Using the Axe-Fx II ONLY for cab sim?

PeteLaramee

I want to try my modded marshall into my 2notes captor and use the cab sim in the axe fx 2. I've tried the 2 notes wall of sound and am having trouble with my mooer radar so I want to try the cab sim in my axe 2. How would I set this up in the axe? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Is that ALL you're using the preset for? Easy.

Line-out from the 2notes (with no cab IR or anything else, so basically your direct marshall tone) into input2 of the axe, out2 goes to your recording interface. Grid goes RTN>CAB>FXL>SND, all out in the middle of the grid not touching the main in/out at the far left/right.

Stole this image from Bakerman who I believe drew it up when he was helping me understand the same concept. At the time I was figuring out how to set my axe2 up so that I could run my full preset for my own tone, but also add in a cab block that would take the direct-out from my buddie's Mesa MKiV and run it through a cab-block for recording. I've since decided to just run the amp tone via line-out (from both my amp block AND his whole tube rig) direct into the recording interface/DAW and then apply cab IR's after the fact via CabLab plugin.

Here's a link to that thread as well: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/can-i-do-this-possibly-complex-preset-help.136581/
CUxT4EF.png

i've used mine by just plugging the "effects out" on the amp to the front input of the axe fx. i then just plug strait into the amp. the output on the axe fx goes to my interface and voila! i can then use IRs on any of my amp heads to record. and of coarse I have the amps plugged into a cab for the load as well.

Is that ALL you're using the preset for? Easy.

Line-out from the 2notes (with no cab IR or anything else, so basically your direct marshall tone) into input2 of the axe, out2 goes to your recording interface. Grid goes RTN>CAB>FXL>SND, all out in the middle of the grid not touching the main in/out at the far left/right.

Stole this image from Bakerman who I believe drew it up when he was helping me understand the same concept. At the time I was figuring out how to set my axe2 up so that I could run my full preset for my own tone, but also add in a cab block that would take the direct-out from my buddie's Mesa MKiV and run it through a cab-block for recording. I've since decided to just run the amp tone via line-out (from both my amp block AND his whole tube rig) direct into the recording interface/DAW and then apply cab IR's after the fact via CabLab plugin.

Here's a link to that thread as well: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/can-i-do-this-possibly-complex-preset-help.136581/
CUxT4EF.png
Yea - I'm not getting this to work. What am I missing? What do I have the Output 2 set to in the I/O screen? Is your chain out of order? And/Or Is there a missing FXL in your diagram?

I want to try my modded marshall into my 2notes captor and use the cab sim in the axe fx 2. I've tried the 2 notes wall of sound and am having trouble with my mooer radar so I want to try the cab sim in my axe 2. How would I set this up in the axe? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Since over 2 years i have mainly using my Axe Fx II this way. I use a Suhr Reactive Load and it goes directly to the back input 1.

From there the signal i work it as i do it with my studio gear and plugins, but with whats available with in the Axe fX.

I have presets dialed for amp only and presets set with "in a mix" sound that don't sound that good alone.

Yea - I'm not getting this to work. What am I missing? What do I have the Output 2 set to in the I/O screen? Is your chain out of order? And/Or Is there a missing FXL in your diagram?

The FXLoop is in there & there's only one loop available, so not sure what you mean by it being missing. I think I have out2 set to Sum L+R or copy L>R, can't remember, whatever it is I just use a single mono cable from the L output. I think your chain would be this for the setup I described... If its not working I would check your pan & level settings for each block, make sure nothing is bypassed, and make sure you're using the Send/Return blocks correctly...can't remember if I had to change any settings from default, but I think I did on the return?

Guitar > Marshall > Captor > Axe-In2 > [RTN > CAB > FXL > SND] > Axe-Out2 > Interface > DAW

http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2...ock#Routing_a_signal_from_Input_2_to_Output_2 Here's a link to the Wiki describing the concept step by step.

Since over 2 years i have mainly using my Axe Fx II this way. I use a Suhr Reactive Load and it goes directly to the back input 1.

From there the signal i work it as i do it with my studio gear and plugins, but with whats available with in the Axe fX.

I have presets dialed for amp only and presets set with "in a mix" sound that don't sound that good alone.

I guess I probably should have kept it simple like that for him. I go straight to in/out2 for stuff like this because I always have need to plug my guitar into the front and still utilize a regular preset in addition to whatever crazyness like this is going on. So to the OP: this method will definitely be easier. Like he said, just plug the output from your Captor (or the Marshall FX-Send if you aren't using the loop and don't care about capturing the power amp flavor) into input1 on the back, then just stick a cab block in the middle of the grid, connect to the main in/out blocks and set your levels to taste.

Also should have mentioned...just in case...make sure you don't plug any poweramp/speaker output into the axefx...line or instrument level only.

I got it to work. I just plugged the captor out in to the front of the axe with only a gate and cab in the chain. I didn't try this before because I figured there would be a level issue. I'm a little embarrassed. :D I couldn't get it to work using the input 1 or input 2. It must be because of some of my I/O settings!?!?

Thanks to everyone for the help.

Could be. I'm heading to the practice space tonight, so I'll actually be able to look through my settings and see how I'm doing it.

I don't think the front panel input would have any negative effect, I just wasn't sure about using it since its specifically designed for instrument. The rear input1 should work the exact same though, funny that it wouldn't work. The only real advantage to using the loop and doing it the way I described is that it frees up the axe to still let you run a guitar into the front and use the amp block & all that. So if you don't need that sort of flexibility, there's no real reason to mess with it. That said, I'm happy to take pictures of my I/O settings and the grid and block settings and all that, or upload you a preset that I know works. Just haven't been able to so far because I haven't been back to the rehearsal space where the axe lives.

Where's your rehearsal space? I lived in Raleigh for 3 years, but that was 20+ years ago. I remember jamming in a space, but don't remember the name.

Where's your rehearsal space? I lived in Raleigh for 3 years, but that was 20+ years ago. I remember jamming in a space, but don't remember the name.
It's an Ample Storage unit off Capital Blvd. Most of the actual "practice spaces" type spots have been gone for a while as far as I know.

Also I 100% forgot to do anything I said I was going. Definitely my bad.

That's cool. I have it working now so I'm good.

I actually used to live off Capital Blvd near the Foxy Lady (which has since closed or burned down or so I've heard). That place was infamous at the time. :D

Back
Top Bottom