Using the looper for acoustic to adjust levels

Justinl21

Hi all,
This might be an actual, legit dumb question. 🤪

I’m trying to set up the mixer on my EV evolve 50m system. Mostly, trying to get a good acoustic tone by going straight into the mixer with no pedals/fm3 being used. I’m wondering if I made a patch with just shunts and a looper, how much is the fm3 coloring the sound? I’m new at running sound, and just trying to get it most of the way set up so I have very little adjustments to make at shows.

Thanks. 🙂

If your asking not about the looper but FM3 coloring the sound, theoretically if it’s set flat it shouldn’t color the tone. I occasionally run my acoustic through it but add reverb and some eq to my liking. And I have some acoustic IR’s that I grabbed here on the forum. So I run a cab block too.

I tried to use the fm3 for acoustic duo shows and just felt like I was fighting it. I’m sure it’s my presets, but I’m trying to use as little gear as possible. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my FM3.

1) Why use shunts at all? What will they do for you?

2) No, your FM3 won’t color the sound.

3) Try it, and see for yourself. It’ll take one minute to build the preset. You can do the whole test in less time than it takes to compose a response to this message. ;)

Actually, setting everything up at my house right now is gonna take quite a bit of time. Thought I’d see what people think before I dig everything out. Long story.

The reason to use shunts is so the signal goes from input 1 to output 1. Am I missing something?

Actually, setting everything up at my house right now is gonna take quite a bit of time. Thought I’d see what people think before I dig everything out. Long story.

The reason to use shunts is so the signal goes from input 1 to output 1. Am I missing something?
Shunts cross empty blocks. There's no need to use empty blocks. You need input-looper-output, so three blocks in a row, no empty blocks or shunts required.

As other already said, you could greatly benefit if you put also a parametric eq block, and a reverb.
If you want to do an experiment, you could try the preset named "PCM 70 hall" just to hear the FM# reverb capabilities. remove amp and cab blocks, keep only the effect.
I regularly use the FM3 with the acoustic, and there's a lot of blocks useful, not just the looper.

you can also add an IR via a cab block to enhance your acoustic tone, but the thing is a bit more complex, since most acoustic IRs won't sound good (not that they're bad, but they're generic ones, and unless you have the same guitar and pickup used to create them, they won't be good). The best way to use one is to create a custom one, not too difficult, but a lot more to make a good sounding one that won't send you to feedback hell live.

Back
Top Bottom