Using FM3 OD pedals in front of your amp

I've owned an Axe III and I agree, on that unit they were good. But the fixed impedance on the FM3 may change the way they behave, right?

I believe that would only apply to using the fuzz models in the drive block, but don't quote me on that. I know there are workarounds, but I honestly never use fuzz. I usually only use overdrive/boosts to tighten up the low end or drive the input of the amp model harder.

Edit: Found this on the wiki:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Drive_block#Fuzz.2C_buffers_and_impedance

bump, how are the fuzzes treating y'all with a fixed input impedance?

Yeah, i'd like to know too. I'd think that for any modeler, they may be an issue to reproduce to their individual counterparts. I was just going to buy a fuzz separately if I needed the fuzzies.

Yeah, i'd like to know too. I'd think that for any modeler, they may be an issue to reproduce to their individual counterparts. I was just going to buy a fuzz separately if I needed the fuzzies.
I actually found the Helix had pretty usable fuzzes. Unfortunately when I had my III I never really dove deep into them, but like the Helix it shares a variable impedance so they both likely are accurate in terms of the fuzz/guitar interaction. With the way I'd be using the FM3 (as a self contained grab n go unit) having a good fuzz in there would be important to me. I got my invite yesterday for the headphone but I'm going to hold out and wait to see if anyone has thoughts on this.

Last edited:
IIRC the input inpedance for all the fuzzes now default to 1M, so I'm not sure the variable impedance is a must have to accurately simulate them.

All I know is that I've always preferred fractal fuzz sims to those of the Helix which are a bit too nasty/spitty for my tastes. OTOH I still prefer the real fuzzes I own, but I never carry them when playing live cuz the simulations on the axe fx are good enough and versatile anyway.

Regarding other drive types they're virtually indistinguishable from the real ones, at least those I own.

I'm actually thinking about adding an horizon precision drive for my metal sound as soon as I get my FM3. I really need a tight boost since I used high gain satured tones 70 % of my playing time.

I can say that when I had the AX8, the drive were nice! he only thing I had issues was fuzz. Altough I alway had issues with fuzz in general LOL.

You basically get everything you need. Tubescreamers, rat, xotic style, Fulltones, Boss, Tube drive, etc....

No Klon yet, though.

Dial in yer own fuzz if you don't like the stock models. I like the temperature stability of modeled Germanium Transistors: always predicable. Or pick from 12 other options. Then there's clip shape, and slew rate among the advanced parameters: target the frequency range with EQ and its hard to imagine you couldn't get exactly what you want in a fuzz. I was always able to make something that scratched the itch with the AX8: And the FM3 kicks it up to another level. So far I haven't felt any need to go beyond the stock tone and drive controls for any of the various OD and Distortion models I've used thus far. They're great as is. So much depends on the amp you are driving: so it really is helpful to have the advanced parameters available: To get them to play nicely with a hardware amp: whereas a hardware pedal might not have the EQ adjustment matched up optimally.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom