Using FM3 OD pedals in front of your amp

I tried it a couple times and liked the results. I sold a Keeley D&M drive because I didn’t think it gave me anything I couldn’t get with the FM3. I have an old SD-1 that I also compared it with and also thought the FM3 drive model was just as good. But I’m not the biggest pedal guy and tend to prefer the tones from a cranked up amps over pedals.

I'm actually thinking about adding an horizon precision drive for my metal sound as soon as I get my FM3. I really need a tight boost since I used high gain satured tones 70 % of my playing time.

I can say that when I had the AX8, the drive were nice! he only thing I had issues was fuzz. Altough I alway had issues with fuzz in general LOL.

You basically get everything you need. Tubescreamers, rat, xotic style, Fulltones, Boss, Tube drive, etc....

Last edited:
Details are overrated apparently
There are mountains of threads on the subject here in the Fractal forum. The details are there. All you have to do is search for them, go on YouTube and look there for the decade’s worth of documented preset building tutorials and demonstrations, and so on. You didn’t have any kind of specific question in your original post. Yeah sure maybe you were just trying to get a conversation going, but sometimes some folk just feel exhausted by seeing the same thread yet again, so you got a little dose of Chris’ snark.

I’m not exhausted, I just answered the question. No snark really intended. Others can answer too ;)

Reactions: Rex
There are mountains of threads on the subject here in the Fractal forum. The details are there. All you have to do is search for them, go on YouTube and look there for the decade’s worth of documented preset building tutorials and demonstrations, and so on. You didn’t have any kind of specific question in your original post. Yeah sure maybe you were just trying to get a conversation going, but sometimes some folk just feel exhausted by seeing the same thread yet again, so you got a little dose of Chris’ snark.

I don’t know if “mountains” is the right word here. I’ve seen plenty of threads comparing the Fractal drives to other drives that are also running through the Fractal, but not many at all where the Fractal is being used as a pedal board to feed a tube amp. Most threads are older, and compare the reverbs and delays to Strymon. Drives? Not so much, and there even seems to be a stigma that Fractals previous drive tones weren’t that great (not nearly as good as they are now). So yeah, pretty curious how the landscape is currently.

Last edited:
I'm actually thinking about adding an horizon precision drive for my metal sound as soon as I get my FM3. I really need a tight boost since I used high gain satured tones 70 % of my playing time.

I can say that when I had the AX8, the drive were nice! he only thing I had issues was fuzz. Altough I alway had issues with fuzz in general LOL.

You basically get everything you need. Tubescreamers, rat, xotic style, Fulltones, Boss, Tube drive, etc....

You can definitely do what the PD does in the FM3, and so much more.

Curious to hear how Fractal’s ODs stack up against traditional pedals?

Fractal Audio’s overdrives and distortions are (for the exception of a few virtually created ones) modeled after actual pedals. They sound and behave identical to their solid state counterparts. Of course this is all subjective, given that they are modeled. But in my experience (and to my ears) they were good enough to sell off all of my pedals.

Fractal Audio’s overdrives and distortions are (for the exception of a few virtually created ones) modeled after actual pedals. They sound and behave identical to their solid state counterparts. Of course this is all subjective, given that they are modeled. But in my experience (and to my ears) they were good enough to sell off all of my pedals.
I've owned an Axe III and I agree, on that unit they were good. But the fixed impedance on the FM3 may change the way they behave, right?

Back
Top Bottom