Using in scene mode

Man, I have been pretty happy with my switching, seems similar to my tube amps were (dual recto, tremoverb, and mark iv) they often had a pop sound when switching too.
this is exactly why i went to an Axe Ultra way back. my Roadster would pop during the gig when i changed channels.

changing sounds has always been an issue for musicians, especially guitarists. that's why line switchers exist, why pros use 4 of the same amp to change audio only for 4 different sounds, etc., leaving them on one channel the entire night. i guess many people don't realize this.

some less expensive digital gear that doesn't use as much CPU might change instantly, but it's because it's not working as hard as the Axe and other gear.

gaps or noise when changing channels isn't anything new. some don't have that experience, and that's ok. but believe some of us, many things have the same issue.

it's great to wish for faster switching of course. and as i've mentioned, Fractal will update the FM3 when possible to be as fast as it can. the Axe3 had a gap with Scenes, then they updated it to have no gap in most situations.

I mapped the gain and level to an expression pedal for rhythm to lead. Same technique for clean to rhythm, and add chorus and delay. First rehearsal with the FM3 was last night. Rig worked great. Perhaps you could use a (slightly) less brutal amp, and map a boost to make up the difference.

This. Changing channels on a tube amp isn't the instant experience that a lot of people remember it as.

I know the fm3 is so wonderful we all want it to be everything possible and beyond. Kind of get the frustration, but if I remember how things were +-30 years ago and compare to what I can do know is just night and day.

I had a jcm Marshall that sounded ok at ear splitting level and the channel switching popped super loud... to give me the option of a pretty bad overdrive channel. My band mates knew that every time they heard the explosion it was bad tone time

For those who use the JP2C models...

There is definitely a lag when switching between channels. I tend to use the yellow channel for rhythm and the red channel for lead. I found a work around with the yellow channel by using control switches, scene controllers, and a Mesa Boogie Graphic EQ post-amp for leads. Thanks LEON TODD!!!!!!!!!! It worked like a charm. There is still a very small gap when I switch to the green channel for cleans (in a different scene) but it is slight. I can live with that lag time.

The funny thing is that I actually prefer the new lead sound, and it's easier to adjust EQ settings live, which is how I use my FM3.

This. Changing channels on a tube amp isn't the instant experience that a lot of people remember it as.

Lotta players with an interesting memory regarding tube amp channels.
The III's channel "gap" is less than half that of the channel switch on my Fender Super. I haven't measured the FM3's, but it's still definitely faster than the Super. And without the pop.

Reactions: Rex
Lotta players with an interesting memory regarding tube amp channels.
The III's channel "gap" is less than half that of the channel switch on my Fender Super. I haven't measured the FM3's, but it's still definitely faster than the Super. And without a click.
yup. i developed my "press the switch a bit early" habit on ... wait for it ... real amps long before the Axe-Fx ever existed :D

Back
Top Bottom