Using input 2 for recording / MIDI notes over USB

Rook

Power User
Hi all,

Just recently got my Axe II (And what a wonderful bit of kit it is!). Having trouble with something, and since manual reading/forum searching/wiki didn't help I thought it was worth an ask here. What I am trying to do is set up a powerful and compact laptop rig for composing. How I had hoped to do this is thus:

Guitar into front panel input, USB to laptop, monitor with headphones. (all this works perfectly)

Keyboard MIDI in/out to Axe MIDI out/in, keyboard audio to Axe input 2 l/r, USB to laptop, select "AXE 3/4" in DAW, monitor with headphones.

This part working... not so much.

First the Midi side of things... I don't sem to be seeing the MIDI note data at the DAW (Cubase 4.7, if it matters). I have MIDI thru and USB adaptor mode set to ON, and when I play notes on the synth the AXE shows midi activity. Cubase seems to see MIDI *activity*, but not MIDI *notes*. Does the AXE not pass MIDI note data? The manual doesn't seem to state one way or the other, but I had kind of assumed...

As for the audio, I could send the audio from input 2 to AXE 1/2 in the DAW by dropping an FX loop right next to the output. This is useable, but not the elegant solution I was hoping for. Is there a way that I can have my synth plugged in to Input 2, and whatever patch I am on record the raw (unaffected) signal at Input 2 by selecting AXE 3/4 at the DAW?

Neither is a dealbreaker; I still love my Axe. I'm just hoping someone can say "Oh thats easy, just set your xyz to ON and your doodad to blah and you are all set" and I'll be in lounge room studio heaven:eek:)

Cheers!
/R

It should pass MIDI notes, but I have not actually checked. Email support@ and I will help you there, then you can report back here.

yes, it will pass midi notes, but you have to go to I/O > Midi and turn "usb adaptor mode on". midi notes will then be passed to the daw down the usb cable, so select axe fx as your midi source.

Good to know it should pass midi notes. Thanks for the confirmation. Unfortunately I did have usb adaptor mode turned on, and no dice.

Cheers,
/R

hmmm...this was definitely one of the user requests that was fulfilled.....in 5.07, i think....

Back
Top Bottom