Using Power Amp only

Hello. I'm using a Kraken V4 Preamp... running that into my Axe-Fx II for cabs, etc. I noticed that when I run my Kraken into a power amp and THEN into my Axe-Fx the overall sound and bottom end is superior. Now, to get rid of my hardware power amp, is there a way to use one of the amps in the Axe-Fx II, but get rid of the preamp part (so it's my Kraken tone) and get that same power amp type of boost? In other words, I want to use the power amp part of the 'amp' module, and not the preamp part.

There is no way to disable the preamp of an amp model (as much as some of us would like that...) but there is a workaround I use when I want to use a preamp pedal or other rack preamp.

I use the ‘tube pre’ model, then turn on power amp modelling (turn sag up above 0), and copy the speaker page resonances off some other amp model.

The ‘preamp’ section of the ‘Tube Pre’ model is supposed to be neutral, and the eq is flat when the controls are all at noon. Presumably this isn’t really any different than the front end of a rack power amp, or the FX return buffer in a tube amp head. Keep an eye on your input level and the input drive of the model.

You can also copy the advanced parameters out of another model if you like. I’ve spent a while tweaking one patch to sound similar to my Fryette 2/50/2.

Some parameters don’t act like they do in other regular amp models, or don’t work at all. For instance, the dynamic depth/presence controls don’t do anything.

If you don’t want to go this route, there are other hardware units out there that model power amp only, such as the Amplifire, Mooer Radar, Torpedo CAB. I’ve never tried any of these though so I can’t compare.

Wait are you running an actual power amp into the Axe Fx? I would imagine this is highly discouraged. Wouldn’t the output (if set high enough) fry the Axe?

Back
Top Bottom