terms of say the Friedman Volumes or Clean Shiva volumes? I have found in certain situations the crunch guitar is too loud and in other it is too quiet compared to the clean channel. Instead of having to go through all the presets and manual change the volumes and then save, it seems it would be very useful for my setlist bank if I could like on a pedal board, turn all the similar amp settings universally in a designated setlist (hence why I used the term folder) to turn up or down certain parameters universally from the FM3 for live situations. Again, I suspect there is a trick to this but I don't know it yet.
You want a way to to adjust a parameter across all resets in a group of presets that you select, right? There's not a way to do that.

Third Question: Is there a way to have a global performance control parameter for delays mix for example where it over rides scene controller settings universally such that if one preset is at 50 and another is at 25% if I think I need everything to be 10% more or less wet (mix) I can dial the controller up or down by a percentage and all my presets are compensated.....without having to do this manually when I switch the preset?
1628713920760.png

I'm not at my Axe, but I'm pretty sure there are two global mix settings, maybe for reverb and delay maybe.

I think you have to set each block you want to honor it to do that. There may also be a master switch for it.

It's intended for just what you're thinking about I think, really reverberant rooms vs not.

Last edited:
I'm not at my Axe, but I'm pretty sure there are two global mix settings, maybe for reverb and delay maybe.

I think you have to set each block you want to honor it to do that. There may also be a master switch for it.

It's intended for just what you're thinking about I think, really echo-y rooms vs not.
Correct on all counts.

I have to say this right now. I heard nothing but bad things about the fractal forums....however, my experience is extremely different. Everyone I have encountered so far has been very supportive and I really appreciate it. I hope to continue the positive vibes answering future user's questions. Again thank you all!

I have to say this right now. I heard nothing but bad things about the fractal forums....however, my experience is extremely different. Everyone I have encountered so far has been very supportive and I really appreciate it. I hope to continue the positive vibes answering future user's questions. Again thank you all!
I totally agree. The Fractal forum is a welcoming place with an exceptionally high knowledge-to-bullshit ratio. A big part of that is people like you who come here with questions, gain knowledge, and then want to give back. Bravo!

There are two kinds of people who badmouth the forum: people with agendas, and people who are just parroting what they heard. Oh, and there's one more kind: people who just love to fight, and always seem to get into scuffles. You know the ones. ;)

Back
Top Bottom