Using Pedal 4 to Control Saturation

brianv4

Fractal Fanatic
I have a few presets setup so that pedal 4 engages the saturation switch. Problem is, if the pedal isn't connected saturation is always on. I'm using a Boss footswitch set to latching so the light is on when saturation is engaged but I just tried it set to momentary and it works the same way. Is this a bug or can this behavior be changed so it only engages when the pedal is connected?

I also have delay input set to an expression pedal and same thing; no pedal plugged in delay is set to max (per controller settings.

The AxeFx doesn't behave this way :-(

Last edited:
You have to set your modifiers up to work with the initial ext % in the I/O menu,or you can change this value to be either 0% or 100% in the I/O menu under cntrl, I believe. This will set your modifiers with external controllers to the set state upon start up if no pedal is connected.

Initial value on the external controllers works only when midi CC's are assigned to them. There is no method to detect whether or not a pedal is plugged directly into the AX8. There is a pullup resistor on the input that pulls it to 100% if the pedal is not plugged in.

We just looked at this internally. The only way to use the initial value is to have AX8 use the initial value until it detects movement. We tried this, and the Beta testers overwhelmingly did not like it. The majority of folks want the controller value to assume the pedal value immediately. This, by the way, is how the AxeFX, FX8, and the AX8 behave. I tested this. However, most people do not plug their expreasion pedals directly into the AxeFX. Most folks plug into the MFC, so they do not experience this behavior.

well that explains quite a bit. thank you! So why doesn't it happen with the wah block then?

well that explains quite a bit. thank you! So why doesn't it happen with the wah block then?
It depends on how the modifier is configured. I typically set the wah up to auto-engaged on medium speed. That way it does not engage until the pedal moves significantly.

I swear I will never stop learning. Ok good to know about the initial value is only with midi control. @brianv4 Can you invert your modifier to give you the off state at 100%?

Back
Top Bottom