Using the Axe-FX in a "virtual Pedalboard" scenario

mDaniel

Inspired
Hey guys,

forgive me if a thread like this already exists (I'm quite sure it does, just don't know what to search). I recently picked up an Axe II (more than a year passed since I last checked it) to see how the FW changes improved the unit - and I'm very amazed tbh. I wanted to use it for FX only with my amps but I guess I'll be using it with the virtual amps into a power amp.

In the KPA you can somehow lock the FX and just switch the amps - any way to do this with the Axe as well? I never really got what these "scenes" are all about, that might be a point where I start looking? I know the X/Y stuff but I'd be happy with 3-4 amps (well... probably I'll go with a Fender and a Jcm800 with 3 gain/EQ settings).

Where should I start looking :)?

Thanks in advance!
Dan

No need to lock the FX in the Axe-Fx. They're already "locked:" nothing changes in your preset unless you tell it to change.

What you're looking for is a way to change the amp models (I'm assuming you want to change them on the fly in a live situation. So drop two amp blocks into your preset. Set up different amp models in the X and Y of each amp block. That gives you four amps to work with. Now you can choose which amp you want to play by choosing which amp block is bypassed and which is active, and whether the active amp is in its X or Y mode.

Now all you need is a foot controller that can send multiple MIDI messages with one pedal press. Program a switch to bypass the amp block you don't want, unbypass the amp you want, and send the appropriate X or Y signal for the amp model you want.

What Rex writes.

Or use Scenes plus X/Y.

You switch through scenes using the "A" knob on the front panel (or MIDI).

Use two Amp blocks in parallel. While the Amp block selected, press X/Y to switch between X and Y.
Select an Amp Type in Amp 1 X, Amp 1 Y, Amp 2 X and Amp 2 Y.
Set Bypass mode of each amp block (X and Y) to Mute.

In scene 1: set Amp 1 to X and engage, set Amp 2 to X and bypass.
In scene 2: set Amp 1 to X and bypass, set Amp 2 to X and engage.
In scene 1: set Amp 1 to Y and engage, set Amp 2 to Y and bypass.
In scene 1: set Amp 1 to Y and bypass, set Amp 2 to Y and engage.

Keep all other effects the same (X/Y state and bypass state) across these four scenes.

You can now switch between 4 scenes and have only the amp changed.

(the following part has been edited:)
Now, say you engaged a chorus after switching to scene 1, switch to another scene abnd then come back to scene 1.
What happens with that chorus you engaged earlier?
If you want it still engaged when returning to scene 1, you need to have the param. Scene Revert in I/O set to OFF.
If you want that chorus to revert to its stored state (which was off), set Scene Revert to ON.

Last edited:
Now, say you have engaged a chorus in scene 1 and want to chorus to stay engaged when switching to scene 2 ("carry over state").
For this you need to have the parat. Scene Revert in I/O set to OFF.
If you want that chorus to revert to its stored state when switching scenes, set Scene Revert to ON.

Nope. revert off means, that on RECALL the scene (1) will have the states when leaving it. So Chorus will be on here. switching to scene 2 -> chorus will be off, because this is the saved state of the scene,...

In short: Scenes method will not work to represent the "lock" function of tha KPA.

(sorry for german)
mDaniel: Hau zwei Amp-Blöcke parallel ins Preset. bypass mute=off. Mit X/Y und toggle zwischen Amp1 und 2 kannst Du zwischen 4 Amps im selben Preset, selbe Scene schalten. Das kommt der locking Funktion am nächsten.

Andere Möglichkeit: Alle Effekte mit Modifier im bypass versehen und dort PC RST = OFF. Also über externel controller im Modifier steuern, Program change reset = off heisst: Wenn Du ein "Master Template" nutzt, dass immer gleich aufgebaut ist, mit den selben effekten, bleiben die bei Preset wechsel im Effekt-Status identisch, weil der Modifier Preset-übergreifend den Status steuert.
PS: Hast Du den KPA noch? Hatte den bei 2.5 oder 2.6 hier. Hatte immer einen kleinen GAP im Bass und so eine fizziniss im top-End, was ich ihm nicht austreiben konnte beim profilen ... war aber "nit-picking". Tolles Gerät ... wenn die beiden Kritikpunkte nicht wären, wärs perfekt - für das was es verspricht.
:)

Last edited:
Nope. revert off means, that on RECALL the scene (1) will have the states when leaving it. So Chorus will be on here. switching to scene 2 -> chorus will be off, because this is the saved state of the scene,...

Yes, you're right. I was describing an often requested but not fullfilled feature (carry over states).
I edited the text.

"carry over states" is fullfilled, when using Modifiers/Externals (with PC RST = OFF) for bypass/engage, instead of the Block-#CC entrys in the CTRL menu. This way i used my Standard with the FCB1010 years ago ...

(ok, will not work with MFC bidirectional = Axe-Fx Mode...)

This situation you describe is how I use my preset(s) live as well. I made a wish list request to address what you need. I called it "scene ignore". Thread here. Give it some love, maybe it will get noticed. It seems like an good request to add more flexibility that wouldn't affect anyone who didn't want it. The only other way to do this behavior is to have global IA switches and use presets only, and not scenes for switching core amp sounds. I don't prefer that because I like to browse other presets and still have some MFC fluidity on those other presets if that makes sense. So for now, it's tap dancing for me :) but that's okay. I still love my setup.

Back
Top Bottom