Using SPDIF with a FirePod (I'm a n00b)

thinkpad20

Inspired
So, I have my Ultra and I have my FirePod as an interface. I don't like running the Ultra into the firepod's normal inputs because they're kinda noisy and I think they're coloring the sound. But I don't see a good line-in option (the FirePod has a line-in return, but running into that, the level is very low... maybe other users could chime in on this one?)

Anyway, what I'd really like to do is use the digital audio so I can bypass any preamps and effectively just go straight from the Axe-FX to my speakers. But I have no idea how to set this up. I bought a two-plug RCA cord from RadioShack and I hooked one up from the digital out on the Axe to the digital in on the FirePod, and vice versa. First of all, I'm not sure if this is the cord I should be using. But secondly, it didn't produce any sound. At all. I don't know if I have to set it up to output digital audio; I don't know if I have to set up my FirePod a certain way to accept digital audio as a sound source... but anyway, I am obviously in over my head on this one, and help would be appreciated. :)

You should not have to do anything on your Axe-Fx to get it to spit out a digital signal. You should use a cable that's rated for digital audio (75-ohm coax) and set your input to accept a 24-bit/48kHz S/PDIF signal.

I don't have a Firepod, so unfortunately I can't tell you the specifics of configuring it.

-Steve

Well I got proper S/PDIF cables, and I set the clock source on my FirePod from "Internal" to "S/PDIF" but still don't have any sound. :? For right now I'm just running line level into the FirePod; it's not so bad but I'd like to get this up and running.

thinkpad20 said:
Well I got proper S/PDIF cables, and I set the clock source on my FirePod from "Internal" to "S/PDIF" but still don't have any sound. :? For right now I'm just running line level into the FirePod; it's not so bad but I'd like to get this up and running.

To you have the axe-fx set as Master in your Firepod. I don't own one so I don't know the settings on that.

Back
Top Bottom