Using both inputs, but not at the same time

Gneiss

Hi, im playing guitar at a christmas concert in a week, and im starting to get stressed while trying to find my tone. Im playing mostly electrical guitar, but some acoustic.

My question is; is it possible for me to have the acoustic guitar connected to my rear input constantly (without have to disconnect while i play electrical) and my electrical in the front input? In such a way that when i have my preset for electrical guitar "EL-PRESETX" i use the front input, and while i quickly switch preset (and guitars) to "ACOUSTIC-PRESETSOMETHING1" The input switches aswell, so now its the rear that is active?

Edit: I guess what im asking is if inputs can be assigned to individual prestets?

Hope this makes sense and someone can answer me! :)

Yes they can be plugged in at the same time. You would choose Front input in the I/O menu and leave it set that. Electric to Front Input (which is actually Input 1 Left) and Acoustic to Rear Input 1 right.

Add a volume block (there are 4 available) to the first block in every preset. For electric guitar presets choose LEFT (I believe it's on the 2nd page) and MONO output in the volume block. For acoustic presets choose RIGHT and MONO.

Last edited:
And adding to that: set Input 1 Mode to Stereo.

Apart from presets, you can use Scenes to switch between the connections if you want, enabling/bypassing those VOL blocks per scene (with Bypass set to Mute in each one).

Or assign those Bypass parameters to an external controller, assigned to a switch on your floor controller, enabling you to stomp a switch to switch between both guitar signals.

Last edited:
Don't mean to hijack but I have a similar question. Can I rout the output to separate amps? Example, I play a MMJP with a piezo pu and what I want to do is have the magnetic pickups go to my cabinet and the piezo to the PA. Cu rent set up is a stereo cord to a splitter box tip to cabinet, ring to PA but currently not running the piezo to the Axe

I had an issue with a similar setup in which I had a keyboard (arturia minibrute) running through the right channel, and guitar running through the left (front input). The issue was that guitar seemed to bleed into the reverb I was running on the right signal path even if I had the volume turned all the way down on the left path (volume pedal attached to an external pedal) but not vice versa. Both paths were panned hard at the output as I'm running them mono to two channels at FOH. It seemed as though left was not distinctly left but right was distinctly right (no signal bleed from the minibrute into the guitar effects when that path was turned all the way down. Any thoughts? I feel as though I'm missing something very simple.

I had an issue with a similar setup in which I had a keyboard (arturia minibrute) running through the right channel, and guitar running through the left (front input). The issue was that guitar seemed to bleed into the reverb I was running on the right signal path even if I had the volume turned all the way down on the left path (volume pedal attached to an external pedal) but not vice versa. Both paths were panned hard at the output as I'm running them mono to two channels at FOH. It seemed as though left was not distinctly left but right was distinctly right (no signal bleed from the minibrute into the guitar effects when that path was turned all the way down. Any thoughts? I feel as though I'm missing something very simple.

If you could post the preset it would be easier to determine what might be happening. Also if you can verify or remember: input 1 & output 1 mode were both set to stereo?

>Yes they can be plugged in at the same time. You would choose Front input in the I/O menu and leave it set that. Electric to Front Input (which is actually Input 1 Left) and Acoustic to Rear Input 1 Left.
Add a volume block (there are 4 available) to the first block in every preset. For electric guitar presets choose LEFT (I believe it's on the 2nd page) and MONO output in the volume block. For acoustic presets choose RIGHT and MONO.<

>And adding to that: set Input 1 Mode to Stereo.<

This might be TREMENDOUSLY helpful to me, as I've been searching for a way to switch between inputs on a "preset-by-preset" basis. This is exactly that... correct?
I'm confused about something, though, which I can't clear up in the Wiki.

It looks like Chris and Yek are on the same wavelength here. Are you guys saying that when Input 1 Mode is set to Stereo in the I/O, that then the Front Panel input is now Input 1 Left, and the the Rear Input 1 is now Input 1 Right?

If that's the case, then I get everything you're saying, and will try this immediately. TIA for clearing this up!

Last edited:
I'll try to grab the preset tomorrow when I have it up. Both input and output 1 were set to stereo

>Yes they can be plugged in at the same time. You would choose Front input in the I/O menu and leave it set that. Electric to Front Input (which is actually Input 1 Left) and Acoustic to Rear Input 1 Left.
Add a volume block (there are 4 available) to the first block in every preset. For electric guitar presets choose LEFT (I believe it's on the 2nd page) and MONO output in the volume block. For acoustic presets choose RIGHT and MONO.<

>And adding to that: set Input 1 Mode to Stereo.<

This might be TREMENDOUSLY helpful to me, as I've been searching for a way to switch between inputs on a "preset-by-preset" basis. This is exactly that... correct?
I'm confused about something, though, which I can't clear up in the Wiki.

It looks like Chris and Yek are on the same wavelength here. Are you guys saying that when Input 1 Mode is set to Stereo in the I/O, that then the Front Panel input is now Input 1 Left, and the the Rear Input 1 is now Input 1 Right?

If that's the case, then I get everything you're saying, and will try this immediately. TIA for clearing this up!

input 1 on the front is input 1 left
input 1 on the back is left and right, so use the right input

this is the method i use to selct whether i want to use the front input or the rear input on a patch by patch basis, as i have a Y cable from the guitar with mags and piezo outputs

no, you don't need a preamp. just run the piezo side into the volume block (input select right), then into the tube pre amp type to boost the level and do some tone shaping. you can then run into a cab block with one of the fishman aura IR's, or the tonematch block and do a tonematch of a nice acoustic demo on youtube, or a tommy emmanuel recording on spotify

>input 1 on the front is input 1 left
input 1 on the back is left and right, so use the right input<

I initially couldn't make Chris' suggestion work... but with this tweak, it's doing exactly what I want. Thanks Simeon, Chris and Yek!

>input 1 on the front is input 1 left
input 1 on the back is left and right, so use the right input<

I initially couldn't make Chris' suggestion work... but with this tweak, it's doing exactly what I want. Thanks Simeon, Chris and Yek!

Oops sorry I had a typo and meant to say use rear input 1 RIGHT!!

>For electric guitar presets choose LEFT (I believe it's on the 2nd page) and MONO output in the volume block. For acoustic presets choose RIGHT and MONO.<

Chris, I'm confused by the "Mono output in the volume block" part. I THINK I've got exactly what I need now, simply by following your suggestion about using the Vol block to switch the Volume block INPUT to Right for acoustic patches, and Left for electric patches. But I've done no switching of the Volume block's OUTPUT... and I don't see where I'm allowed to do that.

What am I missing?

>For electric guitar presets choose LEFT (I believe it's on the 2nd page) and MONO output in the volume block. For acoustic presets choose RIGHT and MONO.<

Chris, I'm confused by the "Mono output in the volume block" part. I THINK I've got exactly what I need now, simply by following your suggestion about using the Vol block to switch the Volume block INPUT to Right for acoustic patches, and Left for electric patches. But I've done no switching of the Volume block's OUTPUT... and I don't see where I'm allowed to do that.

What am I missing?
so sorry... that Mono thing was for a Mixer block. i really mixed things up!!

for a clearer explanation, see my blog and video here - Axe-FX II – Using 2 guitars at once : Katsu Kuri Media Blog

don't use the Mixer blocks like i first show, but use the Volume blocks, as mentioned at the end of the written blog and 1/2 way through the video - you just choose right and left, no mono/stereo to choose in the volume block. sorry!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom