Using the Axe for vocals

Obviously this is for studio use and not live, but I'm curious if anyone has used the Axe for vocal work?

I'd like to try to use the compression, pitch (for harmony), eq, and some of the amps, like the TubePre for creating tube warmth. I really like the A/D converters on the Axe.

Also, the reverb in the Axe is, quite simply, the best reverb I've ever heard, and I've been around the block a little, e.g. Briscati, Lexicon, Eventide.

I assume I'll need to turn off any cab block.

Just wondering if there's any tips or tricks from anyone else.

I do. What specifically would you like to know?

Although I use it for live, not for studio. I don't know what's so obvious about your use case as opposed to mine?

Generally, in the studio, the wealth of effects available is huge, you have all the plugins in the world without limits. And you don't have to worry about latency, can spend as much time as you like processing it, double tracking etc. etc.

If you want hardware outboard gear, that usually is about analog preamps, compressors, tube saturation, reel recorders, stuff that colors the sound in a specific way, which, if you have the money for all the toys and knowledge to apply them when they suit a purpose best, can go a long way, and you can't emulate that in Axe FX. Using outboard for just reverbs? Dunno.

Last edited:
Interesting. I have not thought of this. Do you just plug the mic into the front instrument input? What would a simple patch look like?

Interesting. I have not thought of this. Do you just plug the mic into the front instrument input? What would a simple patch look like?

No, if you check my signature, it lists the equipment I have. I use a MOTU sound card as a monitor mixer and a mic preamp.

It's not anything stellar but gets the job done. Some people say that you can do away with just Axe, using Tube Pre, it'll amplify the signal just fine. I haven't tried it as I use my Axe for both guitar and vocal processing, in a single preset, and I usually use two amp blocks. And the routing gets tight and awkward as it is, I'm really hitting the wall in terms of Axe's limits all the time. So I sort of keep it minimal.

Basically, I have a compressor block, a Pitch block (for harmonies/detune), sometimes a filter/EQ, and that's about it. No reverb, as I believe this effect is best dialed on the FOH console.

I have used my axe a few time for vocals. I Routed in the effects loop though, so i could use the second channel. Going out and insert on the mixer. Which is generally how i run effects and then the wet single i bring into a new channel on the mixer.

Any suggestions on a preamp? Seems like the rear input is the way to go. Does anyone think it is possible to get a sound equivalent to an Avalon or other high spec preamps?

Does anyone think it is possible to get a sound equivalent to an Avalon or other high spec preamps?

Well, the short answer is no.

The somewhat long answer is well, maybe, but not with Axe FX. The thing is, if you look at the specs of, say, Avalon M5, you'll see that they are terrible where they are even listed and some are simply missing.

Like, its signal to noise ratio is 100 dB, and the amount of distortion is huge, like -66 or even -44 dB, they have two different numbers on the same page listing the same spec. One of those numbers is an error. And they don't even list the frequency response in any meaningful way.

Even if you don't look at the specs, when you see words like "Class A" and "discrete components" in a device description you may be almost sure it's not a very good device in terms of transparency.

So if you have a sound card with such specs, it's called crap and sells for like $50. When you call it a preamp you sell it for thousands.

The whole point of such devices is to "sound good", which means distort the sound in some peculiar way. Guitar amps do it as well. But while there are numerous amp models in Axe, the mic preamp options aren't the focus there.

Works great, have an AxeFX dedicated to just vocals for live use. Currently running without amp or cab block but adding a cab or amp/cab can be interesting. 3 are glxd beta 58, one ulxd... being wireless they have line and mic out, we use line. Digital mixers can do lots of the cool stuff but AxeFX makes it so easy being familiar for compression, slap back delays, tape delay, micro pitch shift, distortions (awesome), etc.. if only autotune were an option =) Please Cliff, them then I could could be T-Pain on my out of tune, umm, guitars =)

I use mine for simple vocal processing all the time. I tend to just use a passive eq block and a cab block with a 'null' IR just so that I can use the preamp distortion. Sometimes I add a bit of tube pre but usually I find I prefer subtle preamp distortion and that that's enough on it's own.

I use a hardware compressor - FMR PBC-6A.

I tend to finish off the processing with plug-ins for some final EQ, de-essing, and often a bit more compression.

I've used the axe FX extensively for post-production on vocals. Generally I send the nicely recorded track back through the axe via the USB and use compression, EQ, reverb, delay, chorus and the enhancer. Sometimes its nice to add subtle distortion using a cab or drive block but mainly I find the reverb one of the best things about the axe for vocals. TBH, if i owned the fractal reverb plugin I do't think I'd bother putting the vocals through the axe as I could get results that are just as good from the DAW. However, beggars can't be choosers and $200 is a lot for me especially for a reverb that technically I already own!

Usually I EQ and compress the dry vocal recording a bit in the DAW then set the track outputs to the Axe's USB (to do this while using your sound card you need to set up an aggregate sound device on your computer). Get the patch right on the axe before recording back into the DAW via USB so no additional D/A A/D conversion is taking place. I export the axe patches to a folder for the project so that if i need to adjust the sound later I can load up the same sound, tweak and re-record.

I will post some links when my new album has been released - I've used the axe on all sorts, Vocals, Violin, Clarinet, and even Drums as well as mix reverbs for blend and size and obviously guitar and bass ;). It's become an invaluable piece of studio outboard.

thanks for the info guys. My question is how can would I route just using my rme ff400, sm58 and axe fx to get a vocal chain?

Back
Top Bottom