Using MFC as a looper

ajd00m

I've tried this a few times and failed, so i've come to the forum to be a pain in the ass again. Right now I am trying to set IA 2 and 3 as rec and play, and it doesnt seem to be working. I have gone thru my mfc manual, and looked for my in depth posts but there doesnt seem to be any out there that i've stumbled upon. So is there anyway to do this?? I only want to reassign those two switches. And if you have a answer, please explain it the easiest, because im super confused and really pissed this isn't working, and I dont want to break something.

I think Yek or someone has posted a configuration for this... not the same IAs as you wanted... the looper uses specific CC numbers for the functions...

I think there is info about that... search on looper....

Sorry, I don't have the info directly.. (I have an RC50 next to the MFC... using that for now...)

I use IA 1-5 in Reveal mode to control the looper. You can set it up like this:

In the MFC Midi settings go to IA01 and set it to Axe-Fx NONE

Then IA02 Axe-Fx NONE
IA03 Axe-Fx NONE
IA04 Axe-Fx NONE
IA05 Axe-Fx NONE

Now go to the next page and set IA01 c1 CC#029 Ch01
IA01 c1 CC#030 Ch01
IA01 c1 CC#031 Ch01
IA01 c1 CC#032 Ch01
IA01 c1 CC#033 Ch01

I am using delay 2 as the looper, if you use delay 1 you'll need CC#24-28 (assuming you have not changed the CC assignments!). When in performance mode if you press reveal you now have the following looper controls on switches 1-5:
Record, Play, Once, Stack, Reverse.

Then IA02 Axe-Fx NONE
IA03 Axe-Fx NONE
IA04 Axe-Fx NONE
IA05 Axe-Fx NONE

IA01 c1 CC#030 Ch01
IA01 c1 CC#031 Ch01
IA01 c1 CC#032 Ch01
IA01 c1 CC#033 Ch01

I am using delay 2 as the looper, if you use delay 1 you'll need CC#24-28 (assuming you have not changed the CC assignments!). When in performance mode if you press reveal you now have the following looper controls on switches 1-5:

This is how I sert up mine as well. Dont forget, if you are using a Axe-II then the CC#'s are 28-32.

Then IA02 Axe-Fx NONE
IA03 Axe-Fx NONE
IA04 Axe-Fx NONE
IA05 Axe-Fx NONE

IA01 c1 CC#030 Ch01
IA01 c1 CC#031 Ch01
IA01 c1 CC#032 Ch01
IA01 c1 CC#033 Ch01

For clarification when using an Ultra, I think the set-up should look like this.

IA01 c1 CC#029 Ch01
IA02 c1 CC#030 Ch01
IA03 c1 CC#031 Ch01
IA04 c1 CC#032 Ch01
IA05 c1 CC#033 Ch01

For an Axe-II, like this:

IA01 c1 CC#028 Ch01
IA02 c1 CC#029 Ch01
IA03 c1 CC#030 Ch01
IA04 c1 CC#031 Ch01
IA05 c1 CC#032 Ch01

Please correct me if I that is wrong.

So does this mean if you don't have a looper in the accessed preset that those 5 switches are basically dead. I guess what I'm trying to understand (I really have read the manual) is whether IA switches can have different functions by preset?

Sorry if this is obvious .....not yet to me.

MM

You can't change MFC IA settings per preset but you could set some externals or block bypasses to the same CC#s.

ajd00m: Did you get your answer? Is this working now?

For my part, I am having trouble turning the looper on and off with the IA specifically assigned to LOOPER in Axe FX mode.
I do not know if this is a bug or if I am doing something wrong. If I set an IA to LOOPER, it will not engage or bypass the LOOPER. The button, when pressed, does absolutely nothing. It does not show LOOPER (like the other switches show briefly CHORUS or FLANGER). It shows and does nothing. Anybody else have this issue?

So does this mean if you don't have a looper in the accessed preset that those 5 switches are basically dead. I guess what I'm trying to understand (I really have read the manual) is whether IA switches can have different functions by preset?

Sorry if this is obvious .....not yet to me.

MM

This is probably why (certainly is the case for me) guitarbigal is using 1 - 5 as his looper functions. When you need them they're just a reveal tap away. In any non-looper patches though, you don't have a whole row of dead switches in your main lot of IA switches (i.e. the ones that aren't normally presets, assuming you're using the 5 preset per bank set up).

Yes I guess but I'd probably rather use them for other things . Good to know but I think I'll pass for now and probably use an external footswitch if I find the need.

ajd00m: Did you get your answer? Is this working now?

For my part, I am having trouble turning the looper on and off with the IA specifically assigned to LOOPER in Axe FX mode.
I do not know if this is a bug or if I am doing something wrong. If I set an IA to LOOPER, it will not engage or bypass the LOOPER. The button, when pressed, does absolutely nothing. It does not show LOOPER (like the other switches show briefly CHORUS or FLANGER). It shows and does nothing. Anybody else have this issue?

I haven't tried using the LOOPER IA switch, but I can't really think of a reason for needing it - why do you want to be able to turn the looper block off? If you haven't recorded a loop it won't do anything anyway and if you have recorded one you can use the Play/Stop or Play Once commands to control it.

Also think carefully about how many switches you really need - you might well be able to get by with just REC, PLAY and STACK, or even just REC and PLAY. That way you only "lose" two switches when your patch has no looper in it. Now that I've said that, I realise for myself that I don't really need PLAY ONCE at all either, and REVERSE hardly ever gets stepped on!

For clarification when using an Ultra, I think the set-up should look like this.

IA01 c1 CC#029 Ch01
IA02 c1 CC#030 Ch01
IA03 c1 CC#031 Ch01
IA04 c1 CC#032 Ch01
IA05 c1 CC#033 Ch01

For an Axe-II, like this:

IA01 c1 CC#028 Ch01
IA02 c1 CC#029 Ch01
IA03 c1 CC#030 Ch01
IA04 c1 CC#031 Ch01
IA05 c1 CC#032 Ch01

Please correct me if I that is wrong.

Yes, that's what I meant - thanks! Two much copy&paste and not enough active brain cells...

In case my previous post wasn't clear, here's an example of how to make a looper switch usable for other things:

In the I/O menu set some External # and a looper function to the same CC#, that of the IA switch.

In presets with no looper, assign the External to whatever you want.

In looper presets don't assign the External to anything.

Or you could combine a looper function with some block's I/O menu bypass. In that case you'd have to be aware that block would normally switch on/off when you're using the looper, requiring one of 2 workarounds:

A. Use a different instance of the block if available, or

B. Assign a bypass modifier to that block, which overrides the I/O bypass control. The source could either be some other External IA/pedal not shared with a looper function, or any source with start/mid/end all set above 50% to keep the block engaged in that preset.

In case my previous post wasn't clear, here's an example of how to make a looper switch usable for other things:

In the I/O menu set some External # and a looper function to the same CC#, that of the IA switch.

In presets with no looper, assign the External to whatever you want.

In looper presets don't assign the External to anything.

Or you could combine a looper function with some block's I/O menu bypass. In that case you'd have to be aware that block would normally switch on/off when you're using the looper, requiring one of 2 workarounds:

A. Use a different instance of the block if available, or

B. Assign a bypass modifier to that block, which overrides the I/O bypass control. The source could either be some other External IA/pedal not shared with a looper function, or any source with start/mid/end all set above 50% to keep the block engaged in that preset.

Clearly I need to spend more time with my MFC, coz even though it all seems to be in plain enough language, your post still broke my brain.

Yeah, mine's hurting too, but I think I'm sort of starting to understand it now! At the moment I have enough switches to cover my needs though, so I think I'll leave that path untrodden for now.

It never ceases to amaze me how ingenious so many users are on this forum. Quite humbling at times!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Or you can just program the patch with the looper on...it will not do anything until you hit record and hit record again...in essence one way to avoid on off switch. Play then acts as playback or not....

Back
Top Bottom